Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1/5 scale motor in Slash 4x4

Hey guys,

Does anybody know of a mounting bracket that is available to put a 5th scale motor in a Slash 4x4 or do I need to fabricate one?

I am trying to put this motor in one of my Platinums.

Castle Creations Mamba XL X 34V ESC 20A + 2028 800kV Combo

Thanks for any tips!

-Shack

RC Racer
    I wanna see this when this is done.
    You do realize the entire drivetrain is just going to basically disintegrate when you press the throttle,
    That's WAY to much power for a slash 4x4.

It's like putting a train engine into a VW beetle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    I wanna see this when this is done.
    You do realize the entire drivetrain is just going to basically disintegrate when you press the throttle,
    That's WAY to much power for a slash 4x4.

It's like putting a train engine into a VW beetle

Hey Panek33,

Without a doubt you are right. It would shred some parts pretty darn quick if you treated it like it's a basher. This Slash will have but one reason for existence... top speed. From what I have read, and a little common sense, easing in to the throttle is the ONLY way to go with this kind of setup. It will be a fun project!

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Saga custom Rc makes one i think...
    http://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p3...s34753%29.html
    i think i have seen more than one thread on here with people putting these massive motors in. i am positive it was tried on an XO-1 with little success. from what i remember reading the XO thread... the motor made so much torque that it twists the chassis, and the two tires on the left would diff-out because the torque put all the weight onto the right-side wheels.
    i say try it!! what could possibly go wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    Saga custom Rc makes one i think...
    http://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p3...s34753%29.html
    i think i have seen more than one thread on here with people putting these massive motors in. i am positive it was tried on an XO-1 with little success. from what i remember reading the XO thread... the motor made so much torque that it twists the chassis, and the two tires on the left would diff-out because the torque put all the weight onto the right-side wheels.
    i say try it!! what could possibly go wrong...
    MANY THANKS DUDE!!! I saw this mount in a few 150+mph cars while watching some videos but the guys never mentioned what mount it was so I never had a clue who made it. Clicked your link, they had two in stock, so I took one off their hands!

Yeah, I can see where some bracing will be needed IF the stock chassis is gonna be used. The issue with the motor twisting the car into a pretzel can hopefully be minimized. Might be forced to use a plate though. I'm sure I will tear some stuff up but that's just part of it no matter what your driving!

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Yes beefred has with that motor, there are a bunch of guys using the esc.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

The weight alone....that things gonna want 6s at the least and will probably need 8s to shine! Good luck! Be sure to post pics and results.

lol...kidding!! Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    The weight alone....that things gonna want 6s at the least and will probably need 8s to shine! Good luck! Be sure to post pics and results.

lol...kidding!! Good luck!!
    Love the pic! It will be heavy but I see lots of guys need to add extra weight for their speed runs. Hopefully I can balance it out and take advantage of the motor weight to assist keeping it a car and not an airplane. And you know it brother... two 7000mah 4S packs in series to make this baby scoot! I will probably start out with the 6S power though to try and get the feel of what she'll do.

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Love the pic! It will be heavy but I see lots of guys need to add extra weight for their speed runs. Hopefully I can balance it out and take advantage of the motor weight to assist keeping it a car and not an airplane. And you know it brother... two 7000mah 4S packs in series to make this baby scoot! I will probably start out with the 6S power though to try and get the feel of what she'll do.

-Shack
    lol..was posted on a local Facebook page I'm a member of. Kidding aside, hope all works out well for ya and keep us posted!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Bling bling yo! Fo shizzle my nizzle fo realz!

Last edited by jimbo74; 03-24-2017 at 03:45 PM.

You will need 8S brushless system with huge motor and XO-1 wheels. Let us know how it goes. Hahaha

Custom fabrication is the probably your best option I speak of experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am going to take it to the track

The saga won't work it's for a posideon 2028 motor

Quote Originally Posted by Beefred00013 View Post

Thanks for the input Bee. Got some questions please! I see that you actually got that motor (750, 780, 800, ?) parked in there. For how much power/torque that puppy has, everything still looks pretty straight!

Have you driven it much?

Did you make your plate? I saw what looked to be the Saga plate (same shape) with Castle motors attached. What you said makes sense though because after studying the image of the product a bit, the holes don't seem right. If not, I'll drill the holes I need, if possible, or just make a plate.

What springs are you running?

What have you broken?

If you have a few minutes I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

-Shack

Quote Originally Posted by Beefred00013 View Post

That was pretty funny Milt & Grip dogs! Thanks for the laugh!

Thought I'd pass this on through your post since there's not too many of us dropping M1 Abrams motors in our Slash!

You were right... at least in part. I contacted Saga and they responded quickly. This mount won't work for me... or anyone else with a 2028 motor, no matter the make. It's all good though. I will at least give this plate a try in one of my sensored 2650 trucks to see how it drives with a center-mounted motor.

SL4SH - I appreciate you trying brother! Would have been nice but hey, I like to fabricate stuff anyway so I'll just make one like Beefred did. Fortunately, it is one of the easier pieces to make. No fancy cuts other than to maybe add some style.

-Shack

Last edited by shack351; 03-26-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Broke almost everything on it once at least I made the plate my self out of the thickest k & n aluminum plate and doubled it up the most important thing and took me months of trial and error to figure out is the only way to hold then motor in a certain position is using counter sunk washers to hold the motor 2 screws will do

Springs hot racing on road 18lbs springs

RC Enthusiast
    I install Mamba Monster 2 - 2650kv - Center diff broke - Left rear axle broke. Stop trust Traxxas and buy Arrma Typhon.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappokone View Post
    I install Mamba Monster 2 - 2650kv - Center diff broke - Left rear axle broke. Stop trust Traxxas and buy Arrma Typhon.

Sounds like you don't know how to handle your truck.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappokone View Post

I have a bigger motor in my slash and I haven't broke anything

supporting my addiction one paycheck at a time

this is what the plate should look like

Thanks for the pic there good buddy... I appreciate it! Always nice to see an example when doing some custom work like this.

I was also curious if you recall what grade of aluminum you used and what the thickness was.

-Shack

I meant to say K & S aluminum sheets

thats AWSOME!!!

i can't imagine the power you'll have
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...27#post6370127

thats awesome i am making a miniature version of yours lol
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

RC Qualifier
    it's not that the motor twists the body. the torque actually twists the entire vehicle. therefore pushing down on the right-side while picking up on the left side.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-wheelie/page2
    this is the XO thread where it puts a massive mote in. but he also tries 1/5 scale tires also.

RC Enthusiast
    Smelted diff. Thats what happens when you use plastic.

Looked inside gears moved to wrong places and now stuck.

RC Qualifier
    I filled my diff with Gorilla Glue. It is a locker now. No slip to cause heat and no front torque steer problems.
    Last edited by Gunner1; 03-27-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Gunner, you are Mr. Ingenuity there aren't you! I like that. I am curious though, how does locking the diff have an impact on torque steer? I have never noticed any torque-steer out of either mine or my sons Platinums running CC sensored 2650's with 4S. Do you have some worn diff gears or turnbuckle end-links? Do you happen to have/use TSM?

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    I just want to say I have a 2028 in 780kv for a 1/8 hydroplane that can easily run into the 60 mph mark . It can put out 10 hp @50 volts. Tons and tons of power. This build should be something to follow. I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    I just want to say I have a 2028 in 780kv for a 1/8 hydroplane that can easily run into the 60 mph mark . It can put out 10 hp @50 volts. Tons and tons of power. This build should be something to follow. I'm in

Thanks for the input Magnum! Do you have any issues/complaints with the motor? What ESC are you running?

This is going to be interesting... for sure! I have 2 young boys and they love anything that goes fast (imagine that!). One night we were all watching some videos on the big screen that showed lots of 100mph Slash runs and my kids basically challenged me! "Dad, I bet your truck could never go that fast could it?". Umm, well, let me see here... and the journey began!

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the input Magnum! Do you have any issues/complaints with the motor? What ESC are you running?

This is going to be interesting... for sure! I have 2 young boys and they love anything that goes fast (imagine that!). One night we were all watching some videos on the big screen that showed lots of 100mph Slash runs and my kids basically challenged me! "Dad, I bet your truck could never go that fast could it?". Umm, well, let me see here... and the journey began!

-Shack
    I don't recall the exact model , I know it is a swordfish it can handle 50V max and it is water cooled , so it will be of no use for this application. I see no reason that you can't hit 100mph . you will only be limited by the amount of cells you can safely carry on board . there was thread on this particular quest for the century mark . he in fact did it .do a search

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    I don't recall the exact model , I know it is a swordfish it can handle 50V max and it is water cooled , so it will be of no use for this application. I see no reason that you can't hit 100mph . you will only be limited by the amount of cells you can safely carry on board . there was thread on this particular quest for the century mark . he in fact did it .do a search
    Hey Magnum, thanks for the post. I have actually bit into Squeegie's recommendation for a 12S capable ESC and contacted MGM with a few questions. Those baby's are expensive but from the few things I have read about them, they are the Bugatti Veyron of ESCs! With a 5 year warranty and enthusiast-level quality, I can justify dropping $800 on the product. In the coming weeks and months, everyone will see just how serious I am about hauling-*** in my Traxxas Slash 4x4. If I have to include an $800 ESC to get 175+, I will do it. I am just about ready to start the process of completely disassembling the brand-new Platinum I got for this project and busting out the calipers and mics to record exactly where each critical part is in new condition. As time goes by I can compare measurements to determine wear patterns and potentially head-off future problems. If you truly want to achieve a goal like this, you have to put in the work. Sorry for all the rambling. We'll see how it goes... good, bad or ugly, I will report it for the forums entertainment!

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    Hey Magnum, thanks for the post. I have actually bit into Squeegie's recommendation for a 12S capable ESC and contacted MGM with a few questions. Those baby's are expensive but from the few things I have read about them, they are the Bugatti Veyron of ESCs! With a 5 year warranty and enthusiast-level quality, I can justify dropping $800 on the product. In the coming weeks and months, everyone will see just how serious I am about hauling-*** in my Traxxas Slash 4x4. If I have to include an $800 ESC to get 175+, I will do it. I am just about ready to start the process of completely disassembling the brand-new Platinum I got for this project and busting out the calipers and mics to record exactly where each critical part is in new condition. As time goes by I can compare measurements to determine wear patterns and potentially head-off future problems. If you truly want to achieve a goal like this, you have to put in the work. Sorry for all the rambling. We'll see how it goes... good, bad or ugly, I will report it for the forums entertainment!

-Shack
    I know all about expensive esc' s. The fast electric boats have them and I can tell ya it's a bad day when one decides to quit . Just keep an eye on temps. That will be your biggest enemy here. There is another thread I was just reading in the 2 wd section , that person is running a 1/8 setup. You should take a look at that.

If you have deep pockets, you could always go with MGM stuff and figure out how to get it to fit:

ESCs:
    https://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars...iction_sent=1#

Motors:
    https://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars/lmt-lehner-motors
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If you have deep pockets, you could always go with MGM stuff and figure out how to get it to fit:

ESCs:
    https://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars...iction_sent=1#

Motors:
    https://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars/lmt-lehner-motors

Wow, that is some pricey stuff! For what they charge, I imagine it's about the best quality around though. I already have the CSE010-0142-00 combo but since the ESC is only 8S ready, I will of course need something to push the motor to its 12S limit. At first glance I like the specs on the this one but will definitely do some reading up on all they offer and if it's compatible with the 2028.

Leaving the office now and heading over to see my favorite CNC guy. He is machining the motor plate for me and a small tweak on the servo saver. I have tried the HR and STRC versions and BOTH have a design (flaw?) that allows for too much slop in the front wheels. Fine for bashing but not high speed.

The motor plate is FAT! We spent a few hours taking measurements and brainstorming and we think our 1/4" 6061-T651 plate design is going to work. It gives us the ability to drill holes on the edges for extra chassis bracing that might need to be added. He is also going to cut the same pattern in an 1/8th" in plate. Obviously don't know the final weight yet but that may play a part in which plate is used. I hope he will get on it soon and we'll see if they're going to work. If not, I will be emulating Beefred's design. I will be taking lots of pics and hope to add some soon. It's killing me because I want to "show off" how bad-ice it's starting to look, at least in my eyes!

-Shack

-Shack

RC Enthusiast
    i have see a tp 56xx in a speed slash and a cordova the size of a soda can in one too

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast