Thread: E-Revo 8s

RC Competitor

E-Revo 8s

So now that the X-Maxx has 8s support when will Traxxas come out with an 8S E-Revo? Is this something they will even consider given the current failures of differentials on 6s? I did a quick search and didn't come back with anything significant but what waterproof ESC can handle 8s that can be put in the ERBE?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dp3dp View Post
    So now that the X-Maxx has 8s support when will Traxxas come out with an 8S E-Revo? Is this something they will even consider given the current failures of differentials on 6s? I did a quick search and didn't come back with anything significant but what waterproof ESC can handle 8s that can be put in the ERBE?
    Well, E-Revo on 4s is suficient, after all is equal or more then "nitro" versions' without the noise!...

What i know is that youtube videos are just a few minutes of adrenaline..what they don't tell you is that things break after that pack on 6s....

E-revo shouldn't had the marketing tag of 6s in my opinion! Just like "drones" nowdays are having and killed and will burry the hobby of anything on air (planes/helis)... we can't no more fly on backyard even if it's ours... the FPV mania killed it and Governament's all over the world only make it possible to do on very striclty legal places.. basically licensed and insured clubs...well anyone that likes Air Rc's mostly don't have a club close by...most are +40kmh... not going to do a afternoon flight before bed if we need to travel 40kmh to fly just a few minutes...doesn't make sense... and if it's our backyard with no neighbours proprety..why not? And 150 meters range? Well i can live with that...but it's patetic what is going on in the law department of "drone" stuff. Who is making the laws does not have a clue of what the hobby is about... but thanks to the drones and stupid drone people they had to do something...

Thanks "drones"

Basically having a "drone" now is a worst scenario that having a "gun" according to who makes the laws :P

Back to E.Revo
    I constanly run mine on stock tires on 4s and they ballon till rupture. AND i have the fish line trick!

I use 4s sensored system with a center diff on 100k oil. For me the E-Revo is suficient good on 4s. If i used 6s i really don't expect it to last even a few minutes... have no idea how stock tires will not rupture in 30seconds of 6s use...

Yes i can buy some good quality tires from Proline or whatever... but the saga of the diff's... i have other brands of rc's to use on 6s that can take it all day long with no problems.

Xmaxx is ok for 8s, as Traxxas is marketing it! (excelent by the way... kneable to that!
    About time to have a RTR in 8s brushless in 2017 days...

Since day one...that they only upgrade eletronics (radio/rx/gyros..etc...) or very small details ...the base "ERevo" is essensial "good" so on a win team, we don't change the players! (rule number one of rock star's) lol

Yes, we can mod the crap about it...but that is mostly customs parts or big "mods" that normal rc people don't have a life to sacrifice for that... I really don't understand why after what? 10 years there is still not a aftermakrt brand that taked care of the diff's? Like E-Maxx "custom chop shops" like centralmaxx are doing with their hybrid bulkheads and HongNor diff's... well anyone know if they fit the e-revo?

A good ESC small but 8s capable is the Hobbywing Max6. She is not accepted on the speed world cause it cut's power on extreme speed's, but Castle XLX won't with (new firmware and TO BIG)) but to bash in whatever area, those Max6 are plenty good and awesome.. think they are waterproof to. Google their website! They are the a major brand now on other RC brands of RTR rc's, labeled mostly with other stickers!
    Last edited by targeting; 03-31-2017 at 10:58 AM.

RC Racer
    Castle's MXL 8s is kinda big in the E-revo. It's also not waterproof. I was going to install one in a revo recently, but it's really oversized and looks totally out of place. Since I'm using a 1717 motor I added capacitors to the MMM 6s, same as is done in the Traxxas XO-1. Getting that power to the ground is the challenge!

6s1p is literally more than the truck can handle. 8s1p would just be another level of overkill unless chasing top speed. In that case, even then, 6s1p has hit over 100mph. There's just very little if any benefit from increasing voltage any more in a revo sized truck.

4s is plenty of power for almost all applications aside from top speed runs and will still hit 50+ mph in sand. In fact one of my favorite configurations is 4s with a 1512 2650kv motor. Plenty of power and speed with lots of run time.

Anyway, I wouldn't get my hopes up about an 8s e-revo. The X-Maxx is a 1/5th scale (I think) but definitely a much larger truck that requires much more power to move. 8s becomes much more appropriate as the vehicle size goes up.

The e-maxx and e-revo are about the same size, so this gives a good comparison;

I would love to see a 1/5th scale e-Revo! That would be a monster on 8s!

RC Competitor
    That is some good input! Here is my thought process on why I asked the question. If Traxxas decided to engineer an 8s E-Revo they would likely have to redesign the drive train at a minimum to handle the increased power. We all know that one of the biggest issues on the E-Revo is the differentials. So if they did redesign the E-Revo differntials that may be something we could apply to our current E-Revo Brushless Editions...

So I have broken 4 bulkheads sense Christmas (3 Front 1 rear). While I have not done the Losi diff conversion as because I break so many bulkheads, removing material from the bulkhead to accommodate the new bulkhead is something I'm just not comfortable with given my experience with bulkheads breaking. I now keep a spare front and rear bulkhead on hand at all times unfortunately. I looked at upgrading to aluminum bulkheads but for the $95 to $120 it would cost per bulkhead I felt I'd rather spend the $14 on the plastic one as I can replace a little over 8 for the cost of the 120 bulkhead. Plus I was trying to figure out with an aluminum bulkhead where the next stress points are and had a hard time figuring it out. Regardless, to improve my E-Revo differentials I went with the Hot Racing Steel Helical Spiral Differential Ring and Pinion set, the Hot Racing Aluminum Outer Differential Case, and the Hot Racing Aluminum Cup Carrier Case. My thought process on this was with aluminum there would be less flex on the differential under 6s power / torque. Sorry for getting off topic but given the reason I asked the 8s question was specifically about Traxxas redesigning the differential to handle the 8s power.

I really appreciate the thoughts on an 8s E-Revo so keep them coming, what do you think Traxxas would need to redesign for the E-Revo to handle 8s power, given as CaptainUSCrunch pointed out it is a smaller scale than its X-Maxx brother.

RC Racer
    Well, the idea of a 1/5 E-Revo is a win win...both for Traxxas & users! I would love it for sure... specially with a Proline Desert Militia 1/5 body oh yeah....

1/5 E-Revo... please?

You have done it before...on the Maxx

RC Racer
    I think it's time for an X-Revo... 1/5th scale, MXL, CC2020, 8s... Waterproof electronics box... Full telemetry...

An X-Revo would be a chance for ground up brushless design to handle the power and perform under stress.
    Kinda like the X-Maxx. Which reminds me... gotta put that one on my Christmas list.

RC Competitor
    perfect idea targeting..... forget the current scale..... just engineer one in the "MAXX" scale. I personally would love this and would definitely purchase a "E-Revo MAXX Brushless Edition" with some custom to scale differentials. As we all know the differentials in the current ERBE are a part of consistent failure due to there scale.

RC Enthusiast
    My 6S E-revo disintegrated itself on 6S, canīt imagine with 8S hehe
    Revo 3.3 & E-Revo Brushless
    DJI Mavic Pro
    Mini-Z

RC Enthusiast
    I kind of agree that if there would ever be an 8S E-REvo, that it would need to be a 1/5 scale. There really is no point to making an 8s version of the current one/size, as it is already ridiculously fast on 6s. I would welcome a revised version of the current edition, however. If they made a few changes, addressed the weak drivetrain etc, that would be cool though. I probably wouldn't buy a 1/5 version, just because that is just too big for my preferences. I think the current size is perfect. I realize people do like the larger scale these days, though.

RC poster
    I wish I knew what some of you do to destroy your Revo's on 6s. I just recently took mine out for a bash on 6s, full throttle jumps and completely destroyed the steel CVDs. They were junk already, though. But nothing else broke. So this always confused me.

RC Qualifier
    yeah, 6s is already pretty much pushing it with the revo, can't imagine 8s lol

Not really an 8S comment, but from what I remember, the revo was designed as a "race" monster truck to actually compete/race with. Whereas the t-maxx was always a basher and not intended for racing. The X-Maxx seems that it's completely a basher truck.

I'm not seeing/hearing racing electric 1/5th scale as a big thing at the moment. So, making a "racing" 1/5th scale truck seems kind of pointless in that regard.

Then again, I don't know that MT racing was every super huge to begin with, but there were races for that class. 1/10 and 1/8th buggy, 2wd stadium and 1/8th truggy along with 1/10 and 1/8 onroad seem to be all the racing world has these days. Maybe some 1/5th scale gassers.

Anyway, just seems that making a 1/5th e-revo would be Traxxas just making a second basher to compete with itself.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    My E Revo 2.0 holds up just fine with 6s. No drivetrain issues. I have broken two center drive shafts due to gravel getting into the tunnel, gnawing a groove into them and finally snapping but nothing else.

RC Qualifier
    I just about get a pair of 3s lipos in the battery bay. Let alone 4s...

I was looking into this a while back, was going to use the stock system from the xmaxx, decided I didn't like the motor mount to utilize the xmaxx motor and not follow through with it. You can make it pretty beastly on 6s by throwing in a low kv motor, gearing it properly and having strong batteries.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
    My E Revo 2.0 holds up just fine with 6s. No drivetrain issues. I have broken two center drive shafts due to gravel getting into the tunnel, gnawing a groove into them and finally snapping but nothing else.
    I can't say for sure, but I think this thread was back before the 2.0 was around, because no where does anyone say anything about the "2.0" or refer to the "older erevo". But I could be wrong...

Unless of course you're just saying that the 2.0 is better
    I like free stuff!