Thread: Rustler VXL

RC poster

Rustler VXL

I am kind of new to rc cars right now I have the electric Rustler, I was wondering what upgrades I should make to it. And I was also wondering how the Rustler VXL is compared to the regular Rustler. And how fast and good is the rustler vxl stock?

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I love my Rustler (Rusty). You have the brushed, Titan/XL-5 powerplant, right?

A brushless system like the Velineon/VXL-3S system is far superior. I happen to really like the offerings from Castle Creations.

Like this combo:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...115-05/p618576

Check out the Castle Creations website and drool.

Also, switching to LiPo batteries is fantastic. Worth every penny. I like SMC packs but Traxxas has a charger with two LiPo packs for $200. It's a pretty good deal.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2990/p474595
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    What would be good upgrades to make to my electric Rusler (aluminum/RPM plastic parts)? I broke the rear axle carriers 3 times..... barely even hit a bump. But I was also wondering if I make some of the parts aluminum obviously it's going to add wait so should I put a better/bigger motor on it a better battery and a better speed control? If so what ones should I put on it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    An important difference is the VXL has bearings where the XL-5 has bushings. I believe the tranny is different, the tie rod ends are not adjustable with the XL-5. Really the difference between the two is night and day. I think as. Starter vehicle most would prefer to buy the VXL and put the esc in training mode. That being said many people buy and enjoy the XL-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't go aluminum. Plastic is cheap and a good weak point. Why break worse things? Replacing a chassis is a lot more work!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For castor blocks and axle carriers is go with aluminum, unless you're just off-road bashing. I was on and off road prior to my cars transformation. I had a good mixture of aluminum and rpm parts. Those king pin in the castor blocks, with plastic bend like its there job

Gripdog7205 is absolutely right about using aluminum castor blocks. This is a must. Plastic castor blocks flex which causes the kingpins to become bent and thus, ruin steering performance. Your kingpins may already be bent.

Gripdog7205 is also right about replacing the bushings with bearings. That is a fantastic improvement too.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Both of these upgrades are cheap and easy as well.

I will vouch for aluminum castor block. the king pins do bend like play doh with plastic castor blocks, and they look cool. I have the vxl so it has ball bearings.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good

What are your plans for the vehicle? On or off road bashing? Are you interested in run time? Speed? All of the above? If you have an XL5 and youre not satisfied, I would look for a used VXL esc/motor and upgrade the bearings and see how you like it. Upgrading any item you continuosly break to aluminum might not be a bad idea but the castors and hubs should really be all you need
    Last edited by NYbandit33; 04-18-2017 at 06:39 PM.