RC Racer

Summit motor upgrade

Hey i need some help with my 1/10 summit.

My titan 775 got a little smokey and hot, it still works, but it couldnt handle a few inches of wet snow. I think its not really liking the 2x 2s lipos. My 18/68 gearing might have been overkill as well.

its probably just a matter of time till my titan craps out. So i looked into kershaw designs and dewalt conversions. I realized that almost all the posts are more than a few years old.

So my question is, whats the best motor upgrade these days ? is the dewalt 14.4v still one of the best options ? I use my summit as more of a basher than a crawler. I mostly use the high gear. Pros/cons would be much appreciated too.

Thanks.

P.S. im in quebec, if anyone knows some good places to buy said motor in Canada, id appreciate it.
    Last edited by Demigod15; 04-03-2017 at 11:19 PM.

For brushed the 14.4v on 4s is the best balance.
    A modest brushless 2000 to 2200 kv sensored would give you both crawling and more than enough power even on 4s let alone anything more

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Get the castle sensored! 2200kv make sure u upgrade the drive train prior to any motor upgrade, the Titan does a good job destroying diffs as it is!

RC Racer
    I dont really want to spend 300$ to go brushless. Id rather just use a better brushed motor in place of the 775. The speed with 4s on 775 is pretty good. Im guessing it would be even better with a dewalt.

The Dewalt is not really any faster but more durable lots of torque and can be geared up a little more than a 775

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Whats a good gear ratio on a dewalt 14.4 ?

RC Champion
    I think most people are running around a 17t.. That 18t was way to much for your stock motor.

RC Champion
    If you are bashing the brushless is the only way to go. I did the trade in program with Traxxas and installed the Castle 2200kv and have it geared with an 11t pinion. it crawls and still is faster than stock. That said I will do the next one with a sensored motor.

I have 2 of my Summits with the Dewalt motor up grade from Dan at Kershaw. The Dewalt IMO is a far Superior motor to the Titan. I have geared them from 11t to 21t pinions. If you go above 16t, Heat will be a real problem, and you will really tear the Summit up above 18t. So I now have them geared for crawling at 11t and 12t. I use the brushed Summit for my need for speed. The Dewalt at 14t to 16t is great for bashing and some crawling. its a great crawler at 11t. Enjoy
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Champion
    I must say after the test run the dewalt definitely has lots of torque. Gotta adjust the slipper as even with tightening it from the stock motor setting it's still slipping more than I like..

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    You think the HD slipper clutch rebuild kit from traxxas would eleviate that ? or the hot racing one.

RC Champion
    i put the HD in the day i bought it in both of my summits. Its just a matter of fine tuning now..