TRX-4 Battery Options

Hey guys.

Looks like the TRX-4 will do 2s and 3s packs.

Anybody have any specs on the TRX-4 battery tray?

I have several Onyx 6400mah 3s packs I am hoping to run for super long run times on the trail with this scale crawler!

Wondering if the Traxxas 3000mah NiMH packs will work as a back up?

Thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Hey guys.

Looks like the TRX-4 will do 2s and 3s packs.

Anybody have any specs on the TRX-4 battery tray?

I have several Onyx 6400mah 3s packs I am hoping to run for super long run times on the trail with this scale crawler!

Wondering if the Traxxas 3000mah NiMH packs will work as a back up?

Thanks
    I wouldn't suggest to run the biggest battery. Since it can add much more weight then you need. Will enable crawler to do what it does best if too much weight is added to the front or rear. Find the perfect balance. IMO. 5000 man 3s is large enough. i run small packs at a time. Trust me it does a world of difference.
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

RC Competitor
    Ive never run anything on 3 s is it really a big difference from running 2s? I have a few 2 s batteries

I have two 3s packs 6400mah and they are not going to waste haha, I am OK with a little extra weight I am not competing.

Just hoping they fit the TRX-4 battery compartment.

Anybody have specs on the battery compartment, it would be appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    On the pictures and info they say you can run a 2 and 3 s battaries and since it is traxxas they are talking about there own brand and also that size battaries in the batterues tray

RC Champion
    A 3s batrery barelt weighs more than a 2s. Its hardly a comp truck. In some paraphernalia i read on 3s 5000mag it will run for 2 hours roughly. Happy days !
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

Can't be that much difference in 3S 6400mah and 3S 5000mah?

Thinking (hoping) the onyx 3S 6400 packs fit.

It looks like they have included Traxxas' new battery system, which clips in the battery and is easily adjustable for different battery types.

It also looks like there is an insert tray for smaller packs.

Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    A 3s batrery barelt weighs more than a 2s. Its hardly a comp truck. In some paraphernalia i read on 3s 5000mag it will run for 2 hours roughly. Happy days !
    My SCX10 and AX10-based scalers both get around 2-3 hours of run time off of a 2S 5000mha, so it is well within reason for this truck to get two hours of run time.

Not sure what exactly you are basing your "Its hardly a comp truck." statement off of. There are a lot of features of this truck that are aimed directly at scale competition, solid axles, frame rails, two-speed transmission, motor-forward arrangement with a transfer case, wheel wells, scale accessories (functional and non-functional), chassis-mounted servo, all of which add points for per SORRCA rules. From what I have seen, the designers had scale comps very much in mind when they designed it. The only thing really missing is a scale interior.

Until we get our hands on it, we can only speculate as to how it will handle on the rocks. But, most scale guys I know think this will run circles around what is offered on the market right now for class 2. The biggest question here is how the 2-speed transmission and portals will stand up hard crawling. If they are reliable, I am pretty sure this will become my comp rig and my SCX10 will get sold, or turn into a project rig.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-07-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    I was quoting what i read in an article about the run time on a 3s 5000mah. As for hardly a comp truck, look at the sheer length and bumper overhangs. It will ground very easily on approaches. I want one yes, but not until the first few have any potential problems ironed out.
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

RC Competitor
    While ive never had a crawler before im in on this 1 because it looks like what i believe to be the first crawler that i think will be a very good 1. There are quite a few that are more scale and quite a few that will probably go faster in rough terrain but as great scott said this is the first 1 that i think will do very well in comps. I think traxxas has put a lot of serious time and developement into it and think it will show. I was almost in on the scxii but felt it was too narrow

RC Competitor
    Just so every one knows was able to see a package for 1of these and it said it came with no battery so preorders might want to include 1 if you dont have any

Thanks for sharing this note.

Anybody know if the TRX-4 can use the common 3000mah Traxxas NiMH packs?

Thanks for sharing this note.

Anybody know if the TRX-4 can use the common 3000mah Traxxas NiMH packs?
    Judging by the battery compartment, yes it should be able to use them. I'm not sure why you would want to use them, but you should be able to.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Judging by the battery compartment, yes it should be able to use them. I'm not sure why you would want to use them, but you should be able to.
    As a backup on the trail I guess worse case ya know.

More concerned on if 6400 mah 3s pack will fit haha.

As a backup on the trail I guess worse case ya know.

More concerned on if 6400 mah 3s pack will fit haha.
    Oh ha ha ha makes sense. I'm got two 8200 mah 2s lipos, and two 7600 mah 2s lipos that I plan to use. I've driven a many scalers on 3s, and well 3s is too much 95% of the time.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Oh ha ha ha makes sense. I'm got two 8200 mah 2s lipos, and two 7600 mah 2s lipos that I plan to use. I've driven a many scalers on 3s, and well 3s is too much 95% of the time.
    I'm hoping I can run 3s, and use the traxxas app on my phone to dial it back some for technical playing. It's been over a year since I dusted any of my rcs off. I can't remember what sort of control I had over such things with the tqi/traxxas app. I believe I could adjust throttle sensitivity.

Eventually it will have a fully programmable Castle esc and I will have the field programmer for adjusting on the fly.

Y'all remember though, it's a new each with a couple new profiles. We don't know what profile has been in use on the videos.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    I got this set of Venom 10500mAh 3S batteries for my X-Maxx: https://smile.amazon.com/Traxxas-RC-...nom+lipo+10500

If these could be fit into the TRX-4, I think it would never stop running, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I'm hoping I can run 3s, and use the traxxas app on my phone to dial it back some for technical playing. It's been over a year since I dusted any of my rcs off. I can't remember what sort of control I had over such things with the tqi/traxxas app. I believe I could adjust throttle sensitivity.

Eventually it will have a fully programmable Castle esc and I will have the field programmer for adjusting on the fly.

Y'all remember though, it's a new each with a couple new profiles. We don't know what profile has been in use on the videos.

Right the Traxxas app! Yes hoping there will be configurable setting for the TRX-4, like switching ESC modes/profiles too!

The new XL-5 HV electronic speed control brings 3S LiPo capability for stronger, more efficient running. New speed control profiles have been added for smooth and precise control. A new Trail profile facilitates smooth driving for most of your adventures, while a new Crawl profile introduces hill hold and instant reverse for extremely technical courses. Either will help you navigate obstacles with ease, right from the start. Long run times, up to 2 hours, are possible with a Traxxas 3S 5000mAh iD LiPo battery pack!

I think I read about a drag brake too, for downhill crawling.
    Last edited by jeteffect; 05-11-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Drag brake is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Drag brake is a must.

It is included in the ESC right? I didn't dream that I read that right haha??

Yes, it says it's already programmed in.