RC Enthusiast

So how do I get it to shutoff when I need to land rapidly?

Sometimes it gets really low on power, or something else happens such as can't land where I took off. I start to bring it down slowly, setting it down or perhaps catching its leg and send the throttle to zero. In 75% of cases the aton shuts off, but otherwise it starts panicking and powers to full in an attempt to 'return home'.

How do I stop it? Even holding the brake does nothing.

What is the 'actual' way to shut it off (esp if I catch the legs in my hand) ? Seems kind of simple but I've had problems despite having this for months.

RC Qualifier
    The same button you push for a few seconds to start it... Push for a few seconds to shut it off.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    The same button you push for a few seconds to start it... Push for a few seconds to shut it off.
    If I hold the left button it powers the drone off? Even if it is flying or in 'return home' mode?

RC Qualifier
    Mine went into RTH just as it landed tonight , I put my foot on the roll hoop and held the left button ( arm/disarm button) for about 5 seconds and it shut down .

RC Racer
    I guess the question remains is, why would it act up this way in the first place once it detects low power and seems to panic and want to go into self destruct mode for some reason?? Having to hit the kill switch shouldn't have to be the answer to solving the real the problem would it?? I had thought on buying one but looks like I better hold off until a real solution is found. I'll pass the word along also. Thanks! Scott
    Sent from my AT&T flip phone using poke-and-squint

RC Qualifier
    it's actually trying to save its self by RTH before the battery is totally dead, user input is more the problem ... but then again stay with your flip phone and all will be well .

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    I guess the question remains is, why would it act up this way in the first place once it detects low power and seems to panic and want to go into self destruct mode for some reason?? Having to hit the kill switch shouldn't have to be the answer to solving the real the problem would it?? I had thought on buying one but looks like I better hold off until a real solution is found. I'll pass the word along also. Thanks! Scott
    Well dont rush on your conclusion, the aton is an AWESOME drone, esp for the price. This is an emergency feature that sometimes is problematic if you try to land somewhere else. The drone is good overall, just weird things occsionally happen, and this is one of them.

^ To the others above, if the drone was flying normally and i hold the takeoff button for 5 secs would that straight kill it regardless of what happens?

RC Racer
    I have flown many airpanes that lose power but retain steering to float back down to you. Too bad the drone cannot do this and I understand why. Isn't there some type of audible warning beeps from the transmitter warning of low drone battery, like airplanes have? There should be and I believe that would solve a lot of problems if pilots have ample warning. There must be some sort of warning and maybe it is pilot misjudgment...........
    Sent from my AT&T flip phone using poke-and-squint

RC Qualifier
    i have never flown mine to a low enough voltage to know for sure if the controller beeps at you when the battery is low? i stick pretty much to 10 minutes on my flights. i do know that as stated above, the Aton has a fail safe which returns it to home once a certain voltage threshold is reached, and it does give a signal that RTH has been initiated. i dont know if it is different when low battery initiates RTH, but in other cases like out of the geo fence or altitude boundries, or when you initiate RTH yourself... you only have to push the air brakes and hold it in to interrupt it. from there you can switch flight modes and land yourself, but this may be different when it occurs due to low battery?

never tested trying to cut the power in flight either, so thanks hemidoo for verifying that... not something i want to find out in the air by accident, lol.

for those on the fence about whether or not to get one, you really cant go wrong. the price, size, flight time, durability, product support from Traxxas, features... there really are no downsides to this quad unless your sole purpose is filming where you need more than a two axis gimble. i was very skeptical at first as well. i sport fly, night fly, and i fly hard. i really wasnt sure if this one would fit the bill and be affordable to maintain? it definitely fits the bill for my purposes and my little 200QX now sits as a mantle piece, lol.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    There is a chime from the tranmitter to warn when the battery gets low( 3.75-3.80 per cell) ... 60-90ish seconds before RTH kicks in. I don't normally run one down that low but it happens

RC Qualifier
    The arm/disarm button only will operate with the throttle setting of 2 or less on mine ... hold it down all you want while flying with the throttle above 3 does nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    The arm/disarm button only will operate with the throttle setting of 2 or less on mine ... hold it down all you want while flying with the throttle above 3 does nothing.

This might be the secret here. So you need throttle at bottom BEFORE the disarm works?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlayerG View Post
    This might be the secret here. So you need throttle at bottom BEFORE the disarm works?
    Yup, anything above 3 on the throttle % it wouldn't disarm.

RC Qualifier

So how do I get it to shutoff when I need to land rapidly?

I fly all my batteries until I get the low battery alarm from the controller. That's when I land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Racer
    In an effort to prevent LiPo damage and premature battery failure, I like many others, attempt to RTH prior to the low battery warning... although, hindsight being 20/20, this hasn't seemed to prevent my packs from degrading any better or worse... Not sure how to "kill" the Aton quickly in flight other than what hemidoo as already mentioned... And, I guess I'm missing the point of wanting to do so in the first place?... no intent of being rude or snide, just trying to understand "why"...

RC Qualifier
    I think there was mention of catching it with your hand. That would be a good time to kill it. I have done that once out of necessity. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!