Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up TRX-4 My 1st Crawler --- Crawler Tips, Tricks, Techniques Thread

The Traxxas TRX-4 will be my first ever true Crawler EXCITED!!!

Thought a thread on Crawling Tips, Tricks and Techniques would be helpful for newcomers to Crawling and using the Traxxas TRX-4.

Anyone will to share some info on crawling to prepare us while we wait for the TRX-4 to arrive?

Cheers

TRX-4 My 1st Crawler --- Crawler Tips, Tricks, Techniques Thread

Start with quality tires and foams.

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

Thanks

What are your thoughts on the stock tires, form on the TRAXXAS TRX-4, realizing nobody has run it yet, based on:

"Canyon Trail 1.9 Tires
    The 1.9 Canyon Trail tires and tuned foam inserts are super-soft and grippy to deliver superior bite on rocky surfaces with convincing scale realism. The 12mm steel hex drive makes the TRX-4 chassis compatible with popular 1.9 wheel and tire combinations."

RC Competitor
    Im wondering if we'll be able to mount a winch to the stock bumper or if perhaps we'll be able to graft a rc 4 wheel drive bumper to it to mount a winch

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Thanks

What are your thoughts on the stock tires, form on the TRAXXAS TRX-4, realizing nobody has run it yet, based on:
    Knowing that it would jack the price up a little bit, I would REALLY love to see beadlocks when this comes out of the box. As with all scalers and crawlers (this is a scaler, not a crawler), weight in the wheels helps a lot to keep it planted. I am guessing 4-6oz in front, and 2oz in back (per wheel) will be a good starting point, but glue-on tires makes adding weight difficult.

With that, I am going to give the stock tires a chance, but most likely the 1.9 Rock Beasts that are sitting under my SCX10 will find a new home under the TRX-4.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Use the gearing in the transmission.

For slow, technical crawling sections you'll want to use low gear. It'll save wear and tear on your motor and make your battery last a lot longer.

Also use the diff lockers as needed. You can turn a lot tighter with open diffs than locked ones, but you can get over a lot more with them locked.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

For me, it's more about the driver, not the truck at first. Minus cosmetic. When I got my first scaler, I thought it sucked, it was really bad at crawling. I would get really frustrated, and I didn't enjoy driving it at all. I let one of my co workers drive my truck, and well it crawled really, really well. It made me realize that it wasn't the truck that sucked, it was me. It was kinda sobering. Once you get it I would focus in on learning the limits of your driving, and what the TRX-4 is capable of, and practice driving it on the tricky stuff.

After all that's said and done, go nuts. The scale market is stinking LOADED with cool parts. So many cool parts...
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    The scale market is stinking LOADED with cool parts. So many cool parts...
    This is what scares me the most about my first venture into the Scale category...
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    After all that's said and done, go nuts. The scale market is stinking LOADED with cool parts. So many cool parts...
    No joke there. I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what Vanquish, RC4WD, Dinky-RC and others come up with for the TRX-4. Surely we can expect things like aluminum bumpers very soon after it hits the streets (or, in this case, the rocks).
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-04-2017 at 10:34 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Tires for sure. As long as your cog is decent after that it's all about traction. If the stock tires aren't perfect spending good money on beadlocks, foams, and tires will be worth it. And wheel weight too. Although with the forward mounted motor we may not need to try biasing the weight forward much.

I have some blue aluminum 2.2 beadlocks with proline swampers that are definitely going to make their way onto it. I also have some 2.2/3.0 beadlocks with weight added with g8 swampers that I will try. Those tires are huge though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo1 View Post
    Im wondering if we'll be able to mount a winch to the stock bumper or if perhaps we'll be able to graft a rc 4 wheel drive bumper to it to mount a winch
    Traxxas engineers are not dummies. Expect a lot of compatibility with existing crawler accessories and plenty of Traxxas hop-up parts also.

Great insight guys.

Guess we don't about the Center of gravity on the TRX-4 yet, but we do know the Motor weight is in the front, so that helps keep traction and front tires getting grip right?

As for bigger tires, I love bigger tires. Hope a bigger set will fit when wanting to try a set other than stock.

Great insight guys.

Guess we don't about the Center of gravity on the TRX-4 yet, but we do know the Motor weight is in the front, so that helps keep traction and front tires getting grip right?

As for bigger tires, I love bigger tires. Hope a bigger set will fit when wanting to try a set other than stock.
    Definitely. You want more weight up front. I add weight to the nose of my telluride.

RC Competitor
    Ok so im reading thru the class 1 rulesbut im not sure how many points for this rig out of the box can someone tell me?

Ok so im reading thru the class 1 rulesbut im not sure how many points for this rig out of the box can someone tell me?
    This will be a class 2 based on tire size.

Plastic sliders = 1

Inner fenders (front and back) = 2

Bumpers (plastic) = 2

Stinger = 1

Roof Rack = 1

Functional transfer case = 4

Chassis mounted servo = 5

Non-functional scale items = 3 (assuming the spare tire is functional)

Functional items = 5

Spare tire = 3

I have 29 points by the SORRCA calculator. Not having any kind of interior hurts it a lot. Things right off the bat to add points:

Lights = 2 Assuming those front and back light buckets are functional (5mm LED)

Front winch = 2

Roof Light Bar = 1

That's 34 points.

There is also a hitch receiver shown, that will count to either function, or non-functional parts, so 35.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for clearing things up for me i thought it said that you counted 1 for either roof rack or light bar not both? Some of it seemed confusing to me must be getting old! Lol As far as interior with what appears to be tinted windows if you did add it would it count with tint or would you have to make them clear?
    Last edited by Solo1; 05-04-2017 at 08:43 PM.

You need to be able to see the driver, the seats, etc... But, that does not mean the windows have to be clear, they can be tented.

Back to tips and tricks...

If I understand this correctly, the diff lock system in this truck works off of one channel on the stock TQ system (just like the Summit). I am wondering how to make them work off of one channel on an aftermarket radio, like a DX5R. Anyone know?

Remote Locking Differentials
    Traxxas gives you the versatility to lock and unlock the front and rear differentials to suit your driving needs directly from your transmitter. Leave the differentials unlocked for relaxed driving on the trail with smooth, tight turning and better handling at high speeds. When the trail gets technical, lock the front and rear differentials, or just the front, for superior grip over extreme terrain. Our patented design has been proven rugged and capable in the Traxxas Summit. New sleeved micro cables control the differential action for scale appearance, without limiting the huge suspension articulation.

Greatscotty, guys, any chance you can describe a situation where it would be helpful to lock both diffs, vs. Just the front when on the trail and crawler?

When are these techniques best used on the rough stuff?

RC Competitor
    Was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for the best winch to mount on this. I see there are several but am leaning toward the rc4wd waren with remote does this work well?

RC Champion
    Isnt evwryone jumping the gun ? You cant comment on replacing stuff until you see how the stock stuff works. Could well be better than the upgrades available.
    Last edited by crazee horse; 05-06-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

I seriously doubt these tires are better than the crawler tires I currently have, and they aren't beadlocks. I already have weight added to boot.

And no vented brushed motor last very long in muddy water. Instead of replacing the Titan every other outing it'll get brushless. But the added power will also be more what I want. I've run telluride on a 21t Titan on 3s. It's a good setup. I'll want a little more on the top end though. It was perfect for the slower speed stuff.

On topic...,thinking of tricks and tips for trailing and crawling, what if the best way to approach obstacles to crawl over?

When is it best to us locked diffs, just locked front diff, any open diffs?

Remote Locking Differentials
    Traxxas gives you the versatility to lock and unlock the front and rear differentials to suit your driving needs directly from your transmitter. Leave the differentials unlocked for relaxed driving on the trail with smooth, tight turning and better handling at high speeds. When the trail gets technical, lock the front and rear differentials, or just the front, for superior grip over extreme terrain. Our patented design has been proven rugged and capable in the Traxxas Summit. New sleeved micro cables control the differential action for scale appearance, without limiting the huge suspension articulation.

Greatscotty, guys, any chance you can describe a situation where it would be helpful to lock both diffs, vs. Just the front when on the trail and crawler?

When are these techniques best used on the rough stuff?
    In just about any climbing/crawling situation, locked diffs are very helpful, if not a must. The tradeoff is steering, even with aggressive steering setups (45* or more), the truck still wants to push, adversely effecting the trucks turning radius, which can make tight/technical areas difficult to navigate successfully. But, in most cases, you want locked diffs, even for trailing.

With that, lockable diffs give the ability to open them up when you need, get through a technical spot, and then lock them up again. The other option to this is to run a dig, using the rear wheels as a brake, and pulling yourself around with the front wheels, but this requires more gears in the transmission, and another servo.

I have tried running open diffs for trailing and crawling in a number of SCX10 (ish) rigs, and it just does not work well, you just do not have the climbing power that locked/spooled diffs give. I have played around with different diff fluids, and even ran putty, as soon as they get warm the axles diffs out and you are back to one wheel with traction and the other spinning in the air.

Was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for the best winch to mount on this. I see there are several but am leaning toward the rc4wd waren with remote does this work well?
    We don't really know right now, perhaps someone from Traxxas could chime in. I think the assumption is that there will be some sort of hole pattern under the fake winch, if so, it should be the "standard" pattern that most other trucks use (Axial and RC4WD). If not, it should not be much of an issue to punch four holes in the bumper to mount the winch. For now, I am planning on using the RC4WD Warn 9.5 CTI winch that is currently sitting on my SCX10. I have modified it for more power, and I am running it off of an 18-scale ESC for more power and control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu0i-HsTWM&t=218s

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the video Greatscott!

Great Scotty thanks for the diff I sight!!

RC Competitor
    Im still looking at winches has anyone run 1 of these and what are your thoughts? RC4WD 1/10 WARN 8274 WINCH

Im still looking at winches has anyone run 1 of these and what are your thoughts? RC4WD 1/10 WARN 8274 WINCH
    There are a few reviews on YouTube for it and haven't heard anything bad, other than it being out of scale. The winch itself is rated at 50 lbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    The pulling power is amazing and with the "free spool" the winch job is a quick snap! Ok the winch is more 1/8 Scale .
    Y.T. =Bachkrabbler, ka4172 , Crawlervideo

I've a couple youtube videos it says approaching an obstacle on an angle (not 90degree angle) is the best to get traction and provide setup to get over it and on to another obstacle.

Any other tips, tricks and techniques on trail scale crawler running?

Any other tips, tricks and techniques on trail scale crawler running?
    Talking about good technic is great, but just like racing, there is no substitute for wheel time. The more you drive it, the more you will understand what it can and can't do, the better you will drive, and the more you will enjoy it.

Think about the obstacle, see if there is another approach that will be better. I set up courses for our comps, and I will set up gates that make you think. Particularly, I like setting up gates that have an obvious approach, but it will be super hard to make it through successfully; but if you take a little bit of time to think about the gate, you will see that there is a not-so-challenging way to hit it, most times a very easy way to hit it. But, that is were experience and wheel time comes into play.

For just trail running, go in a group, makes it a lot more fun.

Thanks Scott can't wait to get wheel time on it!

Do you think ahead about wherever the wheels will end up when crawling a certain kind of path?

How much do you worry about where the pumpkin will be and if it will hit?

Do you select a line or path suitable for front and rear tires?

Appreciate your comments and answers thanks!

Crawling is a different kind of driving from go-fast RCs, where you control them from a distance. If you are just trail running you can control it from a ways away, but when you hit a technical section, or are crawling, you really need to be right up on the truck to see what it is doing, and where you need to send it. This is a mistake a lot of new guys make.

Thanks Scott can't wait to get wheel time on it!

Do you think ahead about wherever the wheels will end up when crawling a certain kind of path?
    When crawling over technical stuff, absolutely. Again, it goes back to knowing how your truck will respond over a given obstacle. You REALLY want to think about where traction is, and isn't, and how the tires are going to grab. If you run in a group, or compete in a comp, you will often have spotters (just like 1:1 rigs), that will guide you to the best placement of your tires.

How much do you worry about where the pumpkin will be and if it will hit?
    Depends on the truck. My SCX10 has a large differential housing, so I need to place my tires on the rocks so that it helps the diff to clear, but sometimes there is just no getting around it getting hung up, comp courses are designed that way. With my Class 1 scaler, which has Losi Comp Crawler axles, it has just a little bump for the diff housing, so it really isn't that big of a deal. With the TRX-4 and its portal axles, I am guessing that it won't be that big of a deal, but I have never used portals, so we'll see.

Do you select a line or path suitable for front and rear tires?

Appreciate your comments and answers thanks!
    As much as you can, yes. When lining up the front wheels you always want to think about where your rear wheels are going to go. A lot of this is how you approach the obstacle, making sure the rear wheels will get through ok. This is something that is purposely planned into comp courses, gates that will require you to think about what your rear tires are going to do. A lot of times the rear tires will want to loose traction and slide. It all depends on the truck though, even my Wraith with its rear-steer has difficulty getting the back tires successfully through gates, which is kind of funny because I build most of the C3 courses.

Me, I just go drive over stuff for fun. Haha

RC Competitor
    Couple short vids on rc driver on facebook if anyone wants to see a little more

YES! It will do wheelies. Haha

I wish they would have crawled something though. Looks plenty fast for a trail truck.

It was mentioned the video was shot when the TRX-4 was in high gear.

Imho, wheelies on carpet, a poor representation of its capabilities.

Yeah too bad no close ups or actual crawling... in low gear. Although the cruise control demo vid was neat, cool feature.

Looking forward to much better videos showings it's capabilities!
    Last edited by jeteffect; 05-09-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Yes, it is. But this shows me I think it can satisfy my desire to fool around and jump and stuff in the flat spots.

I was hoping they were going to climb over something as well.

RC Competitor
    What surprised me was that it had enough traction to do a wheelie on carpet my slash just spins the tires

What surprised me was that it had enough traction to do a wheelie on carpet my slash just spins the tires
    Different tire compounds. Your Slash tires are make for high speed, so the compound is somewhat hard so that it will not balloon too bad at normal 1/10 SCT speeds, and so that the tires will last for a while. Most scaler/crawler tires are really soft, and the foams underneath have a soft outer layer, and a more firm inner layer, this allows the tire to grab, conform to, and wrap around rocks for better traction. The firm inner layer of foam keeps the tire from folding over on side-hills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast