RC Enthusiast

New M41 owner needing advice. Please help :)

Hello everyone.

Im not new to rc or boating but need some advice from someone who has owned a m41 for a little bit.

I owned the Traxxas spartan and in order to run properly it needed a dual rudder and water jacket .

Does the m41 need a dual rudder or will I be fine if I just buy the aluminum water jacket?

Im just wondering if the metal water jacket is enough to keep it running with no leaks on 6s and stay cool

I know the rubber motor cooler leaks so thats already a given on replacement.

I read somewhere where someone said "you think they would of addressed these issues from the spartan" my opinnion is they are meant to run 4s even tho they advertise 6s.

I can run a stock spartan on 4s with no heat or leaks and as soon as I go to 6s its over with. I dont see how the engineers get these to run perfect and the put on market when all we have is issues.

Makes me wonder if were foing something wrong.

Anyway, please help. Will i be fine with just a metal jacket and stock rudder? Has anyone had overheating peoblens or blown up esc and motors using stock eqipment

RC Competitor
    I just got a m41 a few weeks ago. I only ran it twice in one day. My first run was on 4s. Had 2 gens ace 2s 5000mah 50c. The boat wasnt terribly slow but wasnt that fast. It was about the speed on my feilun ft011 on a single 4s. After the first run, the batteries were a little warm. The wires from battery to esc were kinda hot but not too bad. The esc was pretty cool to the touch but id say it was as warm as it was from the enclosed cabin and the heat from everything else inside. The motor was a little hot but could touch it for 10secs or longer.

2nd run my friend let me try his traxxas 3s 5000mah 25c batteries to see the difference between 4s and 6s. After the second run the batteries were cool, the wires were cool, the esc was cool and the motor was so hot couldnt touch for more than 3 to 5 seconds.

In my opinion. The single pickup rudder sucks, you do have to go a certain speed (maybe 40% throttle) to get any kind of water to out the side.
    Also think the stock water jacket sucks. I was going to try running the cooling tubes to the motor first then to the esc but bad weather came our way.

I bought a new aluminum water jacket with fins to act as a heat sink. Also i bought an aquacraft transom water pickup from offshore electronics, not going to mount on the transom but will mount it to the piece the rudder is attached to so it will be an inch or so in front of the rudder. I have this kind of pick up on my feilun and the water exiting the boat is a night and day difference. Once those come in ill post my results. The single rudder pickup i think is fine just for cooling the esc. Like i said it never got hot. Barely even got warm. The aquacraft pickup is going straight to the motor and out thw boat.

Btw, 6s is totally worth it. The thing flies. These were traxxas 25c. Ive seen people use 2x gens ace 5kmah 50c and goes even faster

*Traxxas has a strict language policy, refrain from using such language.*
    Last edited by Double G; 05-02-2017 at 08:14 AM.

RC Competitor
    You may also be fine with dual pick up rudder. I think the motor doesnt get cool with stock setup because the cooling is feeding the esc first. But with single lines going to each one it may be fine

I dont like the fact that u have to turn right to suck up a good bit of water and even then not alot exits the boat out the side, reason why i chose the water pickup i did.
    Last edited by BburlTM41; 05-01-2017 at 07:51 PM.

RC Racer
    I don't have dual rudder. I just bored out the holes some on the rudder, and put an aluminum jacket on my motor. I have had it a few times where I took the hatch off and the esc and motor were on fire. But that was because I was pushing the boat full throttle the entire time. You have to have some throttle control or else these boats get crazy hot to the point I had the motor smoking. Not good. But since then, I've been able to do throttle control better and I keep my temps down by doing that.

But of course more rudders and water, you can run more cool water, but I really did not feel like drilling holes and modifying my 450 dollar boat that much. I'm too chicken I guess to do it to the boat. If I run it this summer and it starts to get too hot all the time, maybe I'll see about adding dual ports to get more water flow.

If your boat isn't getting super hot or over heating, then I wouldn't bother adding a bunch of stuff. This is my first boat and I got it last summer. I've run my boat 3x so far this year and I haven't had heating, but it's still cold and the water is cold so that helps with temps too.

RC Competitor
    Those water pickups i mentioned came in and the tubes were real small in diameter. Ended up throwing them away and using my pickup from my feilun ft011. So i have that mounted just before the rudder and that pickup go straight to the motor with an upgraded water jacket. My rudder pickup kust goes to the esc. Ran it today on 6s full speed the whole time, pulled the boat and everything was cool. The motor was cool to the touch. The rudder pickup works great for just the esc, flow out the side is alot better just running to the esc and out the boat.

RC Enthusiast
    Update.

I put on just the water jacket and have srovw it about 6 times. It works well. It keeps it cool, no leaks, I see water constantly coming out the outlet so all in all with what I experiences you can get away with just a metal water jacket.

Still thinking about a dual rudder to he extra safe but its definitely workable the way it is.

RC Competitor
    Can always drill the hole in the single rudder slightly bigger