RC poster

What motor and esc combo should I buy?

I already purchased my Ford GT and I have a group of friends that will also be purchasing one. Everybody will be upgrading to brushless systems and bigger batteries but I want mines to be faster than all of theirs. So my question is, what's the fastest motor and esc that y'all know of? We're basically gonna be drag racing so I'm looking for straight line speed. I need good acceleration and good top end speed. I know gearing plays a major factor but I wanna get the baddest brushless system plus different gears. Any opinions??? I have an upgraded off-road buggy that goes about 50 or 60mph and I want the Ford GT to be faster than that.

RC Enthusiast
    Will it even fit a 3s 5000MAH Battery? the compartment doesnt look like it will... Im thinking 2s only probably

RC Qualifier
    somebody posted a video of a Castle 7700kv motor on 2s and said maybe 50mph. but if you go 3s battery, then that motor may not work. i have a HobbyStar 4600kv that i was thinking of using on 3s, but that might still be too high for the voltage. if so, then i also have a 2600kv motor to try. it's going to be tough to answer until some of the really experienced guys on here get their hands on it.
    from the video with the 7700kv, he says they only have one spur option, and there is limited pinion size that fit. but hopefully somebody design a better motor mount and Traxxas gives us other spur options. or better yet, somebody needs to figure out how to get a slipper clutch in there and use the 32p SL4SH spurs.

RC Qualifier
    You might be able to shoehorn a castle 2200kv in it.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Qualifier
    it won't fit a 3s, but i'm sure i could mod some velcro straps in place of that fancy new battery clip.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    it won't fit a 3s, but i'm sure i could mod some velcro straps in place of that fancy new battery clip.
    The GT's battery tray is 158mm long and up to 26mm high. That's big enough to accept a 5000 3s LiPo or the 7600 2s LiPo.

RC Qualifier
    well i'll be dern. it might fit... i can't wait to get my hands on one of these and start to hop it up...

RC Qualifier
    here is a video already modding the spur gear. to fit massive gearing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lL7RHYOtA

RC Qualifier
    That's insane speed.

RC Enthusiast
    Well it looks like one can fit a 3s into it. I also have a castle system on standby to go into this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZK4RJUAikc

so i guess 1/8 scale motors do fit...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGuy026 View Post
    Will it even fit a 3s 5000MAH Battery? the compartment doesnt look like it will... Im thinking 2s only probably
    It can fit a 23mm battery or a 26mm if you spin the strap around

RC poster
    somebody posted a video of a Castle 7700kv motor on 2s and said maybe 50mph. but if you go 3s battery, then that motor may not work. i have a HobbyStar 4600kv that i was thinking of using on 3s, but that might still be too high for the voltage. if so, then i also have a 2600kv motor to try. it's going to be tough to answer until some of the really experienced guys on here get their hands on it.
    from the video with the 7700kv, he says they only have one spur option, and there is limited pinion size that fit. but hopefully somebody design a better motor mount and Traxxas gives us other spur options. or better yet, somebody needs to figure out how to get a slipper clutch in there and use the 32p SL4SH spurs.
    Ya I put a 3s in there the 50 went way up. Can't wait for some one to release a different motor mount.

RC Qualifier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZK4RJUAikc

so i guess 1/8 scale motors do fit...
    Was hoping to see it run

RC Qualifier
    me too. but the one with the modded spur has some running video and looks ridiculous and they say they never hit full throttle...

RC Qualifier
    I saw that one. That video makes it look like maybe this car won't handle being overpowered as well as I thought it would be. For granted better tires and shocks would of helped. I'm hoping a optional spur will come available. I want to drop my vxl motor from my Slash in it but don't want to go to crazy on gearing like they did in that video.

The VXL would probably be a really good motor for the GT. Good size and probably wicked fast on 3S.
    "Gone racing"

RC Qualifier
    That's what I figured. Get about 45mph out of it and I'm good lol. Size is the reason I'm picking this over the xo1. I just wonder how the stock vxl-3 will hold up on 3s in this car. It gets a little hot in the Slash.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    I just wonder how the stock vxl-3 will hold up on 3s in this car. It gets a little hot in the Slash.
    This is much lighter and more aerodynamic than a Slash. You really shouldn't have any problems.

That's what I figured. Get about 45mph out of it and I'm good lol. Size is the reason I'm picking this over the xo1. I just wonder how the stock vxl-3 will hold up on 3s in this car. It gets a little hot in the Slash.
    I agree, the VXL is a great motor, but a bit undersized in a Slash. Much better in a 1:10 on road car like the GT
    "Gone racing"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    I agree, the VXL is a great motor, but a bit undersized in a Slash. Much better in a 1:10 on road car like the GT
    Which is exactly why I'm relocating it to the GT. My GT will be re powered with in 24 hours of ownership

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    This is much lighter and more aerodynamic than a Slash. You really shouldn't have any problems.
    I agree! This thing will weigh 3.2 lbs stock compared to a Slash 4x4 at almost 6 lbs! That Velenion should be a great fit!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Was hoping to see it run
    He has a second video of it running in a parking lot

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    The GT's battery tray is 158mm long and up to 26mm high. That's big enough to accept a 5000 3s LiPo or the 7600 2s LiPo.
    It will fit the Traxxas 3s 5800 but sadly for me it won't fit my SMC 3s lipos. Guess I will have to get yet another battery. Oh well you can never have enough batteries lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlerstein View Post
    He has a second video of it running in a parking lot

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
    Somehow I missed that but man can that thing move. Wonder what his speed was

RC Qualifier

What motor and esc combo should I buy?

It will fit the Traxxas 3s 5800 but sadly for me it won't fit my SMC 3s lipos. Guess I will have to get yet another battery. Oh well you can never have enough batteries lol
    And because of that I'm going to wait when parts start comin out.

I mean it can barely be driven in a parking lot. I'm not hating I want one but what makes you think you guys are going to get this past 90mph? This thing practically hits 40 and loses traction from a velineon of all motors. Id still want one but speed runs would seem terrible. This would be good for a track car that's all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Dadelvi; 05-16-2017 at 06:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm mainly gonna run my 2s with the vxl but will throw the 3s in it when I just wanna act crazy.

RC Qualifier
    i picked up my GT yesterday and ran a pack through. discovered that it fits really easily into the storm drain. i bet the neighbors think i'm crazy watching me climb down a storm drain to scoop up by new toy.
    today i have a better place to bash, and a 4300kv brushless motor that i dropped in last night. will post up some picks after lunch...

RC Qualifier
    Sucks to hear about the storm drain. Sorry to say I had a chuckle about it because I can see the same thing happen to me.

RC Qualifier

here is my motor/esc crammed into there. i with the receiver mount was not integrated into the servo-mount. i can't move the receiver anywhere, and there is not much room. i'm working on mounting a fan, and some better wheels.

this 4300kv did pretty good with temps on 2s it seemed slightly faster than stock. i kept the same pinion that came with it. 'twas a great way to spend a lunch break. time to re-charge and hit it up again after work...

RC poster
    I ended up putting a Castle 4600kv motor with a Mamba X Esc. I took the battery holder off and added Velcro straps for the 3s. Its really fast but now I'm ready to change the gears but I'm not sure what ratio to go with. Somebody even told me to try a 4s battery but I'm scared Ill fry my motor. The ESC will handle 4s but I'm not sure about the motor.

The VXL System fits like a glove and with stock gearing on 3S this thing is almost too much to handle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gworm97 View Post
    I ended up putting a Castle 4600kv motor with a Mamba X Esc. I took the battery holder off and added Velcro straps for the 3s. Its really fast but now I'm ready to change the gears but I'm not sure what ratio to go with. Somebody even told me to try a 4s battery but I'm scared Ill fry my motor. The ESC will handle 4s but I'm not sure about the motor.

What made you chose that motor? After putting the vxl system into mine I been looking into the Castle 5700kv for mine.

RC poster
    Someone recommended it to me and it's smoking fast but I drag race now so I'm looking to upgrade motors to make it even faster