Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC poster
    I'm surprised Traxxas doesn't have a clear body available for those who want a custom touch.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, clear would have been a good option if they had offered both the canopy and roll hoop, but Traxxas typically doesn't offer too many color choices other then what is already seen. I guess they have to decide what they think will be most popular, and leave the rest to the end user. Honestly, when you think about it... A few years, maybe a little longer before any manufacturer moves on and discontinues a model, so it makes sense for them not to tie up resources flooding the market and their own warehouses with parts that might never sell again?

I am a little closer today. The paint​ is fully cured, so i was able to put the stock decals back on and reattach the center spine of the canopy. A that is left is to clear coat and let that cure. I am pretty sure that the orange in the rear is going be pretty amazing with this yellow. I think it is going to look better then even the blue? Not much left to do now, so I will know soon enough.
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    The lights show through the orange better than the blue . . imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    The lights show through the orange better than the blue . . imo

that was my thinking as well. with my leaving the frame black as opposed to yellow like I did the Alias, the blue would not be nearly as visible. it looked great on the Alias, but it wont with the Aton using a black frame. orange and yellow are more of a natural match, so I will go with that. I can always switch later on if needed.

there has been a set back. I clear coated the roll hoop and canopy this morning. the roll hoop turned out fine, but for some reason, the clear coat pulled and cracked the paint in a few places? I am guessing I got it too thick without knowing it and the clear coat sagged? not sure, but it is ruined. I used a Rustoleum 2X clear coat and I wasn't sure it would be right for the Krylon paint, but when the roll hoop turned out ok... I went for the canopy. I will run to the hardware store this weekend and see if the Krylon Maxx comes in a clear coat. i wont try the Rustoleum on the canopy again... that was my last canopy.

I have my red canopy now painted, so I am starting over on the canopy. .

RC Competitor

RC Qualifier
    Roger... That is going to be amazing!!! Nicely done!!!

Did you use the Tamiya translucent for the front lenses?

RC Competitor
    Did you use the Tamiya translucent for the front lenses?

yes

Last edited by roger23France; 05-20-2017 at 01:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    nicely done! I love the two tone with the neon... it is going to look great!

RC Qualifier
    i finished it up today...

i gave some thought to the rear being blue but i just dont like the blue blades. green would be a little too much i think so i stuck with orange in the rear. the orange is going to be the best option for both day and night. i took a hole punch and punched two circles from a small piece of wing tape then applied one over each of the front flood lights. this diffused them as well as gave them a yellow glow.

Krylon didnt have a clear coat in the Maxx version, so i did not clear coat this new canopy... just wasnt worth the risk.

storms moved in, , so havent had a chance to fly it to see if are any balance issues or odd behaviors present, but i cant imagine there will be?

RC Qualifier
    Very Nice work !

RC Competitor
    very nice !

Very good choice of color !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks fellas... Hopefully it fly right and look good in flight.

RC Qualifier
    just wanted to update...
    ... finally, I got to go out and give it a check flight today. it flew flawlessly! no issues with balance or performance and it looked absolutely beautiful in flight! I am glad I stuck with orange in the rear. in the sun light, it is the perfect contrast to the yellow conversion. I was a bit leery about flying with painted blades, but it lifted off in expert mode completely smooth and level, and had no impact of any kind in hard turns and maneuvers.

this color combination is a winner and I am glad I did it.

RC Qualifier
    Painted blades/off balance seem to have very little affect with my Aton as well

RC Qualifier
    Painted blades/off balance seem to have very little affect with my Aton as well

I actually didn't notice even a slight difference. I did a very slow lift off in expert mode and it went up smooth and level. I even let it sit in a hover in expert mode without and effect. the nice thing is that this Krylon paint is less than 6 bucks. one can will keep blades and body parts painted for ages, lol. I never intended on doing this again if a crash occurred, but for no more than it cost me... I will be doing a backed up canopy and roll hoop.

I diffused the flood lights with a small circle of that yellow wing tape. it was perfect! not blinding at all now but easily seen from anywhere with a nice yellow glow.

I wish Traxxas would include yellow in their line up. this thing is beautiful!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    after much consideration... I have decided to do a yellow color conversion similar to what I did with my previous Alias. it would be awesome if Traxxas would consider yellow as an option on their models, but they don't, so it is what it is. they make a white roll hoop, but not a white canopy? shame, as white is the easiest to paint with the best cured color appearance, so, I will be repainting my original red canopy and roll hoop. it will cure a little darker over the red, but still look nice.

the same color I used before, 1632 "bug yellow", and Tamiya translucent yellow for the front LED lenses, but the rear will be green as opposed to the blue I used on the Alias. since the rear indicator lights on the Aton are green, seems appropriate to go with green on the rear lenses and motor pod collars. I really liked how the blue and yellow look together, so really not decided on that. I will order both green and blue and experiment before I decide?

I was able to remove all the decals without damaging them and have them on a protective sheet for re-application later. I removed the white "spine" on the canopy and will leave that white since it will have white blades on the front, and black on the rear.

this will be a work in process, and I am not going to get in to a hurry. just gonna take my time and do it right. I like the orange conversion, very nice visibility, but yellow is much better. I figure if I trash the yellow in a crash... orange is a good go to color. the yellow is pretty much a one time deal, but I will give it a shot.

I will post progress as I go.
    I also painted several canopies and roll hoops. You are correct about the paint color drying differently over a colored canopy i.e. Red canopy, compared to that same color drying over a white roll hoop. The way I did it so that I wouldn't have to use an entire can of spray on the body to match the white hoop is to prime both pieces with white primer. Then you can get away with 2 or 3 even coats and the they will match perfectly.

RC Qualifier
    I wasn't sure up front how much additional paint weight would affect it's performance, so just kept it as light as possible. Now I know, so yes, if I have to use any other color than black or white... Primer is the way to go. It's funny though because I used a red canopy and through the yellow paint... The floods shine through and give the nose an orange glow. Kinda cool how it worked out because it matches with the orange/yellow color scheme, lol.

RC poster
    What color yellow is that and what brand you don't mind saying.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chipster1 View Post
    What color yellow is that and what brand you don't mind saying.
    I used krylon super Maxx gloss.

RC Qualifier
    sorry for revisiting and old thread...my original photo hosting site went to "pay only" and held my photos hostage, so I went with another free site. this is just to preserve the pictures.

RC Qualifier
    She lives on !!! :-)

RC Racer

Yellow Conversion

Nice! I’m in the process of giving mine a “well used” military look, with camo paint job and all. I airbrushed my buddy’s heli canopies and boom.I normally don’t paint any of my own stuff. I guess it’s true when they say the cobbler children’s always go without shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dronenewbie; 02-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.

RC Qualifier
    She lives on !!! :-)
    she sure does ... poor thing has been sitting there since last July untouched. things with family have finally settled down and spring time will be my return to flying. I am basically going to start over, keep it in sport mode for a little while, then jump back in to expert and try to get back to where I was on a gradual basis. I still have my 200QX too, so may beat on it a bit before jumping back in with my Aton, we'll see? I just want to get back in the air.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dronenewbie View Post
    Nice! I’m in the process of giving mine a “well used” military look, with camo paint job and all. I airbrushed my buddy’s heli canopies and boom. I normally don’t paint any of my own stuff. I guess it’s true when they say the cobbler children’s always go without shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love it! very nice!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12