Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

VXL-3s really that bad?

Is it worth going with a better motor for 3s and keep the vxl, or is it that awful for an ESC? I love the 3s power and speed on the stock 13 tooth setup, but man that motor gets hot. I haven't hit thermal yet, but today it was mid it's and the next few days were expecting 94 degrees. I want it to last as long as possible but if there's a weak link if like to know if its the esc or motor. Also have the 2.8 proline coming so I know ill be adding more heat!

Thanks as always.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

2.8s on 3s will cause ridiculous heat but it you gear down a couple of teeth on your pinion you might stretch it out a little longer. none the less, be aware that heat is going to ruin your fun to the point you replace that motor and possible esc eventually. an 1/8th scale setup is really what allows worry free bashing but with that also brings the need for a whole bunch of beefed up new parts.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo View Post
    2.8s on 3s will cause ridiculous heat but it you gear down a couple of teeth on your pinion you might stretch it out a little longer. none the less, be aware that heat is going to ruin your fun to the point you replace that motor and possible esc eventually. an 1/8th scale setup is really what allows worry free bashing but with that also brings the need for a whole bunch of beefed up new parts.
    Yeah that's the problem with this truck. In order to get a little more, you have to upgrade a lot. Don't get me wrong I'm punishing this thing and it takes it like a champ. Just disappointed that even the box says a 19/54 tooth 3s combo for max speed and ill bet it will only do it once.

It might help to find a lower KV motor. The lower Kv's might be a little slower, but I bet it will feel more at home on 3S. Also, you could get a Castle 2400kv or an El Sob Special (traxxas et-2400) and those both work with the stock vxl 4-pole esc if you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

RC Qualifier
    I have a spare xl-5 combo laying around and have been thinking about doping the power up program. I was wondering the same thing. Is the new 4pole vxl combo that bad? ( I say new because I have only used an old 2 pole vxl set up so far ). Been wondering if the $130 plus losing my "spare" brushed motor combo is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I have a spare xl-5 combo laying around and have been thinking about doping the power up program. I was wondering the same thing. Is the new 4pole vxl combo that bad? ( I say new because I have only used an old 2 pole vxl set up so far ). Been wondering if the $130 plus losing my "spare" brushed motor combo is worth it?
    IMHO no. You can easily find the VXL for sub 130 online....

This is Horizon's Listing: (not even ebay)
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/TRA3350...DhEaAgfg8P8HAQ

eBay:
    http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ve...elin&sqp=velin
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeSwag13 View Post
    IMHO no. You can easily find the VXL for sub 130 online....

This is Horizon's Listing: (not even ebay)
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/TRA3350...DhEaAgfg8P8HAQ

eBay:
    http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ve...elin&sqp=velin
    I was looking at THIS from Horizon, but it ( and now the 4000kv version ) shows out of stock until June
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...mbo-p-kxss0500

I wouldn't do the trade-in program. You can get a castle sidewinder combo for roughly $100 and it performs similarly to the 4 pole vxl set-up. IMO if you plan to stick with a 2s lipo, then you should look into a 550 sized 4 pole set-up. Or you can do what most people do and opt for a lower kv/higher voltage set-up.
    its not fun until something breaks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
    It might help to find a lower KV motor. The lower Kv's might be a little slower, but I bet it will feel more at home on 3S. Also, you could get a Castle 2400kv or an El Sob Special (traxxas et-2400) and those both work with the stock vxl 4-pole esc if you have it.

How would I know which one I have. Its brand new, and has the 3 caps on the back of the esc. I love the 3s speed, but I know it won't last, it just gets too hot.

If you have the 3 caps on the back of the ESC, you have the 4-Pole unit.

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wjs82 View Post
    How would I know which one I have. Its brand new, and has the 3 caps on the back of the esc. I love the 3s speed, but I know it won't last, it just gets too hot.

The one with the 3 caps and braided insulation on the wires is 4 pole version..
    I had the 2 pole version in the used 4x4 I traded for and the rotor cracked ( who know ehat temps/abuse the prev owner subjected it to. )

VXL-3s really that bad?

Yep that's the one

RC Racer
    So better motor, or just get a whole new combo?

RC Qualifier
    I am pretty sure the VXL can run a lot of lower KV/higher turn motors, if that's what you are looking for.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I am pretty sure the VXL can run a lot of lower KV/higher turn motors, if that's what you are looking for.
    Trying to weed out the weak link. If like to run 3s full power. I like the snappyness of the truck. I might just gear up and leave the esc in training mode. Keeps the battery cool.

Let me add my $0.02! I have been running the four pole Velineon esc with my El Sob motor for awhile now. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I have a fan on the esc and it runs nice and cool
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

My humble opinion. The Velenion system is a fine combo in the right application. If you're gonna race your 4x4 on 2s on a track it should be fine. If you're gonna bash it on 3s and 2.8 tires, look for something better. I stuck my Velenion in a 2wd Rustler...I geared it 32p at 18/54. I can beat 2s pack after 2s pack through it and it never flinches. I pop my 3s pack in it and it thermals before the pack is done. The vxl esc can run other motors just fine(I ran the 2400 with mine) but if you're gonna upgrade I would save the Velenion system for another vehicle(you're gonna end up with a fleet anyway) The Slash is big/heavy enough to respond well to any of the 1/8th scale stuff available. KV down,volt up,gear up. Just make sure the rest of the driveline is ready.

Edit: Next on my radar is a 4 Tec 2.0. Move my Velenion into that....put my 2400kv into the Rustler(with another HW SC8) and gear the Rusty to the moon on 3s. Keep the 4 Tec a 2s ride. Hmmmm...
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 04-27-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

The 4-Tec 2.0 is a beast with the speed gear and Velineon motor system on 3s! I saw this video and it is really making me want one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The 4-Tec 2.0 is a beast with the speed gear and Velineon motor system on 3s! I saw this video and it is really making me want one!!!

I don't want to side track the OPs thread but.....I'm really thinking one of these will be a great road car! AWD and 3.5 lbs....LOTS of potential. NOT thrilled about $300 for a brushed vehicle to start though. We'll see but I'm REALLY digging on these things!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    I don't want to side track the OPs thread but.....I'm really thinking one of these will be a great road car! AWD and 3.5 lbs....LOTS of potential. NOT thrilled about $300 for a brushed vehicle to start though. We'll see but I'm REALLY digging on these things!
    I bet you they are going to make many other body's on the Same chassis, I would love to see a super scaled Viper ACR.

RC Racer
    Let me add my $0.02! I have been running the four pole Velineon esc with my El Sob motor for awhile now. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I have a fan on the esc and it runs nice and cool
    What motor, and 2s or 3s.

Last edited by Wjs82; 04-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.

For El Sob, I would say 2400kV with 3S.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    For El Sob, I would say 2400kV with 3S.
    I can't find a traxxas 2400kv only castle, they retail about 100, is that the one. I'm going bigger tires tomorrow so I migby be in the market sooner than later.

The Traxxas 2400kV is the motor from the Funny Car (ET-2400).

It's a re-branded Castle motor.

Traxxas = Blue Can
    Castle = Green Can

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    The Traxxas 2400kV is the motor from the Funny Car (ET-2400).

It's a re-branded Castle motor.

Traxxas = Blue Can
    Castle = Green Can
    So that motor stock was, gear up to say 18 or 19 will still be a 45mph truck on the 2.8 trenchers on a 3s without heat worries. If that's a confirmed I will buy it tonight.

Where do I get one if that's the case! I'm in no hurry for stupid speed, just want a reliable basher. Thanks a million guys.

Wait for El Sob to post. It's nick-named the "El Sob Special" for a reason!
    You can always PM him as well...

That motor is a beast! I still love it! Yesterday at the rc drag races, my truck with the El Sob motor dominated! If you can't tell I really love that motor

RC Competitor
    That motor is a beast! I still love it! Yesterday at the rc drag races, my truck with the El Sob motor dominated! If you can't tell I really love that motor
    Can it use the XL3s ESC or does it need the one in the photo?

RC Qualifier
    How does one get one? And cost ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Redirecting this thread back toward the topic. My LHS has exactly 1 motor ESCs combo in the case . A 4 pole vxl3 . His out the door price is 142 . So probably about the same as horizon give or take a few bucks.
    I'm not dead set on VXL combo, but I'd at least be supporting a LHS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    So stock motor, gearing on trenchers and 3s is training mode it thermal in 10 minutes. Granted 100 degrees out today, would this motor give me my fun back or will I still have heat issues.

Would a 3s in training generate more heat on the esc over the esc at full power. I do have a fan coming for the esc and motor but will just a motor upgrade be easier on the esc?

Last edited by Wjs82; 04-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Castle phasing out the sensorless stuff and making them all sensored? Will that make the 2400 sensorless harder to find? The Traxxas 2400 is tough to find for sure. Quick ebay search shows the majority of the 2400 showing up as sensored. Just curious what's out there as every time this topic comes up the 2400 is always suggested. Leopard offers a similar 2400(3670) that I would think should perform pretty well. Might be an option if Castle is going all sensored.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopard-3670...IAAOSwo4pYEAiI
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Racer
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the vxl3s sensored?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Castle phasing out the sensorless stuff and making them all sensored? Will that make the 2400 sensorless harder to find? The Traxxas 2400 is tough to find for sure. Quick ebay search shows the majority of the 2400 showing up as sensored. Just curious what's out there as every time this topic comes up the 2400 is always suggested. Leopard offers a similar 2400(3670) that I would think should perform pretty well. Might be an option if Castle is going all sensored.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopard-3670...IAAOSwo4pYEAiI
    They're pretty much all phased out already. I was just on the Castle website the other day, and if you visit "Motors for surface", and click on any of the sensorless motor listings, it indicates that is has been replaced with a new version (sensored). I guess it was more cost efficient to completely move to a new line, instead of trying to maintain old and new.

Quote Originally Posted by Wjs82 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the vxl3s sensored?

Sensorless, but perhaps in the future Traxxas will revamp it with sensored control. With Castle moving their surface product line to all sensored, I could see it happening in the near future.

RC Racer
    Can you run a sensored motor on a sensorless esc? If so would the castle 2400kv be a good fit as Im not seeing any of the ET2400's out there. Looks like you guys bought all the El-Sob specials out there!

You could, but it'll cog at low throttle. If you're keen on sticking with the VXL-3S, then I wouldn't get too hung up on getting a Castle 2400kv. There are other decent low KV 4-pole motors you can pick from, like Hobbywing, Leopard, GForce, etc., which also have 5mm shafts. You'll be hard pressed to find a Traxxas ET-2400 these days, because the Traxxas Funny Car just isn't popular, so chop shops aren't buying & parting them out. Also, there seems to be a back order on them. I think a new Castle sensored 2400KV will be better, anyways, because of the sensored control and 5mm shaft. I'm going to be putting one in my own Slash 4x4 MT build, coming up.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    You could, but it'll cog at low throttle. If you're keen on sticking with the VXL-3S, then I wouldn't get too hung up on getting a Castle 2400kv. There are other decent low KV 4-pole motors you can pick from, like Hobbywing, Leopard, GForce, etc., which also have 5mm shafts. You'll be hard pressed to find a Traxxas ET-2400 these days, because the Traxxas Funny Car just isn't popular, so chop shops aren't buying & parting them out. Also, there seems to be a back order on them. I think a new Castle sensored 2400KV will be better, anyways, because of the sensored control and 5mm shaft. I'm going to be putting one in my own Slash 4x4 MT build, coming up.
    On the stock ESC would this be beneficial, or should I hang up that towel and just go with a new full system.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    The new Sensored Mamba X with the 5mm shaft 2400kv motor is a great motor system! I have really enjoyed it in my On Board Audio Ultimate Edition! It is incredibly smooth at low speeds and has really made me want to get one for all of my trucks

I took a look at that car in person, and it looks really, really good. Nicest body and chassis I've ever seen on a Traxxas kit.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    The new Sensored Mamba X with the 5mm shaft 2400kv motor is a great motor system! I have really enjoyed it in my On Board Audio Ultimate Edition! It is incredibly smooth at low speeds and has really made me want to get one for all of my trucks
    do it, and sell me your current esc and motor combo please!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast