RC Enthusiast

Lipo battery and charging education needed

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Complete newbie. I need to know about the balance board, C rating, what mahs I should be running, charging amps.....pretty much everything. I am running a stock slash ultimate.
    Slash 4x4 ultimate with OBA.

Generally for a short course you need 5000mah or more and a pretty high c rating from a reputable company. Charging should be done at 1c. So a 5000mah at 5 amps. You should balance every time you charge. It usually doesn't add any extra time. Make sure you turn the lvc on your esc on.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    I did a very long write up a long time ago...

Here it is again, I was hoping the admins would make it a sticky but they didnt....

Hi Everyone,

I have been in the hobby a very long and understand Lipo's incredibly well. This is a guide from what I have gathered over the years. This is a basic guide for the beginner to understand LIPO's and the ratings.

Some of this may clash with TRAXXAS instructions of LIPO care and Safety. If you have any doubts about what is stated below please follow TRAXXAS instructions.

If you do not understand something please ask.

That being said I am going to break this down to be as simple as possible... A simple summary can be seen at the end.

Which Battery to buy?

Each Lipo has several different ratings, if you are unsure of which battery to use always safe to go with what is recommended by the manufacturer.
    If that battery is unavailable you may use alternative options.

1) Voltage

Voltage of a battery is decided by how many cells are in a single battery.
    There can be anywhere from 1S all the way to 7S.
    For Lipo batteries a single cell in a battery is considered 3.7 Volts.
    This means that a 2 cell (2S most commonly labeled on a battery) is 7.4 Volts and a
    3S (3 cell battery) is 11.1 Volts.
    The higher the voltage the more Power you get.

BE SURE TO CHECK THAT THE TRAXXAS VEHICLE CAN SUPPORT THE
    VOLTAGE YOU ARE PUTTING INTO IT. I.E the Slash 2WD can handle a 2S Lipo but not a 3S.

2) MAH (Milli-Amp Hour)

This is the capacity of the battery, almost in comparison to the fuel tank in a car.
    It determines the amount of run time you will receive from a battery.

i.e. a 5000 MAH battery will give you more run time than a 3000 MAH battery.

This being said the 5000 MAH battery will be quite a bit heavier than the
    3000 MAH. If you purchase to large of a battery you may have trouble fitting the
    battery into the vehicle itself as the physical size of the battery may be too large.

3) C ratings

Here we have two different rating a charge rating (usually between 1C and 5C)
    and discharge ratings (25C - 70C).
    To explain further:

1C is basically 1*(MAH/1000).
    So if we have a 5000 MAH battery, 5000/1000 = 5, then 1*5 = 5 Amps.
    This means that 1C is 5 amps.

Charging - Charging is always safe to charge any battery at 1C.
    So for a 5000 MAH battery charge at 5 amps, or for a 2700 MAH battery charge
    at 2.7 amps. Any charge rate greater than this could potentially wreck a battery so be cautious.

here is a table for charge rates:

C rating MAH Charge Rate
    1 5000 5 Amps
    2 5000 10 Amps
    3 5000 15 Amps
    4 5000 20 Amps
    5 5000 25 Amps

The higher the charge rate the quicker the charge, so at 1C a battery will take 1 hour,
    at 2C the battery will take 30 mins,
    at 3 C the batetry will take 20 minutes to charge so on and so forth.
    The TRAXXAS EZ-PEAK DUAL can only charge 8 amps for output or 4 amps when using both outputs.

So if charging 2 5000 MAH batteries and the TRAXXAS charger at 4 amps will approximately take
    1 hour and 15 minutes to charge both batteries.
    If only charging 1 5000 MAH battery at 8 Amps then it would take approximately 40 mins to charge.

Discharge Rate - this is how much umpf a battery can supply,
    theoritically a 65C 5000MAH battery can discharge 325 amps safely when fully charged,
    and a 25C 5000MAH battery can discharge no more than 125 amps safely however
    that is not why this number matters.

Think about your car, as you drive it the fuel level goes down,same thing happens with Lipos
    as you drive it the MAH's available go down.
    So now after driving for 40 minutes there might only be 1000 MAH left in the battery.
    So now that 25C battery can only discharge 25 AMPs,
    while the 65C battery can discharge 65 amps.

Do Not misunderstand this portion, as all TRAXXAS batteries have only a 25C discharge rating.
    Some of you might say well that's not good.

Let me say this I cannot tell the difference between a 25C TRAXXAS battery and a 65C battery in my
    TRAXXAS Slash 2WD because simply put the Slash does not draw enough current.
    Furthermore why spend the money on 65C battery for a vehicle that doesn't need it.

How to Charge - This applies to the EZ PEAK and EZ-PEAK DUO ONLY

Read the Manual for the TRAXXAS charger.
    It is the simplest charger on the market I have seen, certainly one of the cheapest cost wise.
    They even make adapter so that you may use third party batteries with this charger (YAY TRAXXAS).
    Keep in mind this Charger will only handle 2S or 3S batteries.

Always charge with what is called a balance charge. This keeps the individual cells within the battery equal.
    Aka in a 3S battery the charger will
    ensure that the cell voltage of Cell #1 is within its tolerance (Usually .05 of a volt or so) of Cell #2 and Cell #3.

NEVER EVER CHARGE A DAMAGED BATTERY OR LEAVE A BATTERY UNATTENDED WHILE CHARGING!!!!!!!!!!

Breaking in

Not something I do very often and I probably should which is break in the batteries.
    This "Wakes up" the cells within the battery and allows the battery to
    live longer.

To break in a battery run the battery to about 70% of it's capacity for the
    first five or so runs you use it. Basically if you are to supposed to get 45 mins of
    run time out of the battery cut that to 10 mins for run #1, then to 12 mins, then 13,
    then 15 and 15 min runs.

Storage

To Store a Lipo the healthiest option for the lipo is to be at 3.8/3.85 volts per cell.
    If using the EZ PEAK DUO there is a mode there that says storage.
    So run the battery down past 50% then throw it on the charger.
    I only do this to batteries that are not going to be run within the week. Any longer than
    that I put mine into storage mode.

STORE THE LIPO SOMEWHERE COOL.

I keep my Lipos in fire proof bags just incase.

End of Life

DO NOT THROW BATTERY INTO GARBAGE

TRAXXAS has an amazing program to trade in batteries every year.
    They are the only ones that does this and another reason I use their batteries.

*****RIGHT ON THEIR WEBSITE*******

Lifetime Battery Exchange Program
    Traxxas stands by Power Cell LiPo batteries with the best warranty and exchange program available. For the first year of ownership, Traxxas will replace any battery found to be defective at no cost. After one year, any Power Cell LiPo battery in any condition can be exchanged for a new equivalent battery for just 50% of the new pack's retail price, no questions asked.

HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!

If you dont take advantage of that I recommend to contact the local fire hall or
    dump to see as to the best/safest method to dispose of a Lipo

In summary:

Voltage - use what is recommended
    Capacity (MAH) - Use what is recommended (the larger the number the more run time, but also the heavier and bigger they get)
    C rating - Anything above 25C discharge rating will work fine.
    Charging - Always balance charge and charge at 1C.. NEVER CHARGE A DAMAGED BATTERY OR LEAVE BATTERY UNATTENDED WHILE CHARGING.
    Storage - Use the storage setting on the charger after running battery down
    End of Life - Contract TRAXXAS or Local fire hall, DO NOT THROW INTO GARBAGE

Again this meant for the Average TRAXXAS consumer who is looking at getting a TRAXXAS RC with a LIPO.
    If you have any questions please PM me or contact TRAXXAS themselves.

RC poster
    1.traxxas lvd kiks in @around 3.5 or.3.6 volt per cell in lipo mode right ?

2. People are having hard time deciding what is the best volt to discharge a lipo some say 3.5,3.6.dont go below 3.0 and so

3.other people say that the best way to storage is between 3.5 not to pass 3.8..

Now if my lvd kiks in at 3.5 per cell why would i need to charge it in storage mode if is about same volt for both ,lvd and storage mode.....can anyone help me understand this🚘🚘🚘👍

By thd way my 2s 5800mah .after lvd kiks in has 7.04 volt so thats is 3.5 per cell isnt that way too low for lvd .....think i need to get one apart that i can check anytime ...right that a better option

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Albelo149; 05-11-2017 at 08:44 AM.

RC Competitor
    1. I actually don't know when low voltage kicks in for Traxxas.

2. Any battery that has a cell below 3.2 volts per cell I simply recycle or use as a setup battery, use for my heli starter, fuel pump, use to to charge 1s batteries..... I dont want to risk any damage to any of my cars/boats/planes or helis. Anything above 3.2 but below 3.5 I charge at 1C and watch carefully.

In my helicopters and airplanes I try not to fly below 3.7 volts per cell this is just so that at the end of my flight I have an extra minute to circle the run way once or twice if needed.

3. Store the battery at around 3.7 - 3.85 volts per cell... This is simply to avoid damage to the battery....

As time goes on the voltage can drop... If storing at 3.5 Volts and the voltage drops to 3.2, you could damage your battery.
    If you store the battery at 4.2 or 4.1 volts this is also bad for the battery and could cause it too puff..

I simply believe that the 3.7-3.8 volts is simply a happy middle ground...

Studies have also shown that storing batteries at that level (3.7-3.85 volts/cell) in a cool dry area will help preserve the battery...
    It is not much the voltage but the amount of mah's that the battery can hold that will decrease....

3.5 Volts for lvd is about right for a LiPo in a car...
    Just make sure that when it does go off you bring the car in and pull the LiPo out right away.

Bottom line....

Your 3.5 volts after running you truck is fine....

If you are going to run the truck again within the week I dont bother putting my LiPo's into storage.... Espically if kept in LiPo bag and in a cool place.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the education! Just bought a couple 2s batteries tonight
    Slash 4x4 ultimate with OBA.

RC poster
    if my lipo 2s 7200mah goes to 13% level charge ?? it is scrap or can recharge ? normally I verify with tool the level(never less than20%)so this time
    my traxxas slash 4x4 never stop(green light on esc)...sorry normally I speek french !
    Ithink traxxas let go too low charge level for lipo !? but I`M a newbi !
    Last edited by bifftanen; 06-24-2017 at 07:08 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RcManChild View Post

Here it is again...

Traxxas stands by Power Cell LiPo batteries with the best warranty and exchange program available. For the first year of ownership, Traxxas will replace any battery found to be defective at no cost. After one year, any Power Cell LiPo battery in any condition can be exchanged for a new equivalent battery for just 50% of the new pack's retail price, no questions asked.

HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!
    This is a great guide. Thank you for (re)posting it!

I’ve looked and searched on the Traxxas site, but I’m not seeing the battery exchange program... Might you have a link to it?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    This is a great guide. Thank you for (re)posting it!

I’ve looked and searched on the Traxxas site, but I’m not seeing the battery exchange program... Might you have a link to it?
    Simply contact the “support” link on the Traxxas site and shoot them an e-mail. They will then reply with everything you need to know, including a case number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great post sir! I do know you can restore a battery that goes below voltage cutoff and the charger won't charge it. Its a lengthy process but if all cells are still good it can be done.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RcManChild View Post

Here it is again, I was hoping the admins would make it a sticky but they didnt....

Hi Everyone,

I have been in the hobby a very long and understand Lipo's incredibly well. This is a guide from what I have gathered over the years. This is a basic guide for the beginner to understand LIPO's and the ratings.

Some of this may clash with TRAXXAS instructions of LIPO care and Safety. If you have any doubts about what is stated below please follow TRAXXAS instructions.

If you do not understand something please ask.

That being said I am going to break this down to be as simple as possible... A simple summary can be seen at the end.

Which Battery to buy?

Each Lipo has several different ratings, if you are unsure of which battery to use always safe to go with what is recommended by the manufacturer.
    If that battery is unavailable you may use alternative options.

1) Voltage

Voltage of a battery is decided by how many cells are in a single battery.
    There can be anywhere from 1S all the way to 7S.
    For Lipo batteries a single cell in a battery is considered 3.7 Volts.
    This means that a 2 cell (2S most commonly labeled on a battery) is 7.4 Volts and a
    3S (3 cell battery) is 11.1 Volts.
    The higher the voltage the more Power you get.

BE SURE TO CHECK THAT THE TRAXXAS VEHICLE CAN SUPPORT THE
    VOLTAGE YOU ARE PUTTING INTO IT. I.E the Slash 2WD can handle a 2S Lipo but not a 3S.

2) MAH (Milli-Amp Hour)

This is the capacity of the battery, almost in comparison to the fuel tank in a car.
    It determines the amount of run time you will receive from a battery.

i.e. a 5000 MAH battery will give you more run time than a 3000 MAH battery.

This being said the 5000 MAH battery will be quite a bit heavier than the
    3000 MAH. If you purchase to large of a battery you may have trouble fitting the
    battery into the vehicle itself as the physical size of the battery may be too large.

3) C ratings

Here we have two different rating a charge rating (usually between 1C and 5C)
    and discharge ratings (25C - 70C).
    To explain further:

1C is basically 1*(MAH/1000).
    So if we have a 5000 MAH battery, 5000/1000 = 5, then 1*5 = 5 Amps.
    This means that 1C is 5 amps.

Charging - Charging is always safe to charge any battery at 1C.
    So for a 5000 MAH battery charge at 5 amps, or for a 2700 MAH battery charge
    at 2.7 amps. Any charge rate greater than this could potentially wreck a battery so be cautious.

here is a table for charge rates:

C rating MAH Charge Rate
    1 5000 5 Amps
    2 5000 10 Amps
    3 5000 15 Amps
    4 5000 20 Amps
    5 5000 25 Amps

The higher the charge rate the quicker the charge, so at 1C a battery will take 1 hour,
    at 2C the battery will take 30 mins,
    at 3 C the batetry will take 20 minutes to charge so on and so forth.
    The TRAXXAS EZ-PEAK DUAL can only charge 8 amps for output or 4 amps when using both outputs.

So if charging 2 5000 MAH batteries and the TRAXXAS charger at 4 amps will approximately take
    1 hour and 15 minutes to charge both batteries.
    If only charging 1 5000 MAH battery at 8 Amps then it would take approximately 40 mins to charge.

Discharge Rate - this is how much umpf a battery can supply,
    theoritically a 65C 5000MAH battery can discharge 325 amps safely when fully charged,
    and a 25C 5000MAH battery can discharge no more than 125 amps safely however
    that is not why this number matters.

Think about your car, as you drive it the fuel level goes down,same thing happens with Lipos
    as you drive it the MAH's available go down.
    So now after driving for 40 minutes there might only be 1000 MAH left in the battery.
    So now that 25C battery can only discharge 25 AMPs,
    while the 65C battery can discharge 65 amps.

Do Not misunderstand this portion, as all TRAXXAS batteries have only a 25C discharge rating.
    Some of you might say well that's not good.

Let me say this I cannot tell the difference between a 25C TRAXXAS battery and a 65C battery in my
    TRAXXAS Slash 2WD because simply put the Slash does not draw enough current.
    Furthermore why spend the money on 65C battery for a vehicle that doesn't need it.

How to Charge - This applies to the EZ PEAK and EZ-PEAK DUO ONLY

Read the Manual for the TRAXXAS charger.
    It is the simplest charger on the market I have seen, certainly one of the cheapest cost wise.
    They even make adapter so that you may use third party batteries with this charger (YAY TRAXXAS).
    Keep in mind this Charger will only handle 2S or 3S batteries.

Always charge with what is called a balance charge. This keeps the individual cells within the battery equal.
    Aka in a 3S battery the charger will
    ensure that the cell voltage of Cell #1 is within its tolerance (Usually .05 of a volt or so) of Cell #2 and Cell #3.

NEVER EVER CHARGE A DAMAGED BATTERY OR LEAVE A BATTERY UNATTENDED WHILE CHARGING!!!!!!!!!!

Breaking in

Not something I do very often and I probably should which is break in the batteries.
    This "Wakes up" the cells within the battery and allows the battery to
    live longer.

To break in a battery run the battery to about 70% of it's capacity for the
    first five or so runs you use it. Basically if you are to supposed to get 45 mins of
    run time out of the battery cut that to 10 mins for run #1, then to 12 mins, then 13,
    then 15 and 15 min runs.

Storage

To Store a Lipo the healthiest option for the lipo is to be at 3.8/3.85 volts per cell.
    If using the EZ PEAK DUO there is a mode there that says storage.
    So run the battery down past 50% then throw it on the charger.
    I only do this to batteries that are not going to be run within the week. Any longer than
    that I put mine into storage mode.

STORE THE LIPO SOMEWHERE COOL.

I keep my Lipos in fire proof bags just incase.

End of Life

DO NOT THROW BATTERY INTO GARBAGE

HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!

If you dont take advantage of that I recommend to contact the local fire hall or
    dump to see as to the best/safest method to dispose of a Lipo

In summary:

Voltage - use what is recommended
    Capacity (MAH) - Use what is recommended (the larger the number the more run time, but also the heavier and bigger they get)
    C rating - Anything above 25C discharge rating will work fine.
    Charging - Always balance charge and charge at 1C.. NEVER CHARGE A DAMAGED BATTERY OR LEAVE BATTERY UNATTENDED WHILE CHARGING.
    Storage - Use the storage setting on the charger after running battery down
    End of Life - Contract TRAXXAS or Local fire hall, DO NOT THROW INTO GARBAGE

Again this meant for the Average TRAXXAS consumer who is looking at getting a TRAXXAS RC with a LIPO.
    If you have any questions please PM me or contact TRAXXAS themselves.
    Oh my!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Nice job though.

if a lipo gets a small bulge is it going to be trouble ? ............ thanks .. steve

I would assume that its on its way.. Keep a close eye if it still charges fine. Don't leave it unattended while charging and in a fireproof container..
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    Wow! Nice post full of information.
    Last edited by RC WARRIOR; 02-16-2018 at 09:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    BTW: I completely forgot to mention if you don't like the LVC setting of 3.6 on the Traxxas ESC, the Low Voltage alarms are only 3 bucks each and plug in the balance lead of the lipo and stay on as you drive. They can be set for any voltage from 2.7 - 3.8v per cell. The alarm is LOUD. Look up "Lipo low voltage alarm" on amazon or Ebay, and you'll see pages of the same one just packaged differently by different sellers.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The last I knew, the LVC for a Traxxas ESC is no where near 3.6 volts per cell. It is more like 3.2 volts per cell.

RC Qualifier
    I'll have to look it up to be sure...Someone posted that Traxxas Support tech told him 3.6. I thought it was lower too.

I wouldn't let any of my lipos go to 3.2 no matter how slowly.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    People typically confuse the dynamic LVC set point with the voltage they see once a pack has been removed from the RC vehicle and then attached to the charger. By this time the cell voltages have rebounded to a considerably higher static value. A true 3.2 LVC set point could readily rebound to 3.6 volts per cell after being removed from the vehicle and attached to the charger. And the higher the cell IR's, typically the greater the cell rebound change in voltage.

RC Racer
    I called Traxxas and yes, the one guy I spoke to said lvc was 3.6. I wonder if I call them again and speak to a different person if I'll get the same answer or a different one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well ... I have run data logging equipment on numerous different Traxxas vehicles and of varying vintages and the cut-off my equipment recorded was always very close to 3.2 Volts per Cell. In addition to further verify, run an external display so I can slow the vehicle just long enough to glimpse the pack voltage. Again, cut-offs were always very close to 3.2 V/C with my vehicles and those of friends.

Maybe Traxxas changed the LVC set point recently, which would be great, as I always advocated a more conservative cut-off point.

If the dynamic cut-off is now truly 3.6 V/C, people should be seeing static cell voltages ranging from 3.8 to 3.9 V/C (or higher), once a pack has been run down to the LVC, then removed from the vehicle and connected to the charger.
    Last edited by Jakey; 02-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Well ... I have run data logging equipment on numerous different Traxxas vehicles and of varying vintages and the cut-off my equipment recorded was always very close to 3.2 Volts per Cell. In addition to further verify, run an external display so I can slow the vehicle just long enough to glimpse the pack voltage. Again, cut-offs were always very close to 3.2 V/C with my vehicles and those of friends.

Maybe Traxxas changed the LVC set point recently, which would be great, as I always advocated a more conservative cut-off point.

If the dynamic cut-off is now truly 3.6 V/C, people should be seeing static cell voltages ranging from 3.8 to 3.9 V/C (or higher), once a pack has been run down to the LVC, then removed from the vehicle and connected to the charger.
    Well, it looks like a call to Traxxas is in order!! I'll call again tomorrow and see what answers I get.

Anyone else willing to call and see what the responses will be?

Federal Holiday. I’m just sayin’.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Federal Holiday. I’m just sayin’.
    Do I hear TUESDAY? LOL!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just figure out the cut-off by yourself. Does your charger have a digital readout of the cell voltages? If so, run the pack aggressively until the LVC is tripped. Then remove the pack and hook it up to the charger to read the cell voltages. For a fairly new pack in good condition that was not over-Amped, in other words the pack C-rating fits the application, the cells will typically rebound 0.2 to 0.4 Volts.

For example: If after running the pack down to the LVC in a stock 4WD Slash, and then hooking it up to your charger - you see cell voltages of 3.6 and the pack is a 5,000mAh, 30C; then I think it is very safe to assume the cells were pulled down to near 3.2 volts at the time the cut-off was activated. If you are running a nice high-end pack with high C-Rating from a company like SMC, say a 6,000mAh, 80C - then expect the cells to only rebound 0.1 to 0.2 volts after a run in the same vehicle.

RC Racer
    I'll be using a Venom Pro checker to check them. My charger, which I'm going to get now is going to be the starter 3S kit from Traxxas.

RC Champion
    Still one of the best sites for a lipo education http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

RC Qualifier
    I just received a new batch of Admiral 4s 4000 Mah 40C lipos today. Looked at the care and feeding page they came with and was surprised to see they clearly stated to NOT run the lipo lower than 3.7v/cell and to not even try to charge the lipos if they are under 3.7v/cell!

They consider thier lipo trashed if it ever goes below 3.7 and unchargable!!!

Like the rest of you here are thinking about now....that's overly conservative. But then again, I never run any of my lipos below 3.8 in my cars or planes, so not an issue for me.

Just thought it a piece of interesting info for those of you wondering about lipos and their tolerance of being run down low.

Whether it's unique to these lipos, or just an overly conservative warning, or an indication of how little lipos like to be run below 3.7, that's up for debate.

I just thought it worth mentioning if not just for face value.

I do know one thing....If you charge your lipo just shy of a full charge, and don't run it lower than 3.8...it will last a Looooonnngg time.
    Slash VXL, Stampede VXL, 4tec VXL ,Bandit VXL