Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

x-maxx randomly brakes

I have had my x-maxx v2 since early mars. I love it, but it has a really annoying problem.
    It randomly brakes, not often, but still. just like a tap on the brake.
    It has caused some crashes when jumping. really annoying.

Does anyone else have this problem and maybe know what to do

RC Racer
    I have the same issue. I've also seen one or two other people post about it, too. I haven't found a solution, yet. Now that I'm seeing so many with the same issue, I think I'll call Traxxas tomorrow. See what they have to say about it. If they've got a fix, I'll start a thread about it and let you know. Luckily, it hasn't crashed mine. The few times it's happened on jumps, I've gotten lucky and the truck just did a front flip and landed on all fours. :/

RC Enthusiast
    okey. I will try to contact traxxas as well., but I live in Sweden so I don't know if they can help me.
    It really is annoying when it happens mid air. 8 or 9 times I was quick enough to correct it. but the times I wasn't... :/
    Feels like it has to be the esc, or maybe the transmitter/ receiver ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinnanda View Post
    okey. I will try to contact traxxas as well., but I live in Sweden so I don't know if they can help me.
    It really is annoying when it happens mid air. 8 or 9 times I was quick enough to correct it. but the times I wasn't... :/
    Feels like it has to be the esc, or maybe the transmitter/ receiver ?
    You will probably need to talk to the Swedish general distributor www.minicars.se
    They have been spot on the two times i needed help from them.

RC Qualifier
    I have the same problem. It only does it after full throttle than when I let off it will do a sudden Brake real quick some times hard enough it flips over. I was going to call traxxas but after calling them about my defective diff cups sending them a video and they still wouldn't replace them under warranty I have lost a little faith in them sadly... I will be watching this thread to see the outcome. Best of luck
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

RC Racer
    I have two and both do the same thing. Tried everything. Growing tired of it. One of them also randomly shuts off so no control at all so it hits whatever it is last aimed at. Traxxas will look at it maybe send a new one out. Might as well save the shipping cost and get on with the Max6 for one and the Leopard upgrade on the other. I just can't wrap my head around a company that produces some stellar stuff and continues to struggle with the esc. Here is a suggestion, reach out and get someone that can build or just re brand a good quality esc for these trucks because it really takes the fun out of it. There is really no excuse for round two.

RC Racer
    Posted about the same issue a few threads down about it also. Not even a small issue now that I think about it. A small tap on the brakes can be catastrophic. To make matters worse the vx8-s brakes a little to good and don't think it can be adjusted like my max6. Happened like 4 times during the run all spastic when it suddenly slams the brakes.

RC Enthusiast
    We have had a couple weird things happen with the stock v2 maxx that I thought was user error but maybe there is something going on. I'm going to watch closer from now on.
    V1 XMAX6 V2 SNAP-ON XMAXX and Spartan

RC Racer
    A Hobbywing Max5 or Max6 will solve all of your problems. I had to do this and anyone that wants to enjoy the X-Maxx to its fullest potential needs to do this as well.

Sucks but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    A Hobbywing Max5 or Max6 will solve all of your problems. I had to do this and anyone that wants to enjoy the X-Maxx to its fullest potential needs to do this as well.

Now what do you think is more realistic:

1 - Everyone having this problem is going to say "Awe heck, I only spent a grand on the truck, let me go get an esc that works and brings the truck up to its full potential."

OR:

2 - If this is another esc fiasco, lets wait and see if Traxxas is going to correct it. Which more than likely they will if something is wrong.

I don't know, but choice 2 is looking pretty good because the people posting about it can't take a possibly defective esc and sell it on fleabay to recoup their loss of having to buy a Max 5 or Max 6. Maybe they can; but that would result in some negative posting in another forum somewhere on the interwebs.

Do you really think Traxxas is going to attach a clause to the X-Maxx V2 stating something of this nature:

"When you buy our X-Maxx V2, be sure to buy an exclusive esc outside of ours so that you may enjoy the truck in its full potential to get your monies worth that we already got from you."

"Sucks but it is what it is" doesn't cut it when someone buys something new.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Racer
    I totally agree with you Flux Capacitor you shouldn't have to swap out an ESC right off the bat but that is what far too many had to do to get reliable operation. When my VXL-6S failed on me at the first month of ownership and took my servo and reciever out I ended up waiting a month to get it back up and running again. I took the advice of many on here and took the down time as an opportunity to make the truck what I felt it should have been out of the box. After a Max6 and Savox servo I've been bashing and having fun ever since.

I love my X-Maxx now that I took out the stuff that wasn't up to snuff and made it reliable. No regrets.

Good luck to all that are waiting for Traxxas to make it right. For those that don't want to wait, Max6 it and get to enjoying the truck.
    Last edited by titanse05; 04-16-2017 at 10:56 PM.

I totally agree with you Flux Capacitor you shouldn't have to swap out an ESC right off the bat but that is what far too many had to do to get reliable operation. When my VXL-6S failed on me at the first month of ownership and took my servo and reciever out I ended up waiting a month to get it back up and running again. I took the advice of many on here and took the down time as an opportunity to make the truck what it should have been out of the box. After a Max6 and Savox servo I've been bashing and having fun ever since.

I love my X-Maxx now that I took out the stuff that wasn't up to snuff and made it reliable. No regrets.

Good luck to all that are waiting for Traxxas to make it right. For those that don't want to wait, Max6 it and get to enjoying the truck.

I hear you. You want to hear something odd? I got an E-Maxx (brushed version) that I have $1625 tied up in just this past month. Funny thing is, they removed the brushed version from the website but it is still on the phone app I think. Oh well, boys and their toys I guess.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I hear you. You want to hear something odd? I got an E-Maxx (brushed version) that I have $1625 tied up in just this past month. Funny thing is, they removed the brushed version from the website but it is still on the phone app I think. Oh well, boys and their toys I guess.
    I have a ton tied up into my X-Maxx but it's worth it. My kids love to watch it and I enjoy fixing/maintaining it. Glad it's my only RC though.

I have a ton tied up into my X-Maxx but it's worth it. My kids love to watch it and I enjoy fixing/maintaining it. Glad it's my only RC though.

The X-Maxx is my next Traxxas vehicle; I'm just waiting for one more thing to happen before I get it though.

I am having the exact same issue. Anyone talk to Traxxas yet??
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Do any of you guys use the Bluetooth and app? I haven't seen this in any of my trucks, but I use the app to fine tune. Just wondering if this is something that I'm potentially going to get hit with or the app is keeping this from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by w8liftn View Post
    Do any of you guys use the Bluetooth and app?
    I do use the Bluetooth & App...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    I am having the exact same issue. Anyone talk to Traxxas yet??
    EVERYBODY with this problem NEEDS to be talking to TRAXXAS otherwise they won't think it's a big problem because only a few mention the problem of sudden braking. Something somewhere is slamming back once you let off the throttle like a clutch pad reversing suddenly for a second. I get a kick out of those who state " I will wait, watch, and see" or "Let us know what you hear"...... YOU all need to be ringing the phone off the hook to even get their attention so they know there's an epidemic of this happening. The problem with solving problems is too many people sit on their hands hoping 'BobbyJo' get's an answer they want to hear. THAT is probably why the problem STILL exists! Comon' people, pick up the phone and send those e-mails or the ball will never really start rolling!!! This is the manufacturer's mistake to correct, NOT THE CUSTOMER'S!!!! Hope that idea helps........ And I wanted to buy one,but now I'll wait! Thanks, Scott
    Sent from my AT&T flip phone using poke-and-squint

RC Racer
    Did just that, just got off the phone with them and the rep said it's the first time he has heard of the issue. Pretty much just gonna drive it again tom and see if it keeps doin it.

RC Racer
    I called them yesterday. I've been busy so this is the first chance I've had to post. The rep I spoke to didn't say he hadn't heard of it, but he did say he hadn't heard of much of it and recalibrating the transmitter to the ESC usually fixes it so he walked me through that and told me to call back if it continues. I'll call them back tomorrow, because it didn't fix the issue.

I agree with Wizardmaster. Anyone with this issue should call. I know we all HATE calling in on stuff like this because you get put on hold or people talk to you like you're stupid, but I've called them three times since I got this truck and I'm on the phone with someone within 5-10 minutes and they're always cool.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3edw View Post
    I called them yesterday. I've been busy so this is the first chance I've had to post. The rep I spoke to didn't say he hadn't heard of it, but he did say he hadn't heard of much of it and recalibrating the transmitter to the ESC usually fixes it so he walked me through that and told me to call back if it continues. I'll call them back tomorrow, because it didn't fix the issue.

I agree with Wizardmaster. Anyone with this issue should call. I know we all HATE calling in on stuff like this because you get put on hold or people talk to you like you're stupid, but I've called them three times since I got this truck and I'm on the phone with someone within 5-10 minutes and they're always cool.
    Yea I rarely call either. I've got 20 plus years in this hobby and mostly take care of things myself so i do feel weird when I'm like yea the truck is randomly breaking as in stopping, feel like a little kid. Anyway at least if anything like wizard said they got a call. I'm also one that takes the easier more expensive route and upgrading a flaw but I can understand how some won't stand for it.

RC Racer
    Honestly, I already ordered a Max6 myself. But I'd really like to get a new or refurbished, working VXL8 to sell to recoup some of the cost or at least as a backup. I did pay for it and it's not functioning as intended. They owe me one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris3edw View Post
    Honestly, I already ordered a Max6 myself. But I'd really like to get a new or refurbished, working VXL8 to sell to recoup some of the cost or at least as a backup. I did pay for it and it's not functioning as intended. They owe me one.
    Yea I hear you, if it's faulty and it gets replaced selling it might not be such a bad idea. My 6s x has the max6 and the 8s is getting the max 5 treatment, otherwise it is such a beast. Liking the center diff and how it handles the power.

Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    EVERYBODY with this problem NEEDS to be talking to TRAXXAS otherwise they won't think it's a big problem because only a few mention the problem of sudden braking.
    Ok. I will make the call this afternoon. You are right.

RC poster
    I have the same problem. i wrote to traxxas, they told me to send in the esc. I think i will order the max6 esc.

RC Qualifier
    Just a question.
    When this is happening, are the batteries fully charged or part-discharged?
    Is the throttle requested / in use part-throttle or full-load / full throttle?

Al.

RC poster
    Hello atom3624. It can happen when batteries is fully charged, and when they are part-discharged. For me it happens when i let go of the throttle, and it is always low speed. It never happens when car is at full speed, and i let go of the throttle.

RC Competitor
    When it first happened to me, I was like, "What that heck was that?" But now I guess I'm used to the quirks of this esc. It seems to happen at slower speeds when slowing down to turn around or something. Its like a momentary studder with the brakes for a split second, possibly this ESC has drag brakes as standard? I don't know. And I cannot get it to replicate every run, its a once in a blue moon kind of thing. At this point I'm going to just run it till she blows, it doesn't seem to cause any catastrophic damage when its moving so slow. With all things electronic, I'm hoping Traxxas will figure it out, and release a firmware update to cure the sudden breaks of death syndrome.

Just got off the phone with support. They emailed me a return shipping label and requested I ship the WHOLE truck and transmitter to them. He mentioned at there weekly roundtable meeting there was a mention of another similar situation as we are all describing. I don't know how keen I am about them hot-rodding my truck around trying to replicate the problem as it is only very intermittent... We'll see

I just received the completed RMA email from Traxxas. They replaced my ESC and as a courtesy replaced my shabby tires!!
    Beggars cant be choosers but I hope they are the 8S tires...
    Thank you Traxxas!

RC Qualifier
    I just received the completed RMA email from Traxxas. They replaced my ESC and as a courtesy replaced my shabby tires!!
    Beggars cant be choosers but I hope they are the 8S tires...
    Thank you Traxxas!

I talked to them last night about the stopping issue and the pin system not creating the right mesh with 18/46 set up it keeps chewing up gears. But they are sending me rma and I am to send my esc and motor in for them to look at.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

RC Competitor
    Wow just saw this thread and mine was doing the same thing but just had my MAXX replaced by TRX have not had a chance to run it maybe this weekend but since they calibrated hopefully fixes the problem. I just maybe thought normal glitch but from what I see not.

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni03 View Post
    I just maybe thought normal glitch but from what I see not.
    I thought the same thing until I saw a few others had the same problem. Traxxas requested I send in the whole truck and transmitter. I never heard what the problem was just they replaced my ESC, calibrated and tested with no issues...

RC Enthusiast
    I just started having this issue today. This was my 2nd time running my original XMaxx with the 8S upgrade kit. Guess I'm calling or emailing Traxxas tomorrow.

Well, I hate to report that Traxxas replacing my ESC did not fix the issue. I noticed it do it again this weekend. I don't know what to do?

RC Competitor
    Well, I hate to report that Traxxas replacing my ESC did not fix the issue. I noticed it do it again this weekend. I don't know what to do?
    Get a Max6 esc!

RC Enthusiast
    I bought my XMAXX in February and received it at the end of February and had the same issue when I drove it the first time. I called support and they had me rebind it and all that. Emailed them this past Sunday and Monday they asked me to send back my motor and esc. So I guess I'm going to be waiting to see what happens. Hopefully with enough stuff sent back to look at and study they can get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    It has to be a firmware issue. The 8s esc needs more delay for reverse, or a total lockout out when moving forward. It could also be drag brakes engaging, or even the EMF detection is having a problem calculating the rotor position. All should be easily fixed with a firmware update if Traxxas engineers would take this seriously and provide a fix, not just simply handing out a new esc and hoping the problem goes away. Funny this was not an issue with the old 6s esc.

RC Racer

This guy is on the right track.

RC Enthusiast
    I agree. One issue maybe a faulty part but as many as there is going around it's definitely not faulty as far as the esc being broken or a manufacturing issue. There is something else going on an I also believe it's the firmware or something comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast