RC Competitor

Traxxas 4s Lipo for the 8s X-Maxx, how are they holding up

For anyone running the Traxxas 4s lips with their 8s x-maxx, I have a few question for you:

How are they holding up?
    Are these now properly rated for the 8S truck?
    Any puffing issues?

Thanks!

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by welfareboy View Post
    For anyone running the Traxxas 4s lips with their 8s x-maxx, I have a few question for you:

How are they holding up?

1. Decently, they provide good power and run time. (I'm a light to moderate basher, I get 45mins+ per charge)

Are these now properly rated for the 8S truck?

2. I think they will work great for whatever (8s capable) ESC you toss into your maxx.

Any puffing issues?

3. yes sadly, both of my 4s traxxas lipos puffed. after letting them cool, they contracted all the way, and they didn't puff when I charged them. so I will run them out sometime this week and see if they puff up again. I only have maybe 15 charges thru them so far. (running in southern California, it gets hot in the sun quick, I wanna say its cuz I left them in the sun for 15 minutes, but not 100% sure)

If the batteries puff, they will not fit in the battery tray any more. thank goodness mine went flat, but will see how they look after I run them.

Thanks!
    hope this helps!
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info!

Shame on the puffing... I hope others can chime in on this to find out if its an isolated case...

I really don't run my X as much as most in here, but I haven't had issues with them puffing yet and they perform well. I just got some Kershaws and have SMC's on the way, but so far I don't see the need for spending the extra money.

I'm trying those other brands because I'm concerned that these may puff, because I have two sets of Traxxas 3S that did. They aren't badly puffed and they still perform well, but it was enough to make me think that the 4S ones might too. Planning to get out in the next couple of weeks to spend the day running them so we'll see.
    SnpOn Blk
    SnpOn Red X2
    V1 Max5/Leopard
    V2 X 2

RC Racer
    Mine have been working fine since the beginning of March. One of them even got shredded up some when I was in a hurry and forgot to lock it down. Fell out of the truck and dragged it for ten feet thru rocks. I can see the cells, but I've run two cycles thru them and no puffing, so I guess I'm gonna tape it up and consider it fine.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Hey Everyone, just looking for an update on the traxxas batteries...

I need to get some 4s packs but its been a pain to find a decent capacity in stock up here in Canada...

I did find one hobby shop that had the 8s traxxas kit in stock... just wanted an update on the packs to see how they held up vs wasting my money

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I've been using the Traxxas 4s LiPo's & Charger for about a month with no problems. Plenty of power and runtime. Truthfully, the 8s X-Maxx is an animal on steroids with these LiPo's.

RC poster
    Work well for me. No issuaes with the traxxas brand batteries. The connectors are trick and work well with bluetooth charger (ex-peak live). I use the traxxas link to monitor volts and temps while driving and works great.

RC Racer
    The nice thing is traxxas will warranty them for a year and after that I think you pay 50% for a new battery. I put a set of two 3s's threw warranty and it was no hassle at all.

RC poster
    I have 2 X-maxx 8's and only use traxxas 4's batteries with the traxxas live id chargers,
    I haven't had any issues to date.
    I fully charge my batteries before i use them and i ALWAYS put them in storage mode at the end of the day. I have never left my batteries fully charged or discharged when im not using them!

RC Competitor
    Thanks everyone for their input on the batteries.

I ended up ordering a set of them!!!

Hopefully they work well with the stock 8s power system and gearing without any puffing...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by welfareboy View Post
    Thanks everyone for their input on the batteries.

I ended up ordering a set of them!!!

Hopefully they work well with the stock 8s power system and gearing without any puffing...
    I found the price of the traxxas batteries unreal, plus I cant use the charger I already have...
    I can buy 4 batteries of a different brand for the same price of the batteries and charger....

I went with lectron pro 5200 mah 50C for 124.99

the Traxxas batteries are 189.99 at my LHS...

I believe the charger plus batteries when I last looked was 479.99 or something...

RC poster
    I keep reading and hearing about the 3s,4s,6s, and 8,s what is the difference and how do I look on the batteries and tell what I have?

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by scubashop View Post
    I keep reading and hearing about the 3s,4s,6s, and 8,s what is the difference and how do I look on the batteries and tell what I have?
    The "S" tells you how many cells. The more cells the more voltage. Here's some info about Lipo batteries from quick search on google:
    https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Why would run 4s on a 8s truck?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Why would run 4s on a 8s truck?
    2x4s=8s. That is how its build from the factory. One could run one 8s battery with a jumper plug, but there is not much benefit in that over two 4s batteries.

RC Racer
    At least 15 charges so far...
    Light bashing and cruising around town lol

No issues yet. I use the same brand lipo in 2s for my TRX-4.

Easily available at most canadian LHS. Pricey, but there's worse and so far I can't complain.

Originally I bought 2 4s HRB from Amazon but one of the 2 was dead after 3 charges. And since I won't put 2 different branded batteries at the same time, the HRB that's still good is now a paperweight.

Sometimes saving money doesn't actually save money

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk