Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast
    Sent my motor and esc back to Traxxas and apparently the esc had an error and they reset it and everything is working fine for them. So they're shipping it back and now just waiting till I get it so I can reinstall everything and see if it still has the same the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Let us know how it works out. Shame it had to be sent in for an error that will most likely get fixed with an update soon.

RC Enthusiast
    Sad is an understatement. I got an email at 11:49 telling me Traxxas receive my package and at 12:16 telling me all was fixed and being shipped back. Not sure how much real testing can be made in that short amount of time. If any.

Quote Originally Posted by Vturbo14 View Post
    Not sure how much real testing can be made in that short amount of time. If any.
    Right!!
    They turned mine around quick too. I hope they are gathering these ESC's and trying to figure out an update. I noticed mine do it again after they replaced...
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Racer
    Mine brakes to but only at slow speeds, kinda weird but unless something gets worse I'll live with it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdopirak View Post
    I was going to call traxxas but after calling them about my defective diff cups sending them a video and they still wouldn't replace them under warranty I have lost a little faith in them sadly...
    I must say I had a problem with my xmaxx that came on the first run that was 100% user error and they helped me out. It was a expensive lesson had I payed for the repair, they are #1 in my books lol.

RC poster
    The Same Problem on my truck sometimes it brakes spontaneously at low speeds.

RC Enthusiast
    Got mine back after sending the esc off and motor and was told the esc had an error and all fixed. Well the problem is back and I've only had a hand full of times so far to run it. The first time or two it was ok then around the 3rd or 4th it was back.

RC Competitor
    I am glad I have not yet coughed up the money for one of these. The Jato still gets my rocks off.

RC poster

Thumbs up

My XMaxx was built in late March 2017, use only Traxxas 4S Lipo's, stock gearing. I have noticed the same issue with my truck. When it happens, it's always after releasing the throttle and coasting, then slam like it brakes or tries to reverse suddenly.

Last week I installed a friends iLink and the Firmware was updated for both Transmitter and Receiver (not sure the rev. No.). Anyway I have not saw the issue since, maybe a coincidence!

Also notice that now when in Reverse I have full brakes by applying forward throttle, just like the normal brake procedure when going forward. I have to let go of forward and apply again to pull out. I am very pleased to find this because I had no real brakes when rolling backwards before, just try to slightly apply forward. I feel more confident in maneuvering this massive beast, all with a simple Firmware upgrade.

I will post again if the original problem comes back, then contact Traxxas, but for now I am satisfied!
    Go Outside And Play!

RC poster
    Thats interesting!

I found this on a esc thread (from a traxxas employe):

Future firmware updates for the ESC travel "over-the-air" to the ESC through the Traxxas Link app (iOS and Android). This requires installing the Bluetooth Traxxas Link wireless module (part #6511) onto the TQi transmitter.

Maybe i give it a try too with the Link.
    Last edited by Rico_; 07-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    that same thing happened to my new 8S after a few runs and found someone that reset their controller - I did that and it fixed it.

RC poster
    So, i bought the link updated my receiver and transmitter and now i also have the reverse brake whats really awesome. I'm not 100% sure if it fixed the spontaneous braking because i saw two times at very low speed something that looked like the old problem. But the truck was very slow at this point so no big deal and i'm Not absolutely sure because i run itonly for one pack of lipos. But i love the reverse brake it is nice.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cen7 View Post
    that same thing happened to my new 8S after a few runs and found someone that reset their controller - I did that and it fixed it.
    How do you do that?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Highroller54 View Post
    How do you do that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-qcJUVCc5o

RC poster
    I took mine out for the first run today. Low speeds, random braking which was enough to flip the back tires in the air. High speeds, no issues. I guess I'll try the Traxxas Bluetooth Link module and see if a firmware update helps.

RC poster
    Has been around 3 weeks and I have not observed the original problem again. Not saying that it is for sure solved, but looks promising!

Go Outside And Play!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    A Hobbywing Max5 or Max6 will solve all of your problems. I had to do this and anyone that wants to enjoy the X-Maxx to its fullest potential needs to do this as well.

Sucks but it is what it is.
    You had this issue too and the Max 5 fixed it? Asking for a friend.

RC poster
    I purchased the bluetooth module and did the firmware update to the tx and rx. Two runs now and definitely no low speed glitching as much as before the update. I had a couple instances tonight out of about 35 minutes of run time where it glitched but nothing that bothered me.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by johnksvo@gmail.com View Post
    You had this issue too and the Max 5 fixed it? Asking for a friend.
    I want to update this. I got the max 6 and it cured this issue with the Xmaxx. Firmware updates did not. Several re-calibrations did not either. Shame that's what it is but I am over it. If you have this same issue get the max 6, forget your Xmaxx ever did this and enjoy the extra power!

RC Racer
    Just bought the Green 8s X-maxx. I was finally able to take it out for the first time today and Ive got the same Issue! Random brake. I called Traxxas and they said they have never heard of this issue before! Hmm, how many people are they going to tell this to?? They sent me an rma to send my esc in.
    Im going to my local hobby shop to order the Hobbywing Max5. Probably going to get the castle 2828 motor too.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    Just bought the Green 8s X-maxx. I was finally able to take it out for the first time today and Ive got the same Issue! Random brake. I called Traxxas and they said they have never heard of this issue before! Hmm, how many people are they going to tell this to?? They sent me an rma to send my esc in.
    Im going to my local hobby shop to order the Hobbywing Max5. Probably going to get the castle 2828 motor too.
    Just in case you don't know, you'll need a new motor mount & a new pinion for a 5mm shaft, if you go with that motor.
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

RC Racer
    Yep Iíve got one on order from fastlane. Thanks for the tip!

RC Enthusiast
    Welp add me to the list, 8s Xmaxx less than a month old with the random braking issue. This is beyond pathetic that Traxxas has not fixed this issue.

So pretty much the only way to fix this issue is to get away from the Traxxas ESC completely?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Add me. Got my truck. Ran 3 cycles no problem.throttle smooth as butter. As soon as i bought an i pod, and got update and from the link app the issue started. In my opinion, if i did not use the link app, my esc would be fine. Cs just told me they have never heard of the issue. I have been selling traxxas customer support to new guys for years. Will never do that again. So the max6 will run the 1200kv motor on 8s with no heat issues? Im very happy with stock motor performance and will not upgrade it. Got so much cash into this rig now dont want to spend the extra money on a max5 if i dont need too...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Add me. Got my truck. Ran 3 cycles no problem.throttle smooth as butter. As soon as i bought an i pod, and got update and from the link app the issue started. In my opinion, if i did not use the link app, my esc would be fine. Cs just told me they have never heard of the issue. I have been selling traxxas customer support to new guys for years. Will never do that again. So the max6 will run the 1200kv motor on 8s with no heat issues? Im very happy with stock motor performance and will not upgrade it. Got so much cash into this rig now dont want to spend the extra money on a max5 if i dont need too...
    I am in the same boat my friend deciding if I want to spend the difference between a Max6 and a Max5, this is extremely sad that we spent $1000 on an RC car to have to spend another $150-200 to fix the issue the manufacturer can not. This is my first Traxxas in years and will be my last, I had in layaway a Summit for my son for Christmas I called the Hobby store and will be going to put the money towards something else not Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2733 View Post
    I am in the same boat my friend deciding if I want to spend the difference between a Max6 and a Max5, this is extremely sad that we spent $1000 on an RC car to have to spend another $150-200 to fix the issue the manufacturer can not. This is my first Traxxas in years and will be my last, I had in layaway a Summit for my son for Christmas I called the Hobby store and will be going to put the money towards something else not Traxxas.
    +1 , make no sense to spend so much money into upgrades...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zeflex View Post
    +1 , make no sense to spend so much money into upgrades...
    Exactly especially when this isn't really an upgrade a person should have to do, I mean springs and odd stuff sure but replacing an ESC because the one that comes with the vehicles are faulty is ridiculous.

I like how Traxxas Support is completely non-existent on this forum. Reminds me a lot of the PC world going to manufacturer support sites and you will NEVER see a support rep post or respond.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Denial while calling in is enough for me to know that it prob wouldnt matter if they were here. Oh well im over it. Said my piece... Good luck to everyone with this issue...

RC Enthusiast
    Denial while calling in is enough for me to know that it prob wouldnt matter if they were here. Oh well im over it. Said my piece... Good luck to everyone with this issue...
    Called today and I qoute was told "you have 2 options send in your ESC/Motor and we will run it for 10 seconds on a test bench maybe a little longer if it doesn't mess up we will send it back OR you can send the whole truck down and we will drive it in our lot to test" I questioned how frequent of a problem this is and his response first he had heard till I brought up this thread and other users and more on different forums and than all of the sudden he had heard of the issue and they have sold million of these trucks and this is extremely limited.

This is a complete joke, went ahead and ordered a MAX5. As soon as Kershaw Designs gets their mount back in I will get it and castle 2028 motor and be done with this.

RC Racer
    This is a complete joke, went ahead and ordered a MAX5. As soon as Kershaw Designs gets their mount back in I will get it and castle 2028 motor and be done with this.[/QUOTE]

Youíll really like the max5 upgrade. Not sure if youíve read my posts, but I had the same issue with random braking. Traxxas also told me the same they told you ďThis is the first weíve heard of thisĒ.
    After going with the max5, the truck has more power/speed and absolutely no random braking! I went with the Leopard motor and fastlaneRC mount. Iím not sure kershaw is in business anymore after the owner had recently passed away..

RC Enthusiast
    This is a complete joke, went ahead and ordered a MAX5. As soon as Kershaw Designs gets their mount back in I will get it and castle 2028 motor and be done with this.
    You’ll really like the max5 upgrade. Not sure if you’ve read my posts, but I had the same issue with random braking. Traxxas also told me the same they told you “This is the first we’ve heard of this”.
    After going with the max5, the truck has more power/speed and absolutely no random braking! I went with the Leopard motor and fastlaneRC mount. I’m not sure kershaw is in business anymore after the owner had recently passed away..
    Thank you big time for the response friend!! Yea I had plans later on down the road to go to a 1/5 scale just not this soon lol. Heck the way I looked at it, I could spent $40-75 for shipping and than get it back with the same problem so why waste my time. I am trying to figure out how I want to install it, I am not a fan of zip ties lol.

Did you ever run the Max5 with the stock motor? I worry about burning up the factory motor with all the extra juice but I think if I just watch temps it should be ok.

Thank you again, my Max5 will be here wed so hopefully this weekend I will sit down with the boy and get it installed and all new Castle connectors put on the batteries going away from Traxxas. Not gonna lie a little nervous soldering to the batteries lol

I swear if it does it after this you guys won't hear from me anymore my wife will bury me with it in the back yard lol

Extra juice? The stock motor should be fine on 8s. Can the max 5 run higher than 8 s?

RC Racer

x-maxx randomly brakes

Thank you big time for the response friend!! Yea I had plans later on down the road to go to a 1/5 scale just not this soon lol. Heck the way I looked at it, I could spent $40-75 for shipping and than get it back with the same problem so why waste my time. I am trying to figure out how I want to install it, I am not a fan of zip ties lol.

Did you ever run the Max5 with the stock motor? I worry about burning up the factory motor with all the extra juice but I think if I just watch temps it should be ok.

Thank you again, my Max5 will be here wed so hopefully this weekend I will sit down with the boy and get it installed and all new Castle connectors put on the batteries going away from Traxxas. Not gonna lie a little nervous soldering to the batteries lol

I swear if it does it after this you guys won't hear from me anymore my wife will bury me with it in the back yard lol
    Yes sir happy to help!
    I havenít had a chance to put the big motor in yet, So I am running the Max5 with the stock motor. It seems to be doing just fine. Knowing Iíve the big motor on standby, I really letír rip on the stock motor and no problems yet!
    Due to the larger size of the Max5, mounting poses a bit of an issue however. I would recommend getting an ESC mount plate when you order the motor mount for the bigger motor. While I was waiting for my mount to come in, I cut down a 2x4 into sort of a wedge shape as a temporary ESC mount. This raises it above the receiver cover. I unfortunately had to use zip ties to mount it, but I did find some pretty cool hook things at the local hardware store that I used on the fan mount screws to hold it down.
    As for the 6mm castle connectors, if I may offer some advice. Use a small torch to solder them rather than an iron. I have a high power Trakpower 950 and It couldnít do the job. I did all the connectors with a small propane torch and it worked perfect!
    Last edited by pontiacHP; 11-28-2017 at 06:41 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Is the stock motor bullet connectors a 6 or 6.5mm I thought on a few websites it was showing them as 6mm? Sorry I have a digital caliper but of course it is digital only....dang never paid attention it didn't have markings until last night and the of course batteries are dead lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Is the stock motor bullet connectors a 6 or 6.5mm I thought on a few websites it was showing them as 6mm? Sorry I have a digital caliper but of course it is digital only....dang never paid attention it didn't have markings until last night and the of course batteries are dead lol

My mistake, you are right they are 6.5 mm connectors

RC Enthusiast
    My mistake, you are right they are 6.5 mm connectors
    No I appreciate you just verifying, I wasnt a 100% sure just basing it on what I was able to find with Google and we all know that isn't always right. I picked up some of Caslte 6.5mm high amperage bullet connectors so I hope those work. Hate to have make little 2-3" cable from the esc to motor leads but really no other way around it.

RC Racer
    No I appreciate you just verifying, I wasnt a 100% sure just basing it on what I was able to find with Google and we all know that isn't always right. I picked up some of Caslte 6.5mm high amperage bullet connectors so I hope those work. Hate to have make little 2-3" cable from the esc to motor leads but really no other way around it.

I used the castle 6.5mm connectors as well. Itís actually quite easy to do if you use a torch instead of a soldering iron.

RC Enthusiast
    I used the castle 6.5mm connectors as well. Itís actually quite easy to do if you use a torch instead of a soldering iron.
    Thanks glad to know the connectors work, I have a 700w solder iron I am hoping it works however I have read most use the 1000-1200w solder guns. Hoping it will work it goes to 400c so I will give it a good try lol going to put those on and converting my batteries to Castle 6.5mm connectors

RC Enthusiast
    Extra juice? The stock motor should be fine on 8s. Can the max 5 run higher than 8 s?
    Voltage output is the same between stock however the amperage output is different the Max5 can output more amperage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast