Thread: Best shocks

RC Racer

Best shocks

Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing some new shocks for my traxxas slash, I looked into big bore and have heard mixed reviews, is there any suggestions or ideas for shocks that I should get, what's the best.
    Thanks

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
    Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Pro-Line Powerstrokes are a great shock, they are all aluminum bodied completely rebuildable and easily adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    + 1 on the powerstrokes. They have been a great shock. Guess it also depends on what your doing too.

RC Competitor
    Im Happy with my Traxxas GTR's. Have heard good thinks about the powerstrokes as well.

Before you buy new shocks, how much tuning have you done with the stock shocks?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Mixed reviews on big bores ? I love mine. Powerstrokes are ridiculously expensive in the UK. I wouldn't buy them on principle !
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC Racer
    I know the stock shock like the back of my hand since I have rebuilt it so many times

Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Racer
    How much are power strokes

Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Racer
    Oh wow, those are expensive

Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Racer

Best shocks

If you have the money then power strokes if not GTR's.

I looked a lot in to this.

I settled on GTR's with variable dampening kit and VG racing springs.
    45/40 wt oil.

One rear set of powerstrokes = 4 GTR, oil, dampening kit and springs if you shop around.

Sent from the bathroom using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MrEddieBear; 04-25-2017 at 12:26 PM.

RC Racer
    Thank-you

Slash Vxl
    Vintage Rustler

RC Qualifier
    GTR's here too

RC Racer
    Big bores are awesome, you might have to play with different weight oils but im digging mine. It also helps to replace your front and rear shock towers with rpm's. They are more sturdy and help keep the shocks operating smoothly. I was surprised with how much the stock ones flex

RC Qualifier
    This may sound silly, because I'm a novice and don't know anything. However, I upgraded to ProLine PowerStroke shocks and really can't tell the difference between them and the stock shocks, other than they look much cooler. Looking back, the whole Slash was fine stock but customizing is part of the fun.

RC Racer
    55Chevy , if you have a track try running stock shocks and then with your pro lines, you will be amazed. If you just cruise it up and down the street and around the yard you may not notice much difference.

I had the big bores when I bought my Slash used. I personally don't like using clips for preload so I sold them and went with the GTR. Were the big bores a bad shock? By no means and for the price it is a great step up from the stock ones. If the big bores had the adjustable preload like the GTR I would stay with them.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slash2018 View Post
    55Chevy , if you have a track try running stock shocks and then with your pro lines, you will be amazed. If you just cruise it up and down the street and around the yard you may not notice much difference.
    This is probably why. I only drive it in the backyard on flat clay/sand with short weeds and one dirt jump.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyStevens View Post
    Im Happy with my Traxxas GTR's. Have heard good thinks about the powerstrokes as well.
    +1 on the gtrs. I have had big bores too, but if you want to get new shocks look no further.
    Last edited by StampedeSwag13; 04-26-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC Competitor
    Love the GTR's - especially with the VDK!!

RC Racer
    Let us know what you decide on shocks. I had troubles with my truck nose diving into turns etc., and rolling way too easily and I found that the shocks had air bubbles and would extend at all once compressed! Handling was just terrible! I removed the shocks. I pulled the caps off and worked out the air bubbles and they fully extended, reassembled the caps very tight, and I'm glad I didn't put them back on my truck because the next morning I went back out to the shop and compressed them again and they stayed compressed!! NEVER AGAIN! I dislike stock shocks more and more!! The GTR's look really nice but can they perform? Anyone with experience on handling with these shocks? There's no limit to what I will spend for a trustworthy set of shocks that actually work!!
    Sent from my AT&T flip phone using poke-and-squint

Can they perform?? Take a look at what Traxxas models are equipped with GTRs as stock shocks and you'll see.

As for your stock shocks, with no spring of course they will stay compressed. If they were still compressed with a spring on it then you'll need to get a stronger spring. Tuning a shock properly requires the right spring with the right fluid; then add in variable pistons and preload and you've got more to adjust.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    Let us know what you decide on shocks. I had troubles with my truck nose diving into turns etc., and rolling way too easily and I found that the shocks had air bubbles and would extend at all once compressed! Handling was just terrible! I removed the shocks. I pulled the caps off and worked out the air bubbles and they fully extended, reassembled the caps very tight, and I'm glad I didn't put them back on my truck because the next morning I went back out to the shop and compressed them again and they stayed compressed!! NEVER AGAIN! I dislike stock shocks more and more!! The GTR's look really nice but can they perform? Anyone with experience on handling with these shocks? There's no limit to what I will spend for a trustworthy set of shocks that actually work!!
    When I took my GTR shocks apart to put the VDK, they had about 25% rebound - this after a year of use. Once I put in the kit, I was able to get full rebound out of all 4 shocks. You just have to make sure, when putting the cap on, to fully extend the piston, completely top off with fluid, and cover the little vent hole on the caps when you are screwing it on. This minimized any fluid loss and gives you full rebound. Note - this is full rebound with NO springs. The springs will help increase the speed of your rebound but shouldn't be the only thing that makes your shocks rebound.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Can they perform?? Take a look at what Traxxas models are equipped with GTRs as stock shocks and you'll see.

As for your stock shocks, with no spring of course they will stay compressed. If they were still compressed with a spring on it then you'll need to get a stronger spring. Tuning a shock properly requires the right spring with the right fluid; then add in variable pistons and preload and you've got more to adjust.
    What YOU are telling me and what I have seen in many many YouTube vidos are two different things. I have watched many YouTube videos produced by store owners showing the care and maintenance of RC shocks and what oil weights to use, although many prefer 90w in their trucks and this may be a good thing. Their videos show the arms extening back out just as fast as they can release them. Are their different types of shocks? They look just like the ones I'm using. If you want to call me out on this, I can bring forth the videos.......... BTW, I still hear the slurpy air leak as I work the extention arms and maybe the oil weight is too thin also. First I must find why air is being allowed in and then fill with the proper weight oil. Maybe the bladders are bad. Maybe it's the lower end that I have not disassembled yet, I don't know but I do know these shocks have troubles. Let me just sat, if I took a 1/16" dril bit and drilled even one hole in the shock body and dumped all the oil and placed the spring back on them and ran them.......That is how they are performing..Like pogo sticks......
    Sent from my AT&T flip phone using poke-and-squint

Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    What YOU are telling me and what I have seen in many many YouTube vidos are two different things. I have watched many YouTube videos produced by store owners showing the care and maintenance of RC shocks and what oil weights to use, although many prefer 90w in their trucks and this may be a good thing. Their videos show the arms extening back out just as fast as they can release them. Are their different types of shocks? They look just like the ones I'm using. If you want to call me out on this, I can bring forth the videos.......... BTW, I still hear the slurpy air leak as I work the extention arms and maybe the oil weight is too thin also. First I must find why air is being allowed in and then fill with the proper weight oil. Maybe the bladders are bad. Maybe it's the lower end that I have not disassembled yet, I don't know but I do know these shocks have troubles. Let me just sat, if I took a 1/16" dril bit and drilled even one hole in the shock body and dumped all the oil and placed the spring back on them and ran them.......That is how they are performing..Like pogo sticks......
    If your lower seals are good, and you burped them properly, then the most likely source of your leaks is over-tightening the shock cap (it pinches the seal). A little air is not bad, but too much will emulsify the shock oil, changing the effective weight of the oil.

You are the only one I know of that talks about 90wt in their shocks, most of us run 30-50wt, and a smaller number up to 60wt. I have only really seen 90wt used in crawlers and scalers, where you want slow shock performance to carry a tire over a crevasse, or slow down chassis roll when you are off-camber.

If your shocks are holding up your truck without springs they are over-filled. There should be a little bit of spring-back in your shocks when they are properly filled, but they should not go to full extension by themselves.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

You are the only one I know of that talks about 90wt in their shocks....
    and motor oil.......LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You're in the 75-100 dollar range with your parts and pieces though. Bet the finished product is nice though.

I ordered these same parts, except in STRC "green", last year, for my Slash 2WD. I haven't used them yet, but I'll include a quote about this setup from a guy on the URC forum, who goes by Fyrstormer.

As with my other Traxxas vehicles, the shocks use the stock internals with factory-upgrade TiN-coated shafts, and the bodies are aluminum made by STRC. I can't emphasize enough just how much better the stock shocks work with the STRC aluminum bodies; they're smooth like butter now, and have been on every vehicle I've installed them on.

RC poster
    I've put proline o to my 4x4 snd now in putting them on my 2wd slash as well.
    Best shocks and easy to ajust

RC Champion
    Proline shocks 7mm inner diameter
    Associated sc4x4 shocks 12mm inner diameter
    fabricator

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Proline shocks 7mm inner diameter
    Associated sc4x4 shocks 12mm inner diameter
    Associated factory team SC6.1 shock set with green and white springs
    fabricator

RC Racer
    ...they have been on every vehicle I've installed them on.
    Sorry. I just love this sentence.