Thread: Climate / CO2

Climate / CO2

A topic which got more and more attention during the last decade(s). Tons of information and different opinions. Many people who base their opinion on what others say without checking any facts.
    It's hard to find unbiased and reliable information (it is for me) about what is happening, what it means and what we can do about it.

What I see happening is that governments base their lawmaking on information that is too questionable to my taste. The same is happening where I live. For example: When I buy a new Ford Mustang GT in the Netherlands, more than half of the price is tax, due to the amount of CO2 it emits. Not that I am planning to buy one, but I am looking for facts which make it logical to levy such an amount of tax on CO2 emission.

What is your opinion about this topic and, even more important, based on what information did you form your opinion?

To keep it clear, the topic is "CO2 emission caused by human beings causes climate changes in a way which is bad for the earth"
    Nobody is born with experience

I think we need to take care of the planet, it is the only one we have. With that, I consider myself a conservationist, not an environmentalist. To me, it seems unlikely that you can have eight billion people living on the planet and not have a significant impact on the environment. But, there are also dubious political agendas at work, trying to control and manipulate the population for their own ends. If you take any kind of statistics course in college, you know that there are a million ways to manipulate real numbers to have them come out in your favor.

The popular thinking is that climate change due to CO2 emissions will lead to more sever weather, drought, and famine, causing the deaths of millions of people. So, if you really think about it, the problem is self-correcting, the more CO2 that is put in the environment, the more people will die, which, will in turn, will result in less people on the planet putting less CO2 into the environment.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have never worried about it. I believe in taking care of the earth but I also don't think we should go over board and charge farmers a fee to cover cow flatulence, nor do I think the world needs to convert to electric cars. This is all coming from a guy who drives a car that gets at best 8 miles to the gallon and who lives in a town where every other car that drives by is a 12 valve Cummins blowing black smoke without a muffler. I also believe that God created the earth to hold as many human beings as he wanted. So in summary I care about the earth but I also don't believe in environmentalism or climate change.
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

It's garbage, what it all comes down to is money.

That's not to say I don't care environment/planet, cause I do and it's the only one we have.

BUT, every time the envirolooonies come out with another "this is gonna kill the planet" idea it always turn out to be junk, costs us a ton of money when the likes of al snore & his bunch find a way to tax us for it.

Just like you never hear of Global Warming/Man Made Global Warming any more, why, science proved it to be nothing more then the natural cycle the earth goes through.

Since this whole sharade is worthy billions, they just changed the name to keep the money flowing, the new buzz word is now Climate Change/Man Made Climate Change.
    NEVER in the history of this planet has the climate ever stayed static

The facts are so manipulated and "corrected" you can't believe anything that comes from the gov or the envormental groups.
    Even NASA makes the numbers fit the their facts so they can keep their 30billon piece of the pie.

Every thing that breathes produces co2, what's next an average breath per 24 hr tax?

Here in the US they were wanting to fine farmers in the middle of the country for making too much dust and causing asmatics in New York City breathing problem.

No matter what they will always come up with something to scare the little people with, it all comes down to money and control, and they'll lie to your face to get their way.

For me I take what they say with a grain of salt, so far they have been wrong, and they are still wrong, but just keep right on going forward with the same old lie repackaged in shiny new paper with a big green shiny bow.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 05-29-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Hard to believe any of it when they keep changing their tune. I've been in the automotive field my whole life. 1st they were focused on CO and HC emissions. So we added cat converters and leaned out fuel mixtures. That worked for CO and HC but created NOx. NOx is bad. So we added EGR. That helped with NOx but those cats that we added turn CO into CO2. So now CO2 is the culprit. It goes on and on and on!!! If any of you are curious why that new car you want is 50k you can ask those "scientists"
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Hard to believe any of it when they keep changing their tune. I've been in the automotive field my whole life. 1st they were focused on CO and HC emissions. So we added cat converters and leaned out fuel mixtures. That worked for CO and HC but created NOx. NOx is bad. So we added EGR. That helped with NOx but those cats that we added turn CO into CO2. So now CO2 is the culprit. It goes on and on and on!!! If any of you are curious why that new car you want is 50k you can ask those "scientists"
    Not to hijack the thread, but seeing you've been in automotive field since before catalytic converters, and I know from other posts you are in WI, did you used to work at AMC when they were still around?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK well it is documented that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, biggest argument is how much is being produced and by what and by who.
    Most people do not even know what it really is. I copied this from skepticalscience.com
    The greenhouse effect works like this: Energy arrives from the sun in the form of visible light and ultraviolet radiation. The Earth then emits some of this energy as infrared radiation. Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere 'capture' some of this heat, then re-emit it in all directions - including back to the Earth's surface.

Through this process, CO2 and other greenhouse gases keep the Earth’s surface 33°Celsius (59.4°F) warmer than it would be without them. We have added 42% more CO2, and temperatures have gone up. There should be some evidence that links CO2 to the temperature rise.

Fake? I don't think so, a look at our polar ice melting and sea levels rising is pretty good evidence.

Now taxing someone based on their greenhouse gas emissions is an easy way to try to deter people from using something that is not as envirnmentally friendly as others. Those monies are supposed to go into technologies to help us reduce these gases, key words, supposed to. CO2 being the one greenhouse gas we produce the most of worldwide..

Like it or not that's the facts. Now do you agree on how the Gov't is handling this? Different story.

Just by turning off a fan in an unoccupied space, a light not being used, using more efficient devices and turn them off when not in use would save a pant load....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post

Fake? I don't think so, a look at our polar ice melting and sea levels rising is pretty good evidence.
    Like it or not that's the facts. Now do you agree on how the Gov't is handling this? Different story.

Just by turning off a fan in an unoccupied space, a light not being used, using more efficient devices and turn them off when not in use would save a pant load....
    There is not really debate as to weather or not Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas or if our activities are raising the earth's avg temp. The debate is how we deal with it/ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but seeing you've been in automotive field since before catalytic converters, and I know from other posts you are in WI, did you used to work at AMC when they were still around?

lol...nope! Worked ON a bunch of AMCs but I never worked FOR them!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

My thought's on this.... Let's cut down thousands of trees so we can build houses and freeways. This is why CO2 is constantly rising. I think there should be a plan where if you have to cut down trees you should have to plant double what you cut down. But then there will always be another group that will create some other thing to worry about and cost us taxpayers more millions of dollars.
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

I really just want to see our tax dollars going to use on maintaining our roads and the like instead of paying millions of dollars for some piece of crap art that doesn't even represent anything other than an "emotion" that only the artist understands. As for the c02 my thoughts are the earth has survived this long through nuclear bombs and everything else, one person cutting down on their c02 output wont make a difference. And believe me, there will always be enough trees to torture people like me during allergy season.

These nitro rc cars and their unregulated exhaust emissions are going to ruin the planet. (read that part with excessive amounts of sarcasm) I wonder if I can use the rest of my nitro in my generator at the race track to charge my batteries faster?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    These nitro rc cars and their unregulated exhaust emissions are going to ruin the planet. (read that part with excessive amounts of sarcasm) I wonder if I can use the rest of my nitro in my generator at the race track to charge my batteries faster?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    lol if that's true and you want to stop global warming just kill me. lol

More and more I get the idea that basing lawmaking (the kind that decreases my wallet contents) on the assumed influence that people have on climate is not a good idea because there is a lack of proof and some "facts" are even simply false.

For example: Stating that melting of the arctic ice increases seawater level. Archimedes already discovered quite a while ago that this is nonsense.
    Besides that there is discussion about the amount of loss of arctic sea ice compared to gain of antarctic sea ice. Even on the NASA website you can find articles that say the antarctic ise is gaining faster as well as the opposite.
    Nobody is born with experience