Will MIPS greatly reduce speed?

So as you may know on my last thread (https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...anna-go-faster) I want to go to a bigger combo and just go beefier and better. But I've read and felt MIPS are reaaalllly heavy. Will they make a big difference on speed?

Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    So as you may know on my last thread (https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...anna-go-faster) I want to go to a bigger combo and just go beefier and better. But I've read and felt MIPS are reaaalllly heavy. Will they make a big difference on speed?
    Nope not that youll ever notice. In fact you kinda need them if going with bigger power. Get the x-duties. The race duty dog bone style is only good for 2s.

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph Rustler on 4s (Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I prefer Tekno axles above the heavier MIPs because I don't like the extra stress on the diffs. More weight makes acceleration slower (agreed on Briber that you will never notice that with the little weight difference) but doesn't affect top speed.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    My favorite is the Xo1 treatment. Axles, carriers and hubs. Strong, light and reasonably priced. I got them for less than $150 shipped on ebay.
    I'm surprised they aren't recommended more.

RC Competitor
    MIPS on their own won't be that noticeable. However, once you get the MIPS you'll be getting 17MM adapters and bigger wheels/tires. I did notice that my p4de was slowed down a bit once I started adding all of these things.

My temps dropped and my diffs seem to last better now that I switched from x duties to xo1 shafts. In fact there is less slop now that I can lube them without attracting dirt and it isn't as noisy.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

I use a wax based bicycle chain lube on my MIP X-Duty's. I didn't notice any speed loss, or anything really. I'm just running 2S, but didn't want to have to deal with wearing them out all the time. After 6-8 runs, I noticed the yokes on the rears were already twisting on me and got the MIP's before I bought another set of stocks.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

I use graphite, wax sounds good too. thanks for all your opinions

tekno's seem a little more suited to the p4de to me. not that the weight is an issue but they are a little lighter and have the best 17mm kits that works with them.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

HR works on both and are excellent, just gotta use threadlock (whoops)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo View Post
    tekno's seem a little more suited to the p4de to me. not that the weight is an issue but they are a little lighter and have the best 17mm kits that works with them.
    Yup, I have both and prefer the Tenko's. I really like the 17mm adapters too. Goood to know the HR ones will work too. They do have a little more bling to them than the Tenkos. I find I am always having to check and losing the 17mm adapters with the MIPS, never have that issue with the Tenko. That alone makes it worth it to me . Less maintenance and parts that don't fly means more run time .

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Driveshaft Information

brand, part#, Tower price, notes ( if needing metal hexes + $12 ), telescoping or dog bone

MIP-heavy duty, 10130, $57, strongest but too heavy, has metal hexes, Total: $57, telescoping
    MIP-race duty, 13105, $45, break easily - very bad reputation, (not an option), telescoping
    Pro-Line, 6273-01, $57, not proven yet - few parts for rebuild, Total: $69, telescoping
    STRC, ST1953X-L, $35, many parts for rebuild, Total: $47, dog bones (for Sla2h: ST1953X)
    Tekno-M6, TKR6852X, $44, need: TKR1654X aluminum hexes $17.50, easy rebuild, Total: $61.50, dog bones
    Traxxas, 1951R, $44, many parts for rebuild, Total: $56, telescoping (boots rip easily)

I use (have used) MIP, STRC, Tekno, and Traxxas. All have their pros and cons.
    Obstacle Magnet

I have ripped a couple traxxas boots. But not enough to make me consider it a major issue.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Yeah. My six boots have held up mediocre. Nothing worth having me think they are bad choice.
    Obstacle Magnet