Thread: Upgraded motor.

Question Upgraded motor.

I'm looking to upgrade my stock Titan and XL-5 and I'm looking at the VXL.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3350R

But I looked around more and now I wonder if I can get this

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/esc/3378mxl6s

Can I get the MXL?
    When I ain't at school I'm racing my Slash

RC Racer
    MXL is overkill for the 2wd Slash. The VXL3s system is perfect.

Get the sct from castle. Cheaper and a little more power. So far so good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of people like the castle system, myself included. But if you want the reliability and ease of use features, there is no compromise for the velineon. The castle is great, but especially with big tires and a heavy truck to push, it will run warm on 3s. The VXL system was made for vehicles like the slash and it will work out great for you.
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeSwag13 View Post
    Lots of people like the castle system, myself included. But if you want the reliability and ease of use features, there is no compromise for the velineon. The castle is great, but especially with big tires and a heavy truck to push, it will run warm on 3s. The VXL system was made for vehicles like the slash and it will work out great for you.
    So can a castle brushless motor work on a VXL esc 2wd slash?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sure. Why would it not. Just pay attention to the amp ratings of the motors you're looking at. Verify the ESC can supply them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Sure. Why would it not. Just pay attention to the amp ratings of the motors you're looking at. Verify the ESC can supply them.
    It should work, but the motor itself is around $85, and the entire SCT 3800 system is around $100. It would be more than worth the 15 bones to get the Castle ESC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    It should work, but the motor itself is around $85, and the entire SCT 3800 system is around $100. It would be more than worth the 15 bones to get the Castle ESC.
    Does the SCT put up with 3S? Or is it limited to 2S. I agree just changing the motor, when you could buy a matching pair doesn't make a lot of sense. I just thought the question was, is it possible

RC Racer
    Yes, the castle sidewinder sct is very nice, i have it in my rustler and it works amazing. I did have to solder on traxxas plugs, but if you know how to solder, that is no big deal
    Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Racer
    I wanted the castle sidewinder 3800kv but was on backorder so i bought the velineon and was more then happy with the power but after 1 week of running the system my slash started making a horrible screeching sound. I had just rebuild the trans and thought maybe it was just a bad bearing . I removed the spur gear and ran it and the noise was coming from the motor, so after taking it apart i was surprised with the amount of dirt inside and i found a seized bearing. So far i am not happy with the reliability of the velineon system. I will be calling traxxas on monday to see what they will do but either way i might just switch to the castle system