RC Enthusiast

Transmitter and Receiver keep disconnecting

Hi all,

This started a few months ago (and to be honest, I have not run my slash much since it began).

I charge up my battery (Nimh), put new batteries in the Transmitter, Turn every thing on...and Go.

Car runs for a few moments and then begins to surge. Power...no Power...Power...no Power...and then it runs fine for a few. Then suddenly it goes non responsive. I pop the lid, and I have fast flashing red light on the receiver. Have to unplug to get the car to respond in any way.

Plug it back up, turn it on...and I am back to a green light, and it runs again for a few...and then disconnect.

I have tried Resetting and repairing the Transmitter and receiver. Nothing different. The car behaves the same way.

I am at my wits end with this one. Anyone have any suggestions?

-SJ

RC Enthusiast
    I bet its your battery. I had the same issue with my original NIMH battery by the time it was only 2 months old. I retired it. The problem doesn't exist with my Lipo batteries.

Trying a new Lipo would be the first step in my opinion. Good luck!

Seems like this is a problem with the newer Slashes running NiMHs.
    You need to get a Glitch Buster or upgrade to LiPos to cure it.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Squeegie and Rapid...What is a Glitch Buster? And can you recommend one?
    Last edited by silentjester; 04-17-2017 at 01:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    I had the same problem and yes, it sounds like it's the battery. It doesn't have enough power to run the truck with the tsm. I called traxxas with this problem and they sent me a free glitch buster, which fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by silentjester View Post
    Thanks Squeegie and Rapid...What is a Glitch Buster? And can you recommend one?
    A glitch buster is just a capacitor, it acts like a shock absorber for you electronics.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektru...FdSXfgodv2EElQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by liljoejoe54 View Post
    I had the same problem and yes, it sounds like it's the battery. It doesn't have enough power to run the truck with the tsm. I called traxxas with this problem and they sent me a free glitch buster, which fixed the problem.
    Same here, Traxxas sent me one too but I haven't had an issue since running Lipos only, so in my toolbox it sits.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    I bet its your battery. I had the same issue with my original NIMH battery by the time it was only 2 months old. I retired it. The problem doesn't exist with my Lipo batteries.

Trying a new Lipo would be the first step in my opinion. Good luck!
    Glad this was brought up. This happens to me and I switched batteries and even tried Lipo and no change at all. I too, thought it was the batteries but I know it is not. Then I thought there was a frequency problem in my area especially with people who run 2.4 Ghz wireless cameras on their homes. The 2.4 Ghz play heck with my wifi for sure!! Gee wiz!!!
    Sent from my AT&T flip phone using poke-and-squint

RC Enthusiast
    Yall are awesome! Thanks for the assist. I called Traxxas, and they are sending me a glitch buster as well. Lets hope it works.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    Glad this was brought up. This happens to me and I switched batteries and even tried Lipo and no change at all. I too, thought it was the batteries but I know it is not. Then I thought there was a frequency problem in my area especially with people who run 2.4 Ghz wireless cameras on their homes. The 2.4 Ghz play heck with my wifi for sure!! Gee wiz!!!
    Time to try a glitch buster then...last easy thing to try...if that's not it, its out of my realm of knowledge on these rigs 🤔

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Seems like this is a problem with the newer Slashes running NiMHs.
    You need to get a Glitch Buster or upgrade to LiPos to cure it.
    I experienced this last night running my slash I upgraded to a newer radio and tx (has the TSM) and my understanding is it's the fail safe/TSM. It is a little frustrating as I ordered a new RX and steering servo... and then found out about the issue on the NiMH packs... guess I should have read more!

RC Enthusiast
    Mine has fresh batteries. Low throttle would work but as soon as I got it it would stop. Called traxxas and they are sending a glitch buster. HOPE IT'S IN today or I'm checking with my lhs

RC Enthusiast
    I just bought my first rc a couple weeks ago - a slash 4x4 vxl. The second time i went to use it, no response from the transmitter. I was furious. Luckily my local shop was very helpful. Shop owner explained that sometimes low voltage dips can cause problems with the electronics. He showed me how to relink the transmitter and threw in a cap at no charge. Glad i bought local instead of online.

Sadly, i've had my transmitter disconnect a couple times since then (over about 2 weeks). This seems like a pretty big design flaw. I'm using the stock NiMH battery.