RC Competitor

Maxamps 4S 9000XL lipos - not a single review on the entire internet, hmmmmm...

I find it odd that all the RC websites were quick to promote these lipos at the end of January yet not a single review on them can be found. Radio silence on Google, YouTube and all those RC websites promoting them. Either nobody has bought them or if they did, I guess they're not all that impressed?

I have SMC 4S. 6700s in my V2. Good batteries for the money but Im not getting very good run times (15 minutes tops before my lipo alarm screams @ 3.6 per cell). I run her in a huge park near my house, so lots of speed runs, accasional WOT runs, 90% of my driving there is on short grass.

Of course I could buy about 4 more of the SMC 6700s for the same price as these Maxamps but that translates into more time spent on planning/charging extra packs.

If these packs can give me 30 minutes per charge I'm tempted to 'invest' in a pair. Not sure why there aren't any other 4S 9000mah lipos on the market? Their 'lifetime warranty' (1 year fully covered, after that they'll exchange lipo at 50% off price for a replacement) is a bonus I suppose.

Anyway, thoughts/comments/rants welcome.

Btw, if one of you "money ain't a thang" members with 5 brand new XMaxx's could buy a pair and let us know how they work, that'd be great
    He who dies with the most toys, wins.

RC Racer
    I've been getting some long run times on my smc 6700. Easily over 30 min. Problem with the high mah 4s batteries is it is against shipping regulations to ship by air. 6700 is the threshold on 4s. I think everybody that supplies them here ships them air out of China or wherever they source. Smc was going to look into shipping by sea but, I haven't heard anything from them. Apparently the Chinese New Year pretty much stopped production for a while so manufactures are ramping back up so you may see some more options come along.

I would just buy more of the smc batteries that way if you do have an issue you will have backup. Not sure how MA gets the 9000mah. The must bring in the cells and put them together here in the states.

There is 6 ratings on their website and 250 a battery...yikes. I've got more time than money you could have 4 smc 4s 6700 for 300. Running the smaller batteries allows for cool down time in between switch outs and MA's reputation is a deal breaker for me.

RC Qualifier
    i just ordered those. ill let u know

Quote Originally Posted by 0dark3rt View Post
    I find it odd that all the RC websites were quick to promote these lipos at the end of January yet not a single review on them can be found. Radio silence on Google, YouTube and all those RC websites promoting them. Either nobody has bought them or if they did, I guess they're not all that impressed?
    someone did a review on one of their products once, and it didn't end well.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    i just ordered those. ill let u know
    nooooooooooooooo!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by m00s3 View Post
    nooooooooooooooo!
    But the flames add 50hp

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    But the flames add 50C
    fixed that for you

The websites/magazines don't have to pay for the batteries. The regular joe does. Not too many regular joes I know think it is reasonable to spend $489.99 (plus shipping?) for just okay or even exceptional batteries. The dearth of reviews is not surprising.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymullen View Post
    I've got more time than money you could have 4 smc 4s 6700 for 300. Running the smaller batteries allows for cool down time in between switch outs and MA's reputation is a deal breaker for me.
    Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. I'll stick with my SMCs and keep the $500 for spare parts and new ESC at some point...

I was tinkering last night and for some odd reason my Xmaxx wouldn't go forward/reverse but the steering servo worked. I figured it needed to be rebooted and discovered the ESC wouldn't turn off by pressing the button, leaving me no choice but to unplug the lipos to turn it off. Ugh... I switched packs, fired it back up and everything worked. Hope this isn't a symptom of a potential Xmaxx ESC heart failure sometime soon...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    someone did a review on one of their products once, and it didn't end well.
    And more here: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...40#post6353940

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post

Yeah I read that. Threatening "Legal action" is laugh out loud funny. There has to be more to that story? Seems odd the CEO of MA would personally reach out to a whistleblowing "customer" who also just so happens to be an SPC Racing mechanical engineer (likely when they were still in the lipo game.

No matter the brand, C ratings don't mean much to me unless they're low (TRX 6700 is only 25C?). I don't believe my SMCs are legit 150c packs, I'd be shocked if they're in the 70-90 range if I'm honest.

RC poster
    I have the Kershaw 4s 8000mah and love them, great runtime.

RC Racer
    Maxxamps is pretty clever. For one their advertising is very good. I also think people don't realize that you are paying for convenience in that they have the newbies or people who don't want to reasearch which battery fits their car. Then they have the racers covered with the superior ratings claim. Can't forget about ordering with your plug of choice and wrap.

Heck even I almost gave in a while back because I was being lazy and didn't feel like soldering or researching if the certain pack fit my truck. This is coming from someone who already owns a hakko and multiple batteries and chargers. Until it hit me how much I'd have to pay I just couldn't bring myself to purchase them.

So in all I think it's something to be said about good marketing and having everything done for you.From all the research over the years from forums and all the hoopla it's pretty evident that they are decent overpriced packs that are made to order. Most of the negativity comes from the obvious thing.....the price.

I can even forgive the outlandish claims if the price is right. (Cough graphene), we all know there is no real graphene in those packs but you know what who cares, those batteries while more expensive than their other line they are still good packs. The beef people have with maxxamps is they are charging Bugatti prices and they are not delivering.

I'll be honest and say that I would buy them out of laziness if they were a bit cheaper, still more expensive than other packs just not double or triple which is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Dionisi; 03-30-2017 at 09:03 PM.

RC Competitor
    Kershaw needs to hire a web designer asap. Ive heard nothing but good things about their products but their website looks like something you'd find on the 8th page of a Google search. Which is basically the Dark Web. Lol

RC poster
    Kershaw needs to hire a web designer asap. Ive heard nothing but good things about their products but their website looks like something you'd find on the 8th page of a Google search. Which is basically the Dark Web. Lol
    That they do, though it took 3 weeks to recieve the batteries it was definitely worth the wait. So now I have a set of Traxxas 4s 6700, Kershaw 3s 8000 and Kershaw 4s 8000.plenty of batteries to keep me going for the day. Dan at Kershaw is slow to respond bit in the end I have been pleased with their products.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah I read that. Threatening "Legal action" is laugh out loud funny. There has to be more to that story? Seems odd the CEO of MA would personally reach out to a whistleblowing "customer" who also just so happens to be an SPC Racing mechanical engineer (likely when they were still in the lipo game.

No matter the brand, C ratings don't mean much to me unless they're low (TRX 6700 is only 25C?). I don't believe my SMCs are legit 150c packs, I'd be shocked if they're in the 70-90 range if I'm honest.
    There isn't more to this story and it was not funny!!!! Nor was it meant to be funny.
    That customer and Engineer was me and it happened just as explained.
    Last edited by Jakey; 03-31-2017 at 10:14 AM.

i've always wondered after everything that happened, why don't they just back the claims down a tad and instead of saying "true 100c" just say "estimated 80c"? can't question the word estimated and it would have prevented a lot of headache for a lot of people.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Racer
    That's why I am so shocked when I see anyone buy their packs. That sort of behavior doesn't deserve sales. Much better off with traxxas for plug and play, or many of the other vendors for bigger performance.

RC poster
    I had the same thing happen and it was a heart failure...had to replace esc