RC Racer

1600kv motor dies an 8s death

Running my v1 with the upgrade on 8s tonight going at full throttle down the street and all four proline tires lock up and skid to a stop. Impressive display! Throttle it a bit and it moves a few inches and stops. Check the esc for a light show and nothing out of the ordinary. Try to roll the truck and it is locked solid. Thinking a dif or perhaps spur/cush. Pick up the front end and wheels will spin and same on rear. Must be upstream...pull the cush and drivetrain moves freely. Grab the motor pinion and it is solid. Power up and give it some throttle and not good. So, pulled the motor and broke it down even though it obviously toast.

I have run this truck on 8s maybe 8 times tops and would have to say the 1600 does not like it too much!

The truck was running fine. No excessive motor heat. I would check after some high speed pulls and usually just warm to the touch. No smoke except from the tires skidding to a stop!

Kind of on the fence with what to do. Really don't want to drop 400 on motor and esc. May just drop in a 1200 and call it a day.

RC Qualifier
    Is it just the motor - the ESC's OK?

Go for the 1275 KV - don't look back.

1600 KV and 8S has got to be pushing it too much ... surprised they've lasted this long without people mentioning failed units earlier.

Al.

RC Qualifier
    After a year of use ,a 1600 gave up on me also - took gears with -
    nothing like the every 2 race replace - of the old days
    I run the 1600kv on 8s - daily -
    Just Run It
    fabricator

I have a new 1600KV for sale if you want another.
    SnpOn Blk
    SnpOn Red X2
    V1 Max5/Leopard
    V2 X 2

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by w8liftn View Post
    I have a new 1600KV for sale if you want another.
    Sent you a pm. Thanks for the offer.

RC Racer
    Welcome to the club. I made a similar post asking what could cause this but the thread got locked. Turns I'm not the only one. Since the forum wouldn't help I took it upon myself to discover what happened, this motor is well made, it's not great but it's good so the ridicule had me believing it was my fault some how. Not all sensorless brushless motors run the Kevlar over the entire length of the magnets, this traxxas 1600 does which it what companies like TP and Orion do. So I bought more motors and did lots of testing. What I found was each motor ran way cooler in a different xmaxx vs the one the motor failed in. The issue was 2 bearings were seized and the aluminum center drive shaft was bent. Now after every few runs I clean and lubricate the bearings and clean the whole truck with it dissambled. Since this routine I haven't had and issue since I started this

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    de oppresso liber

RC poster
    Noticed this thread last night and thought hope this doesn't happen to mine.....
    Then went out today for a few speed runs, trying to tempt my mate into getting a Xmaxx. After two runs he was saying yeah this is mad, then slowed down to turn then it stops dead. Press the throttle a bit more and it moves about a foot, then stops do the walk of shame 80 meters and the Trucks stuck solid open the gear cover to find the Motor seized, 1600kv on 8s.took the motor out was tempted to sling it caught my temper then called my local hobby shop and took it there to be sent to Logic and hopefully get a new motor in a week or so i hope.

RC Racer
    Well, oda7224 I remember your thread and the common thread between Drake36 and us is speed runs. I will recheck all the bearings and drive shaft just to confirm. I'm thinking maybe holding this motor at full power for extended pulls might have something to do with this? Really was not holding it wide open for nearly as long when I had the v1 tires on it. With the Prolines the lack of balloning lets me hold it wide open for extended periods. I know you have a ton of experience with this platform so I will double check the bearings and shaft and report back.

RC Racer
    I have a feeling this will be a common failure for the original 6S power ups.

There is prolly a reason Traxxas went with a lower KV motor in the 8S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    off topic question but you may be the guy to ask since you've dissected the motor - for the power leads, where they connect to the motor, do you know if there are traditional soldering tabs under that plastic cover?

At some point i might want to rewire my motor as I had a heck of time soldering the monster wires when installing an ESC awhile back - it works seemingly fine but not too glamorous looking. I asked traxxas about this, they went through the trouble to ask their tech for me who just said "you can dig in and find out if you want to, we don't condone it"...etc...

RC Qualifier
    Did you have a fan running on the motor? What was the motor temp when it stopped working?