RC poster

Choosing the right model for the job....

I'll start off with this, I didn't even know they had RC cars like this until about 8 months ago when I was looking for something for my son for Christmas and a friend told me this was a good hobby for fathers and sons to do together. So knowing nothing about the hobby I blindly purchased the E-Revo brushless for him for Christmas hoping it would be a hit. It was more than a hit. It has become our obsession!!! He loves it and I love helping him hop it up and change out broken parts and figure out how to make it better the next time. Might have gone a little overboard not realizing the work that goes into it starting him off with something so fast and expensive but we're knee deep in it now. Now for my question...So I am thinking I want a car too for us to do things together and be able to compete with one another. I just like doing jumps and wheelies and bashing so not knowing what is what besides the Revo I am curious what your opinions are between sticking with the same car so we can share parts and whatnot or the new XMAXX since I'm all about the bashing and flipping and crashing. The revo seems to hold up to our beatings but I'm not sure that's what it was built for. haha. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I will say having two different models, increases your spare parts ben. Then your little one will want a bigger truck too.Haha

gl2u
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/122465541144

Everything you need.

RC Enthusiast
    I vote 2 x the same truck. Better chance of having the right spare part when something breaks. Or you an try different setups to see what works better.

Problem with xmaxx is it means all new batteries for it, unless you stick with the 6s version (unless you are only doing 4s in revo? )

Would love to see current pix of the truck and a spec list!

RC Racer
    Nice choice on the revo it is such a cool Rig. I wish my dad was into fast rc's he just likes the crawlers. Diffently get another revo, that way you can do similar upgrades or different. That way you or him are always competing to see who is faster
    Traxxas E-Revo,Traxxas Rustler VXL,Traxxas T-Maxx

If you have the area for the revo, I'd suggest just getting a second revo. As mentioned, then you can keep one set of spare parts for everything.

A revo can be made pretty tough with the right upgrades. I know I run mine pretty hard and get pretty decent air with it for a couple hours at a time and rarely now do I break stuff. I've had 2 other nitro revos for years and at Christmas 2016, got my first electric rig, the brushless 1/10 revo. So I now have 3 revos. They share arms, axles (outer axles), wheels, tires, wheel nuts, shocks, pushrods, tie-rods, body mounts, wing mounts, wings and servos. I'm sure a few other odds and ends. Basically, everything that sticks out will work on either.

Since I have had revos for quite a few years, I knew all the nitro weaknesses and took care of those right from the start on the e-revo. The e-revo had a few different weaknesses that you can also overcome pretty easily. The one thing the e-revo is tough to overcome are the diffs. If you run 4S, your pretty much fine. If you run 6S, you either have to be very smart with the throttle, or plan on cooking diffs and axles on a regular interval. Knowing that, I stuck with 4S and have been happy so far.

The upgrades I think that are required to make it heavily bashable:
    RPM front arms/carriers
    RPM True-track for the rear
    Sawed off wheel hex's with HPI 5x17mm flange nuts
    HPP motor brace
    Rear chassis brace
    Rear skid protector (if running in skate parks)
    Alloy rockers, front/rear
    Variable shock kit front/rear
    50/60 weight oil (front/rear)
    Silver/blue springs (front/rear)
    Stronger/faster single steering servo
    HD servo saver spring

I have all that on all 3 revos and I basically run them all without a care in the world. Anything short of casing a 10+ foot in the air jump can be handled all day long.

I'm running SMC 9000mah 2S 60C packs in mine (now they have 9500/150c available) and get between 35-45 minutes of runtime depending on where I run with 56/18 gearing, I think. So far, it's plenty fast for me and has plenty of torque for stupid long wheelies all over the place.

I also got the t-bone racing front/rear skid for the ERBE and should have got the wheelie bar rollers. Not sure if that was a necessity or not, but my wife got the skids for me for my b-day. They seem to do their job well. Even after 18 years of bashing, I'm still an awful driver. I have horrible depth perception, especially at a distance, and tend to smack into things like trees, posts, trash cans, curbs...
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 05-01-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Thanks a lot for all the recommendations everyone! I ordered my E Revo brushless today and I should be smashing it up by Wednesday!

RC poster
    Olds97_lss thanks a lot for the recommendations! I've been just randomly buying things for my sons and have no idea what I'm doing so it's nice to have some direction on what will actually be helpful. My son has managed to bend just about every steering rod on the vehicle. I changed them all out to the alloy and so far he's only bent one of those. All the batteries I've bought so far were the traxxas 7800 2s batteries and they seem to last quite a while so I can't wait to see how long a 9000 lasts. I didn't even think about changing the servos. I noticed the steering is a little sluggish and wondered how to make it more responsive. Is the single servo a traxxas part? I immediately added the silver springs to my sons and ordered the 60 weight oil. I'm going to look for all the other things tonight and get my summer wish list together for both our vehicles so I can start working all the overtime it's going to take to pay for it all. Haha! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshbowling1980 View Post
    Olds97_lss thanks a lot for the recommendations! I've been just randomly buying things for my sons and have no idea what I'm doing so it's nice to have some direction on what will actually be helpful. My son has managed to bend just about every steering rod on the vehicle. I changed them all out to the alloy and so far he's only bent one of those. All the batteries I've bought so far were the traxxas 7800 2s batteries and they seem to last quite a while so I can't wait to see how long a 9000 lasts. I didn't even think about changing the servos. I noticed the steering is a little sluggish and wondered how to make it more responsive. Is the single servo a traxxas part? I immediately added the silver springs to my sons and ordered the 60 weight oil. I'm going to look for all the other things tonight and get my summer wish list together for both our vehicles so I can start working all the overtime it's going to take to pay for it all. Haha! Thanks again!
    Yeah, the costs do add up. Start with the RPM arms/carriers. Those are usually the first things I break on all my revos.

As for the servos, you just figure out what your willing to spend. I've been running a servo that isn't available anymore for many years on all my trucks. It's a little weak for a single servo setup for many, but for me, it works fine. Hitec 985MG, 172oz/.13sec @6v. Most guys go with something that has 200oz+. I never even ran the stock servos on my e-revo. I changed it, the shocks (with oil/vdp kit/springs) and the HPP motor brace before I even ran it the first time.

All I can recommend for a servo is to get waterproof and try to get 200oz inch or more torque.

If you go with a savox, you may need a glitch buster cap as well ($5 add on capacitor) as savox servos use a lot of instant power and can cause brownouts. They do have some with good specs for decent prices. I have a savox 0231MG in one of my nitro revos, while not as fast as the 985MG, it's definitely got more torque. I did find it necessary to run a cap with it though as it was causing my throttle servo to twitch quite a bit. With the cap, it still twitches, but not enough to actually affect the engine RPM. The heavy duty servo saver spring is a traxxas part. With the stronger servo, it helps get more of the torque to the tires vs just compressing the spring.
    Expert rigging at it's best!