RC Competitor

After 25 years removed from RC, I'm Back!!

After 25 years of not being around RC I'm happy to say that I am back! Much has changed in electric car and buggy stuff and I'm looking forward to being back "into" it.

Only thing missing is the Icharger 306b and it'll be here Monday. Got that from Progressive RC and with them in Washington and me in Florida, shipping takes a good week

The biggest challenge for me will be learning about brushless/lipo stuff and how to deal with it. I'm still used to matching cells with a Turbo 30 and cutting comms of brushed motors lol so that should tell you how long removed I've been. Thanks for the help so far....looking forward to more

Another Old Guy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhorse7 View Post
    After 25 years of not being around RC I'm happy to say that I am back! Much has changed in electric car and buggy stuff and I'm looking forward to being back "into" it.

Only thing missing is the Icharger 306b and it'll be here Monday. Got that from Progressive RC and with them in Washington and me in Florida, shipping takes a good week

The biggest challenge for me will be learning about brushless/lipo stuff and how to deal with it. I'm still used to matching cells with a Turbo 30 and cutting comms of brushed motors lol so that should tell you how long removed I've been. Thanks for the help so far....looking forward to more

Another Old Guy
    Welcome to the Forum and BACK to the hobby.
    Its right about 1 year since I got back into the hobby after over 25 years off. I jumped back in with a brushed RTR 2wd slash. What you have there already looks leaps beyond what I started back with. You will pick up the lipo and brushless motor stuff quickly. Especially with as helpful and knowledgeable as people tend to be on this forum.
    Coming from someone else who remembers matching NiCad cells, you are gonna love brushless/lipo power.

Welcome aboard the Slash 4x4 forum! That Platinum is a fine start back to the addiction, I mean hobby. Great truck! Plenty of knowledgeable,friendly, helpful enablers here.....ask away!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    I have not been away that long...but the 15-17 years I have been I am with you... It's wayyyy different to say the least...I am on NiMH pack in my cars still but will be going LIPO soon enough.

Welcome to the site, Lots of good info and help here. I have viewed and read on here for about a month and a half now and just joined up myself.

Welcome back, your far from the first one to make a long overdue comeback.
    I've been back at it for about five years now after stopping to raise a family and start a small business.
    When left I thought the new just introduced super awesome NiMh batters rather then NiCad were the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Looks like I see a couple HP power supplys as well, nice setup. Looks like your going at it the right way; buying the best first rather then learn the hard way as I did before I found the forums to help me along.
    I owe a lot to some of the older and newer members; still learn something new everyday.
    Best of luck to you, I know I'm not the only one waiting to see some of your first up and running posts.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Looks like a nice kit, you're going to have a blast! What charger did you get?

I went the other way. Started with a Stampede 4x4 a few years ago and then bought a Tamiya Hornet last summer and was like "what the heck is this? This thing sucks!".
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Welcome back to the addiction---hobby! I meant to say hobby. Yeah, it's a hobby . . . right?
    Obstacle Magnet

My first hobby class RCs were the early 80s... Tamiya Porsche 956 RM Mk.5 and later a Tamiya Sand Scorcher then a Tamiya Vanessa's Lunchbox. All were the old school kits. No such thing as these RTRs! Because I'm old school, the day I got my eBay Platinum, I took it completely apart just to familiarize myself with my new "toy."

Welcome to the Traxxas forum family and back to the hobby... It's a whole new world!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Welcome back to the addiction!
    "Gone racing"

Nice selection! That is almost exactly what I have!
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

Another Old Guy
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

There are a great many people here that are more than willing to help You! I look forward to seeing you shine here
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Another Old Guy
    Welcome Yellowhorse,

That is a nice group of parts you have there. I believe you have chosen very wisely! I really like the Platinum Edition and the GensAce lipos are awesome! You definitely will NOT be disappointed! Please post some pics once you have her together.

-Shack

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the warm welcome fellas! The charger, ICharger306b, will be here tomorrow. I did manage to get the body painted on Friday. Doesn't look so bad....

I bought a Tmaxx when they first came out and remember thinking wth.....why is it built??!! That was a big deal as I was used to building EVERYTHING! And to a point I still prefer to build everything as in the long run I believe it saves time. Checking clearances, looking at weight saving areas, combining the best parts for YOUR particular use, etc. But I was always full blown racing and not much of a basher. Seems that the hobby is leaning more towards bashing, at least with these trucks.

I will put a few packs through it then tear it down to check things over. Then the mods will come. I already plan on changing the shock oil to 50wt and will end up with VG or Losi springs. Probably end up with a Castle ESC and Motor combo but I want to play with gearing first with the stock setup. I'm not really into top speed as much as I am into handling and consistency so who knows if I'll even try a 3s pack. Truthfully, I'm looking into a local SCT class and will probably end up racing as opposed to beating around. Who knows lol.

I love my Castle Mamba / 2650kv system on 3S in my Sl4sh.
    Obstacle Magnet

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas! The charger, ICharger306b, will be here tomorrow. I did manage to get the body painted on Friday. Doesn't look so bad....

I bought a Tmaxx when they first came out and remember thinking wth.....why is it built??!! That was a big deal as I was used to building EVERYTHING! And to a point I still prefer to build everything as in the long run I believe it saves time. Checking clearances, looking at weight saving areas, combining the best parts for YOUR particular use, etc. But I was always full blown racing and not much of a basher. Seems that the hobby is leaning more towards bashing, at least with these trucks.

I will put a few packs through it then tear it down to check things over. Then the mods will come. I already plan on changing the shock oil to 50wt and will end up with VG or Losi springs. Probably end up with a Castle ESC and Motor combo but I want to play with gearing first with the stock setup. I'm not really into top speed as much as I am into handling and consistency so who knows if I'll even try a 3s pack. Truthfully, I'm looking into a local SCT class and will probably end up racing as opposed to beating around. Who knows lol.
    Looking pretty good there! I agree 100% on building your own. These things aren't hard to work on but if you had to build it from a kit or something, most people would have a better understanding of how things work and what is good for their ride. Anyway, the stock setup is a blast! I am a power nut and quickly moved on to one of my favorites... a Castle MMX & Sensored 2650KV. If you like consistency, I think this package fits the Slash Platinum perfect with lots of power at your fingertips! If you're looking to race though, not sure that it's "legal".

Have fun!

-Shack

Stock electronics aren't going to hold you back, tires, servo and the steering rack will.

RC Racer
    I started with a rustler and it kicked me into the addiction,welcome back
    Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Stock electronics aren't going to hold you back, tires, servo and the steering rack will.
    Those will be dealt with in due time for sure. Any servo recommendations? Steering rack or factory geometry is the issue?

I like the Savox 1258tg. Plastic built-in servo saver is too soft, and won't hold the tires in corners at speed, the STRC steering rack is nice.

RC Competitor

More Stuff. Icharger 306B. Progressive was great and threw in a balance board and cable for JST-XH and TP batteries. I won't need it though as the charger has the JST-XH balance input built in. Also picked up their Para Board with the ability to charger 4 packs at once. More to come.....

Nice!

RC Competitor

Just in case....

Just in case....
    Sweet! Definitely a massive upgrade.

RC Competitor
    Well.....today was the maiden voyage and all went well! I upgraded to the STRC bellcrank (used stock upper half since I didn't like metal to metal) and to the Savox 1258 servo.

Balance charger my first pack with the Icharger and I was ready to setup everything. Had to disable the AVC on the Spektrum as it didn't like the servo, even with a glitch buster installed. Trimmed out everything, locked out reverse and away we went.

I live on about 5 acres of land and have a section of loomy, sandy hard area that I ran it in. STock springs with 30wt, collars cranked halfway down and I must say that it ran great! A bit of over-steer but I'm going to mess with the sway bars (stock black) to see how that helps

. Awesome! If you can find the right tires for your land, you'll have even more fun!

Well.....today was the maiden voyage and all went well! I upgraded to the STRC bellcrank (used stock upper half since I didn't like metal to metal) and to the Savox 1258 servo.

Balance charger my first pack with the Icharger and I was ready to setup everything. Had to disable the AVC on the Spektrum as it didn't like the servo, even with a glitch buster installed. Trimmed out everything, locked out reverse and away we went.

I live on about 5 acres of land and have a section of loomy, sandy hard area that I ran it in. STock springs with 30wt, collars cranked halfway down and I must say that it ran great! A bit of over-steer but I'm going to mess with the sway bars (stock black) to see how that helps
    I'm glad that you are happy with the truck! That is the main reason for having it. The more you drive it the more you will get to know it. Congratulations
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Lol. Funny story. Yesterday I figured I'd parallel charge 4 packs using my fancy Icharger. It would allow me some run time playing with sway bars and ride height settings. Those plans changed when that darn oak tree got in the way.

3 sets of RPM A arms will be arriving tomorrow......

For trees, they can be pretty darn quick!

...darn oak tree got in the way.
    I hate trees that hate RCs.

Could you please PM me about your Icharger? I have the 106B+ and would be interested in your experience. Thanks.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    Welcome back YellowHorse. Remember, any problems, come here.. What was your addiction 25 years ago? mine was the RC10

RC Competitor
    Started with a Tamiya Frog!. Then on to MANY RC10's. Moved into 12/10th scale oval with MANY RC10L's and 12L's. Was pretty competitive but ended up moving on to real cars as I'm an avid drag racer (still am). Dabbled in nitro but it was too "involved" and ended up quitting. Love this Slash so far.