RC poster

X-Maxx 8S catches fire

Just had an interesting event....

I was out running the truck for about 2 minutes & it rolled over.

Tried the self righting feature & it of course didn't work as usual.
    Walked over & put it on it's wheels.

Proceeded to try running the truck & as soon as I let off the throttle the brakes applied hard & it did a front flip.
    Tried moving it 3 more times & as soon as you lift off the throttle it goes full brake.

So... I shut it off, disconnected the batteries, then reconnected everything & turned it back on.
    The steering worked fine so I assumed the transmitter & receiver were fine.

It turned back on as usual, but would not move.

As soon as you hit the throttle the ESC just turned off.
    Turning it back on, the Amp light was on steady.

Tried it again but the temp light came on steady instead, but everything was still cool to the touch.

Disconnected everything, carried it to the house & went through the manual to try the throttle calibration, but nothing helped. Took it in the house & set it on the pool table for a few hrs while I cut grass.

Came inside & figured I would check all connections just to be sure.
    All looked good, including the fuse in the ESC so I figured I would try it again.
    Had the ESC unbolted & the cover off the receiver.

Hooked up the 2 4S batteries & turned it on.
    Green light was on as well as temp light.
    Hit the throttle & nothing happened & it shut itself off.

Turned it on 1 more time, hit the throttle & sparks shot out the side of the ESC that I was holding in my hand & flames came out the top.
    Yanked the batteries off as fast as I could & I couldn't do anything else as the wires were still hooked to the receiver.

Blew the flames out while it filled the house with smoke.
    Tried to get all the windows open before the smoke detectors went off. Luckily that worked out so I didn't get any calls from the security company or the fire department.

Now my house smells like burnt electrical components.

In summary it was an adventure considering it was only the 4th time & used the truck.

Guess I'm calling Traxxas first thing Monday morning.
    Last edited by LonnieP; 04-15-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    Lonnie

RC Qualifier
    Thank goodness it wasn't worse! It was inside your house could have been really bad. Glad your ok, sorry about the truck that's a rather odd issue. This reason I don't trust the esc's and I like to swap to hobbywing or of the like.. good luck with your call to support center! They should take care of you ! Keep us posted
    V1 BL5/2028, V2 max6/5882, Erevo, Summit, Rustler.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like some of the same issues I've been having , minus the sparks and fire. I sent my to traxxas where they "couldn't replicate the issue" But i had the issue arise again yesterday.

I too am going to contact traxxas Monday. But as Maddogg suggested i just ordered the Hobbywing ESC. I hate being down and not able to use my truck.

RC poster
    True... I don't mind losing the self-righting feature as It's only worked once correctly anyway for me.

I may consider the Max6. Any thoughts on the Casle brand ESC's?
    Lonnie

RC Qualifier
    The self righting feature isn't part of the esc. You will maintain it with any esc. Castle xlx is a decent esc for the xmaxx.
    V1 BL5/2028, V2 max6/5882, Erevo, Summit, Rustler.

Castle XLX is a decent ESC for the Xmaxx.
    That's what I have and I really like it a lot. Plus, it has the benefit of Castle support unlike the Hobby Wings. Traxxas got me hooked on Castle ESC's when I got first got my Emaxx many moons ago with its' Castle MM1 ESC.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-16-2017 at 04:06 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddogg951 View Post
    The self righting feature isn't part of the esc. You will maintain it with any esc.
    My mistake... I thought it was a collaborative part between receiver & ESC to accomplish this.

Guess I'll be buying some upgrades very soon, along with another fire extinguisher just in case.
    Lonnie

If truck ESC behaves strange like the OP describes its better to not trouble inside youre home if possible.

I wonder if other premium RC companies have these ESC issues on the most expensive models they sell.

When trying to get people to choose XMAXX and you say throw out stock ESC and buy a new 3rd party one isnt something people want to hear when they choose a expensive RC.

RC poster
    Just a quick update...

Traxxas received my motor, ESC & receiver for testing.
    It was found that the receiver was also damaged, so both were replaced & quickly returned to me.

The unfortunate part is that I got it back, reassembled everything & now the steering doesn't work. The short/voltage spike must have taken the servo out as well.

Now once the servo shows up I'm back in business.

Although I'm not happy that it broke, I am happy with the customer service from Traxxas.
    Lonnie

RC Qualifier
    Quite an adventure!!
    I built mine up from selected parts.
    I use an XL2 I 'happened to have lying around' feeding a Toro X524 910KV 4-pole motor - very 'over-powered' but great fun.

Hope you get your servo sorted and are up and running soon.

Al.

RC Racer
    A similar thing happened with my 6S. ESC shorted out and took reciever and Servo with it. Traxxas replaced the trio and I upgraded to a Max6 and Savox servo. No electronics issues since I moved away from the Traxxas stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    Quite an adventure!!
    I built mine up from selected parts.
    I use an XL2 I 'happened to have lying around' feeding a Toro X524 910KV 4-pole motor - very 'over-powered' but great fun.

Hope you get your servo sorted and are up and running soon.

Al.
    Would a Max5 puts out enough to feed that Toro? I imagine.

I have a Max5, just trying to figure out which motor to go with. My other 8S rig is Max5 and Leopard 1340kv so I'd like to try something different.

RC Qualifier
    My god I'm glad it didn't start when you were outside. Now this makes me nervous of going 8s, why so many problems and most things catching fire

RC Racer
    I had my 6s esc do the exact same thing as what you described. Right down to hitting the throttle and it turning off. Lukily i was still outside and i was able to quickly drop my controller and unplug the bats. I did not even worry with contacting traxxas even though im sure they would replace it. I just ordered a max6. Hopefully it did not kill anything else as well.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    Would a Max5 puts out enough to feed that Toro? I imagine.

I have a Max5, just trying to figure out which motor to go with. My other 8S rig is Max5 and Leopard 1340kv so I'd like to try something different.
    I would say the Max5 should have no problem - I think they both compete on the same playing field - Max5 and XL2.

Al.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadelvi View Post
    My god I'm glad it didn't start when you were outside. Now this makes me nervous of going 8s, why so many problems and most things catching fire
    I disconnected everything before bringing it in the house. I only reconnected it to do some troubleshooting.

I wouldn't recommend leaving batteries connected unless the RC car is actually in use.
    Lonnie

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitBasher90 View Post
    I had my 6s esc do the exact same thing as what you described. Right down to hitting the throttle and it turning off. Lukily i was still outside and i was able to quickly drop my controller and unplug the bats. I did not even worry with contacting traxxas even though im sure they would replace it. I just ordered a max6. Hopefully it did not kill anything else as well.
    I would contact Traxxas and get it replaced and sell the replacement on Fleabay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    First time ever posting on here, but had the same thing happen with my xmaxx v2 8S. The day it happened drove in the snow for a few minutes, stopped and went to hit the throttle and a near 2' flame shot out from under the body. It not only burned the esc, but also blew the connector off the battery. I think that is what stopped the shorting was the connector acting as a fuse. It also took out the servo, which i just ordered today. Replaced the esc with a Max 6. Hoping this goes better...

RC poster
    I would like to be in one of their daily or weekly meetings when this is the subject. How many times will this happen before they decide to look into it. Or is it just more cost effective to go the replacement route. Burst into flames is not something I would want to hear about a product I was involved in producing.

RC poster
    Completely agree. With the cost of this machine, having this type of issue is unacceptable. Considering the size of traxxas in the rc industry how do other manufacturers produce a higher quality esc? At least i hear few problems what so ever with the max line of esc.

RC Enthusiast
    does this fire thing happen to the newer 8s version or is this the older version this is happening on?

RC Enthusiast
    is this a known issue that traxxas is handling?

Quote Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
    does this fire thing happen to the newer 8s version or is this the older version this is happening on?
    Unfortunately both.

I could count on one hand the 8S fires although I’d have to take my shoes off to count the 6S fires, lol.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
    is this a known issue that traxxas is handling?
    I haven't see anywhere that they are replacing faulty part / parts on new versions. Just handling it as a warranty issue. A kit version would be nice.
    Last edited by jbl302; 03-10-2018 at 04:02 PM.

RC poster
    This just happened to my week old 8s xmaxx today �� emailed them a short time ago.. we’ll see what comes of it...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    Unfortunately both.

I could count on one hand the 8S fires although I’d have to take my shoes off to count the 6S fires, lol.
    That's alot of fingers and toes

RC poster
    Just bought the x-maxx 8s today 2nd run and esc popped and burst into flames

Call Customer Support.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Dealer is calling them in the morning it got one of my batteries too I know it will be taken care of just disappointed it went that quick lol I only went in to buy a new steering servo for my UDR I bought last week and walked out with a x-maxx too lol

RC poster
    Update traxxas is sending a new esc and battery they will be here tomorrow couldn't ask for better customer service

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cazrack View Post
    If truck ESC behaves strange like the OP describes its better to not trouble inside youre home if possible.

I wonder if other premium RC companies have these ESC issues on the most expensive models they sell.

When trying to get people to choose XMAXX and you say throw out stock ESC and buy a new 3rd party one isnt something people want to hear when they choose a expensive RC.
    This is so true and so disappointing after buying such an expensive machine.
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnieP View Post
    Just a quick update...

Traxxas received my motor, ESC & receiver for testing.
    It was found that the receiver was also damaged, so both were replaced & quickly returned to me.

The unfortunate part is that I got it back, reassembled everything & now the steering doesn't work. The short/voltage spike must have taken the servo out as well.

Now once the servo shows up I'm back in business.

Although I'm not happy that it broke, I am happy with the customer service from Traxxas.
    Pity the Australian service wasn't as good as what you got.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by done6675 View Post
    Completely agree. With the cost of this machine, having this type of issue is unacceptable. Considering the size of traxxas in the rc industry how do other manufacturers produce a higher quality esc? At least i hear few problems what so ever with the max line of esc.
    Doesn't really live up to it's name of being 'Tough' does it!!!!

A common boo-boo is that a lot of people get the word "Tough" confused with the word "Indestructible". The Xmaxx is a tough truck, but it's not indestructible.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-03-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Champion
    Heck if any RC company made an “indestructible” truck or car, they would end up losing money and most likely be out of business real fast. As well as most hobby shops! Parts are what makes the companies money as well as hobby shops. Ask a hobby shop how much they make off these vehicles and you’ll soon see it’s not very much. They make their profit off selling parts. With that said, my Traxxas rc’s are pretty tough vehicles! Yes some need upgrades, but that is the fun part!! Break and upgrade! But to bash the vehicle because something broke isn’t too keen on anyone’s part! 99.9% of the time its user error that is the issue! Ok rant over. To All a Good Morning, and God Bless!!!