RC poster

Stampede 4x4 to Slash 4x4

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and an owner of a Stampede 4x4 VXL. I am wanting to convert to a Slash 4x4. I have done a little research on the forums but every reference I found was from a few years back and didn't agree on all the parts I would need.

I know that I need:
    Slash lcg chassis
    Slash driveshaft
    Slash tires
    Slash body

Items I am not sure about:
    Slash bumpers
    body mounts
    Anything else...

I am trying to get a gauge of the overall price for all the parts and the difficulty of the conversion before committing to it. It may be easier to spend a little extra for the Slash Platinum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tommy

RC Competitor
    If I remember you need, center drive shaft, tires, body mounts, chassis, front &rear diff housings, Motor plate, Motor mount, bumpers, front bell crank, and a few other odds and ends.

If I am missing anything please let me know.

-Zach

RC Enthusiast
    After adding up all the parts I would need I ended up buying a roller off of ebay. It had a dyed chassis and all stainless screws with bumpers, body mounts and pretty much everything I needed except the body and wheels/tires. I just switched the motor/esc/receiver and front and rear clips off of my Stampede. I also ended up with most of the suspension parts to put my stampede back together. I am putting it back together as I upgrade the Slash. I'm enjoying the Slash immensely, but also miss the bashability of my Stampede. The one I ordered had a couple left but the price went up and I dont see them now. I paid less than $100 bucks. Good luck with your conversion.

RC Qualifier
    I guess the easiest way is to get the LCG conversion kit #7421.
    In addition you'll need:
    Center driveshaft (#6855)
    One body mount (#6815R)
    Front bumper (#6835)
    Rear bumper (#6836)
    Tires and wheels
    Body

Or get a roller!

I converted my Stampede 4x4 VXL to a HCG Slash 4x4, but within a month I missed the Stampede so much that I ordered parts and rebuilt it. So my advice is to go for the Platinum and buy an additional receiver. That way you'll have the best of both worlds...
    Last edited by Viking; 03-20-2017 at 01:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I converted my Stampede 4x4 VXL to a HCG Slash 4x4, but within a month I missed the Stampede so much that I ordered parts and rebuilt it. So my advice is to go for the Platinum and buy an additional receiver. That way you'll have the best of both worlds...
    What he said...in retrospect, I wish I would have done the same. I will get to upgrade the motor/esc on one of them now tho.

RC Qualifier
    For those that miss the Stampede why do you? I have a Stampede I'm thinking of doing a lcg Slash conversion. I already have a slash HCG monster truck and a Xmaxx for my mt duties. I'm debating on selling my Stampede without the radio and installing it into a Slash platinum.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Enthusiast
    Well, for me, I miss the wheelies most! So much that I just went and bought another Stampede VXL 4x4.

I really do enjoy running my Slash on our little makeshift track but got tired of switching tires, shocks, bodies and bumpers around to bash with it and then not having it in the right setup for racing when I wanted to go quick. I also want to get my sons into this a bit and now I have 2 rigs to run at the same time.

The main thing about building another Stampede out of what was left is that when added up, I still needed a transmitter/receiver, diffs, motor/esc and then start the upgrade process all over to work with lipos, which I would need extras of too. While maybe a little cheaper to rebuild, the gap closed up to the point where just buying another Stampede was the way to go...and I have a ton of spare parts!

I didn't know how much I missed it until I got the new one. It is much more fun in my backyard. Even though it is pretty big, it's not big enough to do much with the Slash. Another good point is, I now know what to buy for upgrades from experience and am upgrading the drivetrain right off. Axles, diffs and suspension parts...so fun! I get to do it all over again!!

Yesterday, I ran with my nephew at our spot. We raced Slashes for bit then busted out the Stampedes for some great bashing. I broke the right rear axle on the Stampede but should have the Teknos by Wednsday. Also, I have 5 lipos now for some great run time. We had a blast! Summer has finally arrived in Oregon!!

RC Qualifier
    For me wheelies won't be missed. My Xmaxx and my Slash with a 2650kv motor handle that job just fine. On 2s the Slash is about the same speed as the Stampede. Like you it would be nice to have multiple trucks to have different setups so you don't have to constantly swap parts.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT