Thread: Scalpel Body

RC Qualifier

Scalpel Body

So I was thinking of getting this body how I like the style, I'm not going all out Mamba Monster from Castle but this will be an onroad car. So my question is there anything I need to buy for this other than the bumper conversion kit? I thought somewhere extended arms were to be used. Also what about wheels and tires what will work so that nothing rubs but fills out the wheel well? I appreciate any info as ive searched and cant find anything.

Did you read the manufacturer's website for that body? It tells you what you need to do this (like the picture):

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/illuzi...speed-run-body

It says:

Making the conversion:

Converting the Slash 4x4 to the Scalpel speed-run vehicle requires body, bumper conversion and tires and wheels are highly recommended. The assembly is simple and takes only minutes to complete. First, remove stock bumper assembly and replace with the newly acquired speed-run accessories and foam bumper. Make small changes to suspension set-up to limit down and up travel per instructions. Detail, paint and trim Scalpel body. Prep, mount and glue JConcepts 2.8” G-Locs tires onto 2.8” Rulux wheels and secure to the vehicle. Locate, mark and ream the body mount locations and drop Scalpel body into place. Hit your favorite closed circuit for the wildest speed-runs imaginable.

• 0240 - Illuzion - Slash 4x4 - Scalpel Speed Run body
    • 2173 - Slash 4x4 - front bumper conversion kit
    • 3056-00 - G-Locs - yellow compound - (fits 2.8" wheel)
    • 3340B - Rulux - 2.8" E-Stampede - Rustler 2wd front and 4x4 F&R wheel

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/glocs-...-front-scalpel

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I was actually looking at that as soon as I came back to check this. I ended up searching on eBay and amazon for reviews and questions. For some reason I'd didnt even think to check the actual website it came from. That's embarrassing lol. Seeing how it's 2.8 will fit I got some 2.8 Proline Prime for the rear and I'm curious if I should get another set. I appreciate it.

The 2.8 Primes are larger then the 2.8 G-Locs.

2.8 Primes are 4.8" in diameter and 2.6" wide.
    2.8 G-Locs are 3.8" in diameter and 2" wide.

I don't know if they will fit or not...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    The 2.8 Primes are larger then the 2.8 G-Locs.

2.8 Primes are 4.8" in diameter and 2.6" wide.
    2.8 G-Locs are 3.8" in diameter and 2" wide.

I don't know if they will fit or not...
    4.8 diameter seems pretty big to tuck in under that body, just eyeballing it. But I don't know either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still don't know about the Primes, but Charger Man runs XO-1s and they fit:

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6330632

RC Qualifier
    Hmm I noticed they don't make them anymore or at least I can find them elsewhere. But they have 2.2s I wonder if could do bigs and littles. Its just the vxl so I'm going to go at least 70 average. Jaco foams were what worked for me on my rustler but it would be weird with this setup. Xo-1s were good for me but they were too heavy, added 2lbs. I'm still looking though I really appreciate your help guys I really do.

2.8 Primes are available at Tower (limited quantities left):

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGKXS&P=7

RC Qualifier
    Got some time to put the rear end back together. Waiting on the front bumper conversion. Tires are just sitting on there for looks and ideas right now. I'm so on the fence is replacing everything with rpm parts but I technically don't need anything as they aren't broken. I still gotta order the scalpel body though.

RC Qualifier
    I got the front bumper conversion done and assembled the rest of the front. Also got the Tekno drive shaft as well. I don't need them but Id like some new shocks. Waiting on the body and the new Taller battery mount. Any ideas on colors for the body and types of paint? I want a nice color so I can see it when its far down the road. I was wondering a nice purple would do. I also need wheels and tires. Oh well itll take time.

RC Qualifier
    Got the body in, going out to get some scissors and tape and check out some paint.

Nice! Keep us up-to-date on your build!

RC Qualifier
    Got the body cut out, tried the scoring method which worked ok but there was thin areas where the blade just shot right through which I didn't like. Its my first attempt and not all that happy about it but whatever practice makes perfect and I'm sure I wont care when I flip this stupid thing on its lid at 60. I still got to wash it and paint it. Id rather buy one that's precut lol.

RC Qualifier
    I got my Paint in today so will do more prep work on the body but I also got my MIP 17mm adapters in and my GRPs. Only problem is the GRPs the hex inside wont fit the adapters. Its like the inside of the plastic is too thick. My other splined adapters which I cant use they fit perfectly. So is it bad GRPs or is the 17mm adapters made wrong?

RC Qualifier
    My god finally got the wheels on worst experience ever but they are on and they look good. I can't wait to get it up and running

Glad you got them installed!

I disliked my MIP adapters because they were too tight. I have several sets of wheels and it was a pain to swap them. I was going to Dremel them down, but just got the Hot Racing adapters instead.

Any pics of the fitment of the body mounted with the wheels?

RC Qualifier
    Glad you got them installed!

I disliked my MIP adapters because they were too tight. I have several sets of wheels and it was a pain to swap them. I was going to Dremel them down, but just got the Hot Racing adapters instead.

Any pics of the fitment of the body mounted with the wheels?
    not yet but even just hovering over it is a "Wide" body so there is plenty of room on all sides. I'm painting now and doing a few more coats as it was getting late. I think I could've run the primes in the rear but not the front most likely. Then again I didn't want them to balloon either and ruin the paint job.

RC Qualifier
    So this thing is a pain and I'm never painting again lol. It's my first time but it's whatever I'm going to mess it up anyway. You can see the colors starting to pop but Its still drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Qualifier
    Gonna go see about some runs and see how the gear mesh is. Also got to tweak the steering so it's straight. Got the 23t pinion and waiting on the 50t spur. We'll see where that gets me.

Is that Spaz Stix paint?
    Looks great!

The wheels and tires look great! I don't typically like green, but that is nice paint!

You should lower the truck for on-road use so it's not rollover happy.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that's the Spaz Stix paint, it turned out better than I thought but still so many little mistakes. Id rather paint a precut body next time or just have one painted. The body is already low and its kind of "warped" as the front lip is angled higher than the other side. So its Green/Purple/Teal in the right light and then black in others. The green does look good though. Right now I'm trying to get the mesh correctly and I think theres little binding with the new Tekno driveshaft too but I cant be sure. 23/53 gearing in it right now and cogs uncontrollably and even with the throttle all the way down it just wants to spin and bind. I just have to spend some time on the gears and mesh.

Spaz Stix makes some great paint. That's the same paint I used on my Baja Bug, "Scarab":

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6096264

RC Qualifier
    I got another lipo bag and got the spur gear in. Now time to tweak it

RC Qualifier
    Spaz Stix makes some great paint. That's the same paint I used on my Baja Bug, "Scarab":

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6096264
    How have I not seen that. That is a awesome build.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

That chassis has gone through many transformations to get to where it is now. Just flip through the build thread to see them all!

RC Qualifier
    I been through that thread. It's where I got the idea for my Bajr build. Somehow I missed this one. Looks like I might have to steal I mean borrow another idea from you for my next slash build. Now that my last project is finished I'm ready for my next lol. How does that body do at high speed?
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

I think Ive taken that body up to almost 50MPH with no problems.

RC Qualifier
    The more I look at this body the more I'm appreciating it. I'm about to see if I can fix the steering

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadelvi View Post
    Gonna go see about some runs and see how the gear mesh is. Also got to tweak the steering so it's straight. Got the 23t pinion and waiting on the 50t spur. We'll see where that gets me.

That looks BA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    So I took her out today and the stupid pinion kept coming loose. It ran ok but I noticed in the one picture it's lopsided. What's the problem?

RC poster
    This thread has motivated me to convert my Slash 4x4 Lcg VXL TSM (2nd one) to a Scalpel 72 Chev C-10.

Went ahead and ordered the bumper and body today along with SpazStix Orange/Purple/Teal color change paint and Ultimate Chrome for the bumper and grill area of the body.

Rather than the 2.8 GLocs I've ordered 4 Traxxas 3776A Front Anaconda Tires on Black Chrome All Star Wheels

Once the parts all arrive I'll start a thread for the conversion... STAY TUNED

Thank you all for the motivation!!!

Can't wait to see it. I am slowly building a street-rig with that C10 body as well.

Not done with it yet, but I may change it up before I get to painting it. Why? I still hate fenders and seeing the rig completely covered makes me think that it will just get full of debris and catch too much air.

Too many ideas going through my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Dadelvi View Post
    So I took her out today and the stupid pinion kept coming loose. It ran ok but I noticed in the one picture it's lopsided. What's the problem?

Looking good man!

As for the body lean, are your shocks both installed in the same mounting locations (L & R) with the same pre-load? Could be that the body mount post is lower on that side also. Try pulling/bending the passenger-side front post up a little and re-check. When the body is off and you're looking at the rig from the front, can you notice the slant toward passenger side?

-Shack

RC poster
    Like I said. Had to do a scalpel.

Looks great... good job!

RC Racer
    I was able to fit one onto a 2wd 'Slashler'. I haven't had a dry day to run it since figuring out the front bumper foam, adding the GRP + Hex Adapters and Hot Racing Sway Bar kit.

It should be a whole new car versus this shortly after I had first lowered the ride height and limited the a-arm up travel.

First test fit of the body before I got the GRP/sways or figured out the bumper hack.

The bandito's filled the wheel wells better. I was surprised to see the GRP were smaller diameter when I got them. I sorta wish I hadn't cut the wheel well circles out at all as the fronts can turn w/o issue if I would have left it. I think it would be better for aero and reducing parachuting.

I am planning to use the same body for my slash 4wd ultimate that is getting rebuilt but I will be modding xo-1 splitter, wing, bumper, side skirts/extensions etc to keep as much air out of the body as possible like I saw a few others on this forum do.
    Last edited by fozzy71; 07-16-2019 at 08:12 PM.

RC poster

Scalpel body

I use the scalpel with the proline body mounts on my lcg slash 4x4. The primes fit and look great but they balloon at anything over 45-50mph. Put on a set of Jaco foams and no more ballooning and also fit even better. You can slam the body down on the foams with no worry of it ballooning up into it