Thread: DIY Dust Boots

RC Competitor

Lightbulb DIY Dust Boots

Good afternoon boys and girls

So I finally got around to tearing the truck completely down in order to re-lube the diffs and inspect everything else. During this process I realized all the pivot ball dust boots were severely torn and needed to be replaced. Instead of replacing them with the flimsy OEM ones I decided to try finding a suitable replacement that would be more robust. I had some reusable rubber gloves under the sink that I thought would make for a possible solution. I proceeded to cut the tips of the gloves off and melted a hole through the center using a lighter and a small hex key. I recommend cutting the tips of the gloves a little large so you ensure the boot has just enough give without being compromised in the full range of motions. You can use a craft knife later to remove the excess material as you see fit. If and when the time comes to replace these ones I will consider upgrading to gloves that contain a Cotton Fleece Lining as I believe they will be even less prone to tearing. I will be taking the truck out this weekend so will see how the replacements hold up to the trails. Let me know what you guys think and if you know of any other more suitable materials!

Last edited by Hman; 03-21-2017 at 01:51 AM.

RC Competitor
    Good to see I'm not the only one using house hold items on a summit. Keep up the good work! I will be posting a little something soon about some custom mods I did, with things I had laying around the house.

Stock dust boots are junk, I can't believe Traxxas hasn't fixed that yet, nice workaround you did there!
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC poster
    I also decided to do it myself. But did this "grown-up" - made a 3d model of the boot and mold. They are made of silicone.
    The main problem of the original boot is in its form. It "bites" when you work the suspension. I saved him from that.

Last edited by KostaVVeber; 10-28-2017 at 11:21 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KostaVVeber View Post
    I also decided to do it myself. But did this "grown-up" - made a 3d model of the boot and mold. They are made of silicone.
    The main problem of the original boot is in its form. It "bites" when you work the suspension. I saved him from that.

Those look so much better than the stock pos boots, nice work. What’s your PayPal email address so i can send you money for a set? Seriously, you need to sell these! Please let me know if they’re available.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRevo View Post
    Those look so much better than the stock pos boots, nice work. What’s your PayPal email address so i can send you money for a set? Seriously, you need to sell these! Please let me know if they’re available.
    I second that. Would love to try a set as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 more for a set of those.
    Top job

RC Qualifier
    Yes Pm me if for sale please.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC poster
    I think you would do well on eBay. I would certainly add my name to the list of purchasers.

RC Competitor
    Looks like IDRevo took your advice as these silicone aftermarket dust boots are now available for purchase on eBay! I just placed a order and look forward to reviewing them here! My DIY ones have worn out since so I am excited to try these out!

Silicone dust boots Traxxas Revo, Summit, T-Maxx - 9+4 PSc.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-du...8AAOSwZaNaBG61

RC Qualifier
    Nice but $$$ What do they cost to 3d print a few bucks?
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

RC Competitor
    How much money do you spend on your RC? What is a couple extra bucks haha I think this price is pretty reasonable given all the other over priced parts on the market. How much would you charge if you were producing/shipping these from Russia? I actually got mine for $20.

Anyone who spends approximately $16-18 on (1) 5378X and (2) Traxxas 5459 should just throw their money straight in the trash. I would rather pay a couple bucks extra for a seemingly superior product that may be made by another fellow Rc enthusiast who took some initiative to improve upon an inferior part that will outlast the OEM garbage. I hope to write a review in the coming days.

It costs Traxxas pennies to produce those rubber dust boots.
    Last edited by Hman; 01-24-2018 at 02:16 AM.