RC Competitor

summit differential output gear wobble

so i was using my summit and noticed a noise. i thought had a crash and there goes another diff part. so I've stripped it right down and the ring pinion is fine, scratching my head. i have the lem combo so i have hardened spyder gears, i take the internals out clean it all up and no their perfect too. i install and check everything is going in right.

i noticed that on the longer output shaft (longer one to accommodate the locker) that there is wobble once installed, i mean i can literally move it maybe a 2mm up and down with my fingers off the cup. also i can push the shaft in a couple mm. this is once its installed in the cup.

I'm using all new avid bearings lem diff combo which is installed correctly i bar rounded edge down.

please help with this as i want to get it back together asap! should there be a shim on this output shaft? and if so what size would i need to order? i shimmed the ring and pinion which went well, so i know how to shim ok now.[IMG][/IMG]
    Please watch your language.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-01-2017 at 08:15 PM.

RC Competitor
    Sorry didn't realise I had said something inappropriate I'll read over to double check next time, it's 2.30am must have missed it. Just to clarify it's the shaft on the right hand side I speak about. Thanks a lot for any help on the matter.

RC Competitor
    Ok so fresh eyes this morning I ended up finding the teflon washer that's meant to be on the output shaft. I put it all back together and still there is a lot of play coming out of the cup, these are expensive lem diff cups not a cheap version, I can see that there is maybe 1mm diffrance between the shaft and the hole in the cup for it to exit, is this right to beable to move the shaft ? Also I tried 6mm shims and they won't even fit the shaft, any information be helpful. For now I'm going to rebuild it and just deal with the fact it's assembled right and still has loads of play? Really not sure what to do now.

RC Competitor
    anyone have any information?

people who own l.e.m diff cups - do you guys have play on the locker side output shaft?

shims for the locker side out put shaft size? 6mm shims will not fit, can't find any information nor any 7mm shims.

helpppppppppp!!!

You should be ok as there is another bearing farther out that shaft that takes some of the load.shimming is to help keep the gear mesh from changing under load.the output side shaft needs I think it was 8mm shims

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    yo jaman ok ill try find some 8mm shims then maybe 7mm aswell, first run after about 10minutes i noticed a slight clicking. so I've stripped it all down nothings broke or worn. when installing it back together i noticed the shaft was really wobbly. installed correctly so decided to take it crawling today and once again the clicking is evident. also i can push on the output shaft (locker side) in and out so thats probely were the mesh isn't right and where the clicking is coming from.

in all the shimming guides even the lem diagram it state 6mm shims for all output shafts. i can't for the life of me figure out why my shaft is bigger seems like 6.5mm? was there 2 different sizes? in the traxxas exploded diagram the teflon spacer used is a 6.5x10x0.5mm.

im in two minds to buy a new shaft and new diff cup for the shim.

part numbers are

tra5681

should the lem diff cup have a larger diameter than the shaft? or have i got a faulty one? i tried with the stock plastic cup housing and was loose in there too. i thought buying the lem combo would stop all my diff issues. i think once i get this sorted they should b solid. i hope.

RC Competitor
    found myself some 7mm and 8mm shims i hope that i can get this sorted...will post if this sorts the issue.

Most of the shimming guides are for tmaxx e max Revo ...etc they have identical outputs.The summit is longer on the locker side so need a bit more material for strength perhaps

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamann; 04-03-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Ye I think that's it, I got a confirm from lem that there is play on the shaft between the cup and shaft and will be getting my shims soon to take as much of this play out. Think once it's shimmed with 7mm shims it'll be sweet again ! Hopefully! I'll report back when I get round to it. Still got the xmaxx to play with in the mean time[IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Well, I've installed shims and took nearly 1mm of play out of the shaft, but still when engaged in low range, most prominent while reversing with the steering lock left or right I hear this click/crunch. I'm not sure if it's just the axles creeking in the axles but wondered if anyone else has this issue. It has been fully serviced with new bearings cleaned and installed to the letter but still seem to hear this clicking noise. It sounds like the diff but I've taken it apart several times and came to the conclusion that it's not from there. All teeth and gears are near perfect condition. No sign of grinding etc. I haven't changed the axles or centre shafts. Which when i bought the truck second hand where in poor condition. Could it be the plastic centre or axles making this noise it's driving me crazy and can't figure it out or get any advise.