Thread: My Sst

My Sst

I've had my Sst for around 17 months and I have done a lot to it. After a stock motor got slightly damaged from water and another burned out I decided that it was time to upgrade to a brushless system. So I got a Hobbywing ezrun 1/16 1/18 combo. After a while I put a light kit on my sst and I ruined the brushless ezrun 18a esc the hobbywing combo came with by using an almost dead stock nimh when it was set up for a lipo batt when I was testing the lights out. I bought the same esc and it lasted a long time. The wires started breaking a lot and I had them resoldered multiple time but they kept snapping. I resently bought a hobbywing quickrun brushless esc and so far it's working great I just bought an Integy aluminum diff housing and it seems to be very durable. The bearings on the GPM steel and aluminum ball diffs I put in the front didn't line up properly in the Integy diff housing, but the steel ball diff I have in the back fit perfectly so I took a bit from a dremel set and put it on a drill and shaved down a bit where the bearings went on the GPM diffs and then it fit perfectly. I have put a Savox SH0261MG steel gear digital servo in because the stock servo gears stripped out. I also put an Integy motor fan made for the 1/16 slash, mini erevo, and 1/16 summit on my tiny Hobbywing ezrun 12t 7800kv brushless motor. To put the fan on my motor I simply carefully bent the heat sink it came with so it would fit the motor. My stock shocks broke a lot so I got the GTR shocks for my sst and they seem to be indestructible! I recently purchased a pair of aluminum suspension arms by Hot Racing that were made for the HPI mini recon because I thought they would fit and they were a few bucks cheaper but they were a little to small where it hooks up to the caster blocks so I filed down some of the caster blocks to make it fit properly and they seem to be very durable, though, I am going to get 2 new pairs of the Hot Racing suspension arms made for the sst and Teton. The stock axles broke a lot when it stock so I purchased the aluminum axles and after a few crashes and suspension arms break the axles got all bent up. Before I got the diff setup and even knew about it I got the solid spool that traxxas makes. The plastic gear stripped so I modified the ring gear the sst came with and put it on the aluminum spool and I broke for aluminum axles with my brushless system in and after the fourth axle broke I noticed that traxxas had mismanufactured it because the axles hit the outdrive when the suspension was fully compressed which slowly wore the axles away. So you should never ever get locked diffs for the Latrax vehicles because it ruins the axles, the vehicle doesn't handle well, and the outdrives get bent up and ruined when it's brushless. For my rear differentials I got the Hot Racing Team Associated 18t ball diff steel outdrives and, the Team associated 18t ball differential rebuild kit, the Team Associated 6636 differential silicone grease,4cc, and the GPM Team Associated 18t steel ball differential gear. I also put four shims on the rear diffs. Once I get another aluminum diff housing I won't be able to put shims on, but that doesn't matter. For the front diffs I just got the GPM steel and aluminum ball diff set they make for the latrax vehicles. If you get the GPM diffs, you will probably have to tighten or loosen the small hex screw in one of the outdrives because that adjusts the tork. The tighter the screw the more tork you will have but, like on any ball differential if you tighten it to much the diff outdrives will not move at all. If the screw is to loose that you will have very little tork. My body mounts broke so I upgraded to aluminum body mounts which are very strong, thought they have bent a few times so I just bent them back. I use a Traxxas 2s 2200mah lipo battery in my sst and it goes a little faster than my older brothers 1/16 slash 4x4 which is set up to goe 50mph+ This is almost every thing I've done to my sst within the time I've had it.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for sharing. With broken and then bent body mounts, you really bash hard!

If anyone has the traxxas 7073 /16 slash tires and wheels on their sst ,Teton, or mini slash and hates having the black scratches on the chrome wheels than the best thing to fix that is to buy a silver sharpy and color it back. That's what I do.

I got two new pairs of the Hot Racing Suspension arms, front caster blocks by Integy, steering blocks in aluminum by Hot Racing, the Aluminum steering belcrank by Hot Racing which comes with servo saver, etc.. Good news for me, Traxxas sent me a replacement 2s lipo because my old one was ballooning and the seal was tearing in the corners. I emailed Traxxas pictures of the battery and the shipping info and other stuff like that and they sent me a little 3s lipo instead of a 2s, so I called them and they sent me a little 2s like I was supposed to get and I got to keep the 3s Bad news, the GPM body mounts bend quite easily and one snapped in the rear. It bent during a run, so I bent it back and It snapped.