RC Competitor

Gearing question for 2.8 tires.

So I recently did the 2.8 tire swap on my 4x4 Slash and my daughters 2x4 slash. Both have the velenion system. Her 2wd runs on 2s and has done great with it. I run the 4x4 on 3s and managed to get about 15 minutes out of it before the motor blew. In all honesty the motor was pretty old and had been "road hard and put up wet" so to say. I have since bought another velenion vxl 3s to replace the burnt motor. But I would like this one to last a bit longer. The 4x4 was geared up to begin with and I know I should have geared it down, especially with the bigger tires. And that is what my question is. What should I gear it at to keep the heat down? What about a fan and heatsinc? The guy at my lhs said the vxl-3s will be fine on 3s and no other modifications will be needed. What do you guys think?

It'll get hot on 3s, especially if you live in a warmer climate. get the fan and heatsink, and gear down to 11-13. what are you running now??

as i'm sure you know with the vxl-3s you have to watch for heat with 2.2 tires which will be magnified significantly with 2.8's. while i haven't ran my velineon system for a long time i would probably keep my pinion no bigger than 15t and probably more like 13t. regardless of what you choose you have to be very careful and check temps often.
    heatsinks and fans are great but they're not going to save you for long running that motor/esc system on 3s.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

Depends on what tires you are running on your 2.8 wheels...
    More info please!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    I had to go down to an 11t with 2.8 trenchers mounted on 3.2 wheels while running 2s on the stock vxl motor. I might be able to go up to a 12t.

I was originally running a 13t, but my motor temps were at 180 and my ecu was at 160 on a 50 degree day.

Now running the 11t they are down around 140 on the motor and below 120 on the ecu after 25 min on a 5200mah 2c pack.

RC Competitor
    They are the sportraxx talons from traxxas.

RC Competitor
    Ok. Should I just bypass the Velenion system all together and go a different route motor wise?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zypher View Post
    It'll get hot on 3s, especially if you live in a warmer climate. get the fan and heatsink, and gear down to 11-13. what are you running now??
    I was running a 15t pinion and stock spur.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerman806 View Post
    Ok. Should I just bypass the Velenion system all together and go a different route motor wise?
    Most of us running/bashing on 3s w/big tires have done this. IMO(many will argue) the Velenion is a fine motor system but I think it runs best on 2s and with SC tires/wheels. I put mine in a Rustler and geared it up to 18/54. I run it on 2s and I can beat pack after pack through it without issue. I stick my 3s pack in it and it hits thermal before the pack is done. Sure I could gear it down for 3s but then it's not a ton faster than the 2s geared up.
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 04-21-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Most of us running/bashing on 3s w/big tires have done this.
    Sounds good. Does anyone have any suggestions that they have used and liked?