Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A winch for the TRX-4

I didn't see anything from Traxxas on a winch for the TRX-4, but maybe any after market one will fit?

I've seen many out there with a wide range of prices.

Maybe this would work?

RC4WD 1/10 Warn 9.5cti Winch

http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-War...ch_p_3734.html

Ofcourse then a wired or wireless controller is needed.

A winch for the TRX-4

That winch is a great winch (I have one on my axial rr10 bomber) but you will need to have a 5 channel remote if you want to buy the wired controller to plug into the receiver or buy the wireless controller if you would like to use it remotely. I could also see a 3 position switch mounted on the truck itself connected to the wired controller but that might be a bit awkward to use.
    Last edited by traxxasfan21; 05-11-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Too much power is just enough

RC Racer
    I'm pretty sure many of the after market parts out there will. Or we will be able to make it work with a little customizing. Cant wait for this rig to come out.
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

That winch is ok, but without any upgrades, will get abused by the TRX-4.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Ive been checking bumpers and most seem to be 6-7 " wide which i dont think would look quite as good as the orignal so at this stage im hopeing i can reinforce the stocker to be strong enough to handle winching

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    How about a small esc and a small brushed or brushless motor turned into a winch? Maybe even using something like the tranny from a losi mrc. Or a 1/16 revo tranny with the underdrive mod. Hmm...

Mounted just forward of the shock tower. Run the cable through the fairlead molded into the bumper. It might be possible to hide it all and keep the dummy winch. Of course there is the issue of controlling it but that's another topic. I have an MRC lying around in pieces, including its very tiny esc. And a 1/16 velineon esc.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 05-12-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Wow u guys are serious!

Haha I would be looking for plug n play winch and controller. Easy install, fits well and works for the occasional required winch session.

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    How about a small esc and a small brushed or brushless motor turned into a winch? Maybe even using something like the tranny from a losi mrc. Or a 1/16 revo tranny with the underdrive mod. Hmm...

Mounted just forward of the shock tower. Run the cable through the fairlead molded into the bumper. It might be possible to hide it all and keep the dummy winch. Of course there is the issue of controlling it but that's another topic. I have an MRC lying around in pieces, including its very tiny esc. And a 1/16 velineon esc.

That is what I am using for two of my RCs, and another used an 1/18 scale ESC to drive a Warn 9.5 CTi with an upgraded motor.

The biggest problem with using an 1/18 scale transmission is finding a place to put it, it is giant. Later I'll post some pics of how I have them set up.

I don't remember the mrc tranny being very big, but it's been ages since I messed with it. Think just a low kv 1/18 brushless motor would have enough muscle, with no gearing?

If this thing proves to need some extra forward weight, this could be a good way to add it and get functionality from it. I probably have enough parts kicking around to make it happen.

I don't remember the mrc tranny being very big, but it's been ages since I messed with it. Think just a low kv 1/18 brushless motor would have enough muscle, with no gearing?
    Not really, even the brushed motor in the Warn 9.5 winch has a little gear box in there. An ungeared motor would be hard to control at speeds low enough to do you any good. A brushless motor would have to be sensored, unsensored it would cog like a bad dog.

Here is one of my 1/18 transmission winches:

Here it is with the overall chassis shown (WB = 14"). Without significant modification of the front bumper, it would be just too big, and it would look goofy. Forgive the wiring mess, this picture was taken just after I gutted the electronics out of it and was reinstalling everything.

If this thing proves to need some extra forward weight, this could be a good way to add it and get functionality from it. I probably have enough parts kicking around to make it happen.

Most likely it will benefit from some weight added up front, but with the motor-forward design, it might not. I have added 3oz to my Rock Beasts for the front tires, guessing this is a good place to start.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-12-2017 at 06:13 PM.

The brushed motor in the warn looks to be a tiny little motor though. I'm talking about a 370 or a 380 motor. But you're still right just the same I'm sure.

I still think I could stuff it between the shock tower and the bumper. Lol

Hoping there is a specific winch and remote system that could be installed on the TRX-4 with little to know mods needed.

What are the chances of that ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Hoping there is a specific winch and remote system that could be installed on the TRX-4 with little to know mods needed.

The warn winch with remote is about as close as you're gonna get I think! It's a very simple install.

RC Competitor
    My winch and wireless remote showed up today now i just need a truck to put it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Solo1 View Post
    My winch and wireless remote showed up today now i just need a truck to put it on!
    Which winch and remote did u get exactly and is it for your pre ordered TRX-4?

Typically where does the winch get power from? Lead from a 2s or 3s lipo?

Thanks
    Hope it fits!

You have a couple of options. Straight out of the box, you could go with a RC4WD Warn Winch and wireless remote. The remote is just a little key fob that you Velcro to the radio.

After that you would need more channels on your radio. I am planning on using my DX5R for this rig, I will need to get a Summit servo controller to have the diff lock servos on the same channel, and have one freed up for the winch.

Here is a video of mine that I shared on another TRX-4 thread, but really belongs on this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu0i-HsTWM&t=594s

Man, even if the TRX-4 gets released on time, that has to be a killer to see it sitting there. What one did you get?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

Man, even if the TRX-4 gets released on time, that has to be a killer to see it sitting there. What one did you get?
    I got this http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-War...ch_p_5120.html with the wireless remote and an extra hook and large shovel anchor

Great info! And the shovel anchor makes a lot of sense especially for lone trail runs.

I understand the winch connects to a winch controller, then there is a connection to power. Is power usually plug n play into a lipo balance lead?

Anybody had the guts yet to order a winch setup right now, and assuming it will fit the TRX-4?

According to photos, the prop winch may be removes for room for a Warn or mini warn!

I understand the winch connects to a winch controller, then there is a connection to power. Is power usually plug n play into a lipo balance lead?
    Check out the link below, it has the single channel remotes and the receiver controllers. The controller plugs into your RX for power, and the winch plugs into the controller. This is the plug-n-play setup. For better power, and so that I doesn't tax the ESC's BEC, I will most likely install a Castle BEC to power the winch.

http://store.rc4wd.com/110-Warn-Winc...rts_c_329.html

An anchor and snatch block are fun accessories to have. They have them on the RC4WD page as well, plus there are a few other companies that make them. The trick is to find a way to attach it to your rig so that it is not all that annoying to get on and off.

Here is how I attached the anchor to my Wraith. I made a bracket for one end, and just used a post with a chassis clip for the other:

Tow ropes are something else you will want to put on your rig, here is a video I made for making them. I make a lot of these and give them away at our comps and get-togethers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIk2SnM7eHc&t=748s
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-13-2017 at 11:16 AM.

I think if the winch isn't gonna be just for show, a land anchor is going to be a MUST! Just like for 1:1 wheeling with a winch. If you have nowhere to attach it it's useless. Or you can stick to HOG recoveries. Lol

I got this http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-110-War...ch_p_5120.html with the wireless remote and an extra hook and large shovel anchor
    Shouldn't ever have any trouble bogging that one down!

I'll either build something with parts I have, or go with a cheapie winch and use a snatchblock.

Haven't folks modified high torque servos to be a winch?

Haven't folks modified high torque servos to be a winch?
    Yup, that is what I have installed on that Wraith. It's ok, it works, not the best I have used, not the worst. You can buy ready-made servo winches, or you can modify a servo yourself. YouTube has lots of tutorials on how to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

""The front bumper is designed to be compatible with many popular off-road accessories.""

Which winch, controller and accessories did you order exactly for your TRX-4?

A winch for the TRX-4

If you do get a RC4WD winch, recommend replacing the hook. The one that is included is ok, but tiny, and it really makes it a challenge. Also, they have a scale latch on the hook that looks cool, but makes it VERY annoying to try to unhook from anything. HR makes a good replacement hook, if you want to a bit beefier, a company called "Monster Hooks" makes a good one.

On the left is the stock hook with the latch removed, the middle one is a Monster Hook, and the right a HR hook. HR hooks also are available in several colors.

Greatscott - thanks!!

I'd like to order a winch and everything I need for it, and hope it fits the TRX-4 when it arrives, since mine is on pre-order.

I will certainly take a look at a hook upgrade for it.

Thanks!

With a little imagination...anything fits!

RC Qualifier
    Scale winches are cool but I'll probably go with a servo winch. Just gotta figure out how to mount it lol.

Zip ties. Haha

RC Competitor
    Which winch, controller and accessories did you order exactly for your TRX-4?
    A pic on my slash,rc4wd large shovel,monster hook

A pic on my slash,rc4wd large shovel,monster hook
    How do you have the power connected? Direct to receiver, or to a balance lead on the battery?

Also was any modifications to a connector needed on the warn controller to get power?
    Thanks!

The wireless controller you've posted says it can run on 6v to 11.1v. What that means is you can use a jst plug and plug into the receiver, or you can go direct to 2s or 3s power from the battery, if the winch motor is capable of that voltage.

What this tells me is you have some options. I used to wire ESC and motor fans to plug into balance leads on batteries. I would buy balance tap adapters or extensions off eBay stupid cheap and strip the appropriate plug off the adapters to wire my fan wires to. Then it would plug right into the balance taps. A few times I even just stripped the pins out of the connectors and had a pin on each fan wire, and plugged the male pins into the female balance plug on the battery. I did that when I was using a fan for 4s or more. I could plug the fan into the appropriate points on the balance plug and only pull 11 volts.

I haven't seen what sort of plugs and adapters come with it. It may already have plugs that will attach to balance taps. I just don't know anything about how that works with traxxas's new batteries with the tap built into the connectors.

RC Competitor
    If you buy this with your winch jeteffect you will be plug and play http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEUHS&P=7

And that's cheap 'nuff!

Thanks guys!

Although looking at the photos and location of front bumper and receiver box on e TRX-4, the 9 inch extensions may be best.

Great info for us newbies thanks!

RC Competitor
    You get about 18" total of wire with the winch and receiver so you guys know . Im planning on velcrowing the receiver to the inside of the windshield or roof to try to keep it dry also wrapping in gorilla tape
    Last edited by Solo1; 05-15-2017 at 01:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    If you go with the Rc4wd wireless winch controller be careful when running 3s. It says it'll handle 11.1 volts but my fully charged 3s popped mine instantly. I had to run it off a bec.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
    If you go with the Rc4wd wireless winch controller be careful when running 3s. It says it'll handle 11.1 volts but my fully charged 3s popped mine instantly. I had to run it off a bec.

A good reason to connect direct to receiver! Thanks for sharing this!

You get about 18" total of wire with the winch and receiver so you guys know . Im planning on velcrowing the receiver to the inside of the windshield or roof to try to keep it dry also wrapping in gorilla tape
    Really, ok so the 3 inch can be used really to be a connector converter I guess.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast