RC Competitor

More speed for mini summit?

Hi everyone, I have the mini summit, brushed right now. I am about to take the next step and upgrade to the velineon brushless setup. I know that this car is supposed to only go 40 in series, but is there a way to make it go faster? My goal is to get it to reach 50mph. I can buy a 3s lipo if needed. Also, I have heard that the mini summit vxl stock pinion is a 16 tooth. Would it make a lot of a difference if I upgraded the pinion to a 23 tooth?

Thank you for all your help.

With the VXL combo and the right gearing, you should be able to get to 50 mph. Stepping from 2S to 3S theoretically gives you 50% more speed. It's a matter of experimenting with gear ratios while keeping a close eye to temps of motor and ESC.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    So, thank you for replying. Is it possible to get those speeds with two batteries in series? I think that the voltage of those batteries together beats out the voltage of 3s. So would that mean more speed?

Thank you for your time.

The voltage of two NiMH batteries in series is higher when they come fresh from the charger, but that higher voltage will not stay long. Lipo batteries hold their voltage much longer and most of the time the voltage sags less under load.

So if you have advantage of the higher voltage (depends on quality of NIMHs), it will be only shortly.

RC Competitor
    Okay, thanks. Do you have any clue to how hot two NiHM`s would get?

I would not run a 23t pinion, with a stock spur. I run a 18t pinion, with stock spur, 50t I think, on two 2s lipos in parallel. I only have heat issues if in heavy grass. I tried a 20t, and it heated up pretty quick on speed runs. I think it is pretty fast on that gearing, any faster, and it would not any fun. I would spend all of my time flipping back over. It spends a fair amount of time upside down as it is.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    Thank you for replying. I thought that I could run it with a 23 tooth pinion because traxxas support actually recommended that pinion for the mini summit when doing speed runs. I wouldn't be running very hard on grass, just on pavement. I also would just be doing 3 runs back and forth over 200ft, so I think that I wouldn't get that hot. I think what I will do is get the stock gearing once the motor arrives, and then keep upping the pinion gear and watching the temps all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    I think what I will do is get the stock gearing once the motor arrives, and then keep upping the pinion gear and watching the temps all the time.
    That sounds like a good plan.

RC Racer
    try raising the amount of teeth on a pinion gear or spur gear, those should get you more speed and faster acceleration.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for replying. Do you think that running a 23 tooth is safe to run?

Hello everybody, about to order the brushless system for the mini summit. I am also going to need the motor mounts 7090, and 7060. I also need a pinion to get it going. Any recommendations? Also, please give me the part numbers for the pinions. Also, is the stock spur on the brushed summit a 48 pitch?

Thanks
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-24-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: merge

Gears are 48P. If I had to start over again, I would have bought a set of different pinions right away, like the 1050 set from Robinson Racing.