RC poster

TQI transmitter not working with bluetooth module connected

Hi!

A couple of days ago I picked up the new 8S X-MAXX together with the traxxas link wireless module.
    I started by installing the wireless module while the 4s batteries charged and played around with the iOS app. The app connected fine over bluetooth and it was behaving as I expected. I did notice that the the ON led did not turn green on the transmitter when turned on, but since the bluetooth module was powered up and working I assumed the ON led was simply broken.

Once my LIPOs where charged I went out for my first ride. Turned on the transmitter, the car and was going to do a servo check but nothing happened. The transmitter had no connection to the car whatsoever, neither steering nor throttle. I checked the app and it was looking fine as before.

I called my local dealer thinking the transmitter was somehow broken and he told me to first try and remove the bluetooth module and try again.
    So I did, and once I turned on the transmitter without the bluetooth module the green ON led lit up directly. Very strange indeed. As expected, the car now repsonded to all inputs and I could get out bashing..

Still, I cant get the transmitter to work with the bluetooth dongle. As soon as I insert the module the ON led stoppes working and the car recieves no input from the transmitter.

Anyone else experience something like this?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    Not at all. I installed mine shortly after purchasing my XMaxx, and have never had any issues like that. Good luck.

RC Racer
    Sounds like it needs a firmware update. The app has a section in settings to check firmware levels. Make sure your app has an internet connection.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input.
    I played around with it a bit more since all the stores are closed due to easter and there is no way of contactingt them/replacing the module.

It appears the transmitter dit infact not connect to the wireless module correctly. I get the bluetooth icon to light up, but the TX icon to the left of the bluetooth icon is red. So, the app does not recognize the transmitter, just the bluetooth module, hence there is no way of updating the TX by bluetooth.

Is there anything that can be done with the transmitter to force it into update mode? Like a magic series of button presses?

RC poster
    problem solved. I noticed one of the connector pins in the transmitter was slightly bent!
    Straightening it out and reconnecting the module got everything up and running!

RC poster

Bent Prong Inside Transmitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    Hi!

A couple of days ago I picked up the new 8S X-MAXX together with the traxxas link wireless module.
    I started by installing the wireless module while the 4s batteries charged and played around with the iOS app. The app connected fine over bluetooth and it was behaving as I expected. I did notice that the the ON led did not turn green on the transmitter when turned on, but since the bluetooth module was powered up and working I assumed the ON led was simply broken.

Once my LIPOs where charged I went out for my first ride. Turned on the transmitter, the car and was going to do a servo check but nothing happened. The transmitter had no connection to the car whatsoever, neither steering nor throttle. I checked the app and it was looking fine as before.

I called my local dealer thinking the transmitter was somehow broken and he told me to first try and remove the bluetooth module and try again.
    So I did, and once I turned on the transmitter without the bluetooth module the green ON led lit up directly. Very strange indeed. As expected, the car now repsonded to all inputs and I could get out bashing..

Still, I cant get the transmitter to work with the bluetooth dongle. As soon as I insert the module the ON led stoppes working and the car recieves no input from the transmitter.

I had this issue as well - turns out that when i removed the insert from the controller I noticed once of the metalic prongs that goes into the attachment was bent while installing the wireless module - I was able to bend it back, re-install the link wireless module into the controller and it all worked fine after that