Thread: Can it drift?

RC Enthusiast

Can it drift?

I am plAning on buying the GT when I comes out. As this is gonna be my first on-road and only owning a slash 2wd before this, I wasn't sure if it would be possible to use this as a drift style car. I know has 4 we which would help. But other than that I don't know what else it would need or if it is possible to do that in this car. If you have any ideas or know what would be needed to get or if it is even possible please post it. Thanks.

1/10, 4wd... yes. To some extent it can. You might want to add drift specific tires for better results though
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

From what I have seen, it can drift a little bit with the tires it has, but drift-specific tires would likely help it out a lot.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    i saw a video where the guy mentions some steering adjustment to make it drift better.

heres a vid of it driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_J5Pd1mWCI
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

A brushless motor would help too.
    "Gone racing"

Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    A brushless motor would help too.
    We'll see. My plan is to run the stock system and see what it can do. After that I'll throw in the VXL I have sitting on the shelf, or get a CC 3800 system.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    We'll see. My plan is to run the stock system and see what it can do. After that I'll throw in the VXL I have sitting on the shelf, or get a CC 3800 system.
    Go big or go home and get a 2400 system lol. I to plan on using a repurposed vxl system in it. I'm sure eventually people really will put a 2400kv motor in it and drifting should not be a issue. I'm also considering once the tires wear out to glue a piece of pvc pipe on just the rear tires to help with drifting the back end around. Won't be very useful in racing or normal driving but should add fun to it from time to time
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks for the information. I mainly plan as using this as an on-road "basher". I will look into some drift tires and buy some once I get the car. Would it help if I got a drift gyro or a service with a bigger turning radius? Thanks for the information so far

RC Enthusiast
    Service - servo

I think it comes with a gyro... Isnt that what tsm is?
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes your right now that I think about it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by aef2002 View Post
    Ok thanks for the information. I mainly plan as using this as an on-road "basher". I will look into some drift tires and buy some once I get the car. Would it help if I got a drift gyro or a service with a bigger turning radius? Thanks for the information so far
    It comes with tsm so the gyros might fight each other. It can also get the fixed plastic tie rods ands and camber links to adjustable and drift spec tires would definitely help even with a 7700kv and two cells it still hooks pretty good with that power

RC poster
    You can turn tsm off by turning the right knob on the controller to zero.

RC Competitor
    I plan on picking up another one to use as a specific drifter. from what I understand all you need to do is mount the tie rod to the inner hole and trim off the little round nub off the steering arm stop. You'll also want top pick up 3 sets of turnbuckles to add some adjustability to the front and rear. Until Traxxas releases them you'll need a set @ 43mm for the tie rods, 45mm for the front uppers and 40mm for the rear uppers. As far as adjusting the ride height you'll need 4 set screws maybe m3 size ?

RC Racer
    Anyone know where is a good place to get drift tires?
    Xmaxx, Summit, Villain ex, Aton, Alias, 4 tec 2.0

RC Qualifier
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/110car.html

this place has a TON of drift tires. I have not tried them, but i did try their grip tires. the grip tires only lasted one battery before the tread wore off. but they are super cheap, and maybe drift tires would last longer.