RC Competitor

Summit fpv 1.3 help!!

So I've got a used old broken summit. I then gloriously upgraded it, with the best I could afford. Primarily castle sensored brushless 2200kx mamba, new bearings new lem diffs new hubs bla bla bla. Works lovely now and have been looking at buy fpv.

So far I've was looking at.

Fat shark googles domv3
    fat shark 1.3 vtx 250mw
    Fat shark 1.3vrx1g3 8channel. I've read bad things about the old 4channel.

I have the tqi 2.4 new radio. (Which I'm hoping will get me a bit of distance, for now anyway)

It's hard to find much information on ground vechiles using fpv, Any knformations will be much appreciated,

thanks

Looks good, now you have to source a video camera. There are cheaper options than the dominator v3. Unless you have that kind of cheddar. Heres two links that will help you out (put on your reading glasses)

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...V-Tonka-Summit

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rojects-Thread
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Noir you rock! i have also been dabbling in ground fpv. i got the cheap fatshark teleporter v5 kit. it was super easy, but the camera is not even close to tough enough for ground use. now i will be fighting the urge to read those two threads today while at work. thanks for ruining my productivity today noir...

Hey, what are friends for. If you cutout your front windshield you can mount the camera inside where it is safe and also get that true "inside the vehicle " view.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    I just picked up a set of fat shark dominator v3s, I've read through the links aswell.

Not much about the fat shark 1.3ghz vtx 250mw and the 1g3 nexwave 1.3ghz v3 with 8channel, for ground use anyway, I'm not looking to go out of 2.4ghz radio distance yet, just want the penaration around the woods.

The Fatshark 1.3ghz 250 is a good choice. 1.3ghz penetrates better than 5.8ghz. The big draw back is the huge antennas. BUT since this is a ground vehicle (and the planular angle will remain relatively flat) you should be able to get by using the straight dipole (stock) antennas. The Fatshark is a filtered video tx (clearer pictures) most 1.3ghz vtx are not.

Team Black Sheep (TBS) has a 5.8ghz vtx that puts out 800mw. Tbs Unify HV. Videos have the signal penetrating trees like butter. And its the same price as the Fatshark 1.3ghz. Plus its smaller.

choices choices choices.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

If you start this project I'll go with you. My summit is dying for some fpv upgrades.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Yes do it noir! Have u wats app? My number is 07852248034 send me a message on there for some small talk ), I'm not too concerned about size, I'm thinking blubeam ibcrazy ultra antenna with the vtx and rx and also I'm going to get the runcam eagle 16:9 camera to suit the v3 display. Just picked them up and there like new, cost me 220 ",! I'm not too clued up on vtx/rx all I know is that I'm Guna need a power filter on the fs tx and a low pass filter on the antenna, with these antenna they are meant to be the bees knees, I'm not hoping for massive range just yet but will beef up the vtx/rx in summer this is just to get me started. I like the sound of the tbs 5.8hhz but isn't 5.8ghz a bad idea with penetration?

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]

here the puppies, can't wait to set the up....!!

the the summit for them to catch a ride on

IBCrazy are always good. But big. This is what you need, new product out of Canada. Half the size of traditional 1.3ghz antennas
    TreRC Singularity

1/2 the size and encased.

I purchased 1 but I will eventually get another (currently out of stock)

http://www.truerc.ca/shop/antennas/1...ularity-128058
    Last edited by noir 522; 03-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    noir she is a small antenna if it works good though then its doing the right job! I'm not too concerned about size, only issue i may have is when crawling about it getting caught up on the truck itself. mainly going to use fps round the estate and open woodland. I'm going away next week so my spending will need to wait till after i get home! some research into things for now, i take it when i buy the vtx/rx from fat shark they include the dipole antenna. whats your view on cameras? i was thinking the run cam eagle? i do have a gph3+ which i seem to have misplaced. was thinking to have that to record and the run cam for fpv. i have a dvr built into the glasses also.

RC Competitor
    Noir I've been looking at these new antenna the true Rc one, would be ideal for the truck itself, would I need another on the receiver or could I go for a bigger antenna to help the signal? If two of these truerc will do the job and do it well I think that's going to be my choice of antennna.

Its always ideal to use the same antenna on the vtx and receiver to match the EXACT frequency. But any clover antenna should suffice. I only have one so ill be running a big clover on my goggles.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

[IMG][/IMG]Here my set up. Mostly left over parts from mini drone builds/projects. I have a Fatshark 2d brushed gimbal (only need one servo though ). As far as cameras, run cams and fpv cameras are designedto have no lag (fast video feed). But I fly a tricopter with an older gopro and flying around 45mph I really dont notice much lag (or maybe II'm just not a good enough pilot to know the difference) so I dont think I'll notice much in a 20mph summit. So I have been tthinking about using a RunCam Hd2 recording camera as my main fpv cam AND recording camera. Just figure out how to mount it on a servo, then y- harness it to the steering servo. The Ran Cam HD2 can be attached directly to a vtx.

Hope you have good soldering skills
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RunCam 2. With direct vtx feed[IMG] [IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by noir 522; 03-28-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    dam your way ahead of me! yes my soldering is good, I'm a plumber by trade so i have dabbled with electric soldering before, nice you got your stuff quick mind! i have to wait weeks for anything to arrive, mainly cause i order from over seas. i just found while cleaning up my go pro hero 3 + and was wondering if it would be a suitable camera for the project or if i could use it as a recording camera? also as i have the dominator v3 they have a 16:9 view so i understand the gp3 won't be ideal, would i be able to get a hd rune cam or would this just be pointless as there not the hd version like yourrrsss lol.

I'm getting one of the vtx and rx from fatshark hard to find, but will happen soon, the truerc antenna you have would buying two of them with sma connection be the right ones to fit the vtx/rx or anything else needed? also getting a filter for video.

that camera came prebuilt with a gimbal and servo then? so the y connector just goes in line with the servo? you steer right it looks right?. i was looking at the eagle run cam for fps feed, or just try the go pro first maybe? only a wire needed.

uhf will be down the line, spent a lot on upgrading the truck! a dot in the distance, but think it'll be nessacary when i get more confident with the gear. let me know about a few of the things as I'm still a newb to fpv and don't want to end up buying the wrong things ha

The lag with HD cameras (GoPros and RunCam2) is not that bad when it comes to slow (20mph) rc cars. I would say try the gopro first and see how it drives. It'll give you better video and you already have it. Albeit a bit large depending on where/ how you mount it. Im actually gonna make a single servo stand and go with my run cam2 .

Im gonna start building it this weekend.

Also the Fatshark 1.3ghz vtx has a built in filter, I dont think an external one is needed. I'll test it soon. I'm hoping it plays well with 2.4ghz.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Yes I will try the GoPro out first, just about to by the vtx rx cables needed for the set up now, yes I'd like to see how you get on with the servo stand as once I've got bit more cash I think I'll get a tru fpv cam, this runcam 2 you have, is it hd? And I was looking at the runcam eagle, but now I'm not sure if I should go with the runecam2? I'm a complete newb with cameras.

All I know is my fat shark dominator v3 display 16:9 ratio and I think their 800x600pixcels so I don't know if I could even run a hd camera and have any benefits?

Yes the run cam2 is HD. Fatshark googles only go upto 800x600. So 1080p is mostly wasted on them. BUT the recording video is amazing. The newest GoPros are still a hair better, but I like the form and the price of the Runcam2 better. $80 brand new. Theres also the runcam3 , similiar to the gopro cube, going for $100.

Better video, ability to record but at the cost of slower video speed when compared to the runcam eagle. Once your set up you can always rewire and switch cameras to your liking.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Ok I see, so you'd view it in 800x600 but it would record hd? Is the recording through the glasses dvr or would u need a external hd dvr for it to be hd?

I bought the gear needed to start my fpv

Fat shark 1.3ghz v3 module
    Fat shark 1.3ghz 250mw vtx
    Blubeam ultra antenna
    Fat shark power filter supply has a loss pass filter
    Couple angled sma connectors
    Video and Audi rmrc GoPro cable loom.

Can't wait to get it all and see how it works and looks

Using gp3 for now then I'll look at the different camera

RC Qualifier

Not a summit and not 1.3, but I got my teleperter hooked up to the Slash MT. Gonna try for some video Saturday.

Ok, its coming along slowly. The 1.3ghz vtx connects directly to the runcam.

[IMG][/IMG]

ziptied a circular servo horn to the base of the run cam

I made an fpv mount plate to support all the electronics, and cut 2 servo slots, one for a direct center view, another to get a left side drivers view.

Later I will do a test of 1.3ghz vs 5.8ghz
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Nice noir I like the plate idea, I've made a few advances too! Well quite a few! I'll update later, yea he good to see the diffrance between the frequencys. Are you using the tqi as radio gear?

I have a 4 channel spectrum radio, really wanting to upgrade to the new 6 channel but those things are expensive
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Did you manage to do any testing of the 1.3? Any good? Radio gear I bought fr tarnais radio and I have immersion Rc ezuhf transmitter jr module plus 8channel receiver. Should be getting good range once its all set up, I have the traxxas tqi I'll test it on first though. Just received my video tx and antenna. Went with the blubeam ultra set. Really don't know if I shud mount on the summit or the xmaxx? What do you guys think would be better?

I had considered using the taranis but using sticks instead of the steering wheel kinda doesn't feel like driving a car. Unless of course you reprogram the channel mapping to use one of the rotary knobs for steering.

I would say go xmaxx. The reason the summit is so popular in fpv is its go anywhere persona. But with the xmaxx 8 inch tires I think that aspect is covered.

Ihavent started testing yet. Too many projects dividing my attention.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    its 5.8freq but heres a lil x-maxx fpv, inside and outside, no head tracking. made for racing the max on a track with jumps lol....

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Ok, its coming along slowly. The 1.3ghz vtx connects directly to the runcam.

[IMG][/IMG]

ziptied a circular servo horn to the base of the run cam

I made an fpv mount plate to support all the electronics, and cut 2 servo slots, one for a direct center view, another to get a left side drivers view.

Later I will do a test of 1.3ghz vs 5.8ghz
    is it just me or does your exposed gear look warped?

Thats not warping, thats character. I've got an all metal gear waiting to go in.
    whenever I find the time
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    Ye it does look kinda wobbly lol! Well I think I'm going to make a platform I can use to mount on either truck! The summit sensored brushless can go everywhere with ease, maybe for longer runs on asphalt etc I'll have it on the xmaxx. Yea I was unsure about the ugly tarnais but I wanted that massive radio range from the uhf. didn't want to get 300yards or behind a building and it cut out on me. Once I'm back from holiday it should all be there waiting to set up and tested! Can't wait to finally join the fpv ranks. ! Nice video of the xmaxx too are you running 4s on there?

Finally some serious progress. I "Y" harnessed the camera servo to the steering servo. Then I wondered "what if the two servo moved in opposite directions?" The steering servo is upside down while the camera servo is right side up. But it worked out. I got lucky with the fact that my rear roll cage actually protects the antenna. I did some short fpv driving but it was late and too dark to actually see much. The 1.3ghz signal did pretty good. There were some glitches but the video wqs drivable. The clear limitation is the 2.4ghz radio transmitter. I drove 2 blocks, took a right and lost radio signal. I could see where I was going, I just simply was not going. Tomorrow in the sun I'll get some serious fpv footage.

MAN, Use Common Sense.

Last edited by noir 522; 04-09-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Competitor
    a quick update i have this thing on a roll now getting pretty decent range within rc radio range. hers how she looks now.
    [IMG][/IMG]