RC Competitor

Well, 10 packs into My Platinum and here's my observations

As some may have read I have recently gotten back into the hobby with a new Plat 4x4. After having 10 packs ran through it here are my observations...
    Let me say that the truck is STOCK, minus the following:

-2.2 Badlands
    -Savox Servo (1258TG)
    -STRC Bell crank (mixed with stock arm)
    -15t pinion (up 2 teeth from stock) and stock 54t spur
    -Runs only on Gen Ace 2C 5000 mah batteries
    -Traxxas ESC fan
    -RPM front arms

I live on a few acres of hard, loose sandy soil. Mix that with the lack of rain that Florida has had and throw in a bunch of dead grass. The stock tires with the STOCK suspension settings made for okay handling but more often than not it would spin out as I let of of the throttle. I played with the sway bars as well as the shock placement on the arms/towers. Wound up turning the spring collars half way down on all 4 corners, and moved the top shock mount to the outside hole. I left the bottom in the factory location as they tend to rub the sway bar mounts with the RPM arms if I moved them in. The rear shocks I have yet to move. Much better but wanted to see what the hype was about regarding the Badlands. I picked up a set of the 2.2 SC size (stock) and away we went. Much better!! In Fact I am working of taking some bite out of the front end because as it sits, it will roll as soon as there is a drastic throttle transition. Worked on the sway bars more and it's improving. Ultimately I'll put Vg or Losi springs on it and change the oil

With the 15t pinion I am running on the edge of what most think is too hot at 175 degrees on a 95 degree florida day. That's with an old clip on heat sink too. My finger is buried 75% of the time with the other part feathering the throttle. The speed change from the 13t is rather impressive for only 2 teeth. The plan is to upgrade (I had another thread going) and put the Traxxas stuff in a vintage RC10T build. I am certain that in a light, 2wd truck, the VXL combo will fly! Anyway, I can't see going to a 3c anytime soon. The truck is almost (i said almost...) too fast for what I want to do,which is still bash but do it without thrashing the thing. I will also race in a local Slsh 4x4 Class. BUT....I'm still going to pick up an 1/8th scale setup just for giggles. And maybe just one 3c pack lol....
    I'll pick up a lower KV SC 1/10 scale motor as the truck IMO needs more torque as well.

On that 15t pinion I get about 18-19 minutes of hard running. On the stock gearing I'm at 23-24 minutes, and that may be stretching it. Not sure if that's good or bad but it's what I get.

I never ran the truck with the stock servo or the stock bell crank. Thanks to this forum I read about the short comings of the factory stuff and upgraded before I ran it. I can't believe how well the thing turns! Reminds me of my old Yokomo YZ10 (yes I'm that old lol). That thing was literally point and shoot and this Slash is close to being the same.

To say that I'm pleased would be an understatement. I'll be adding hop up parts as I break the stock ones i.e MIP X Drives, battery hold down, etc.

Off to clean it up....

Tony

RC Competitor
    Nice write up Tony. I just purchased 2 slashs for my boy and I and regret not getting 2 platinums. They run great but it bothers the crap out of me that im going to end up upgrading anyway. Can I ask where in Florida you are? I'm in the orlando area.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GabesDad View Post
    Nice write up Tony. I just purchased 2 slashs for my boy and I and regret not getting 2 platinums. They run great but it bothers the crap out of me that im going to end up upgrading anyway. Can I ask where in Florida you are? I'm in the orlando area.

LOL me too. Lake Wales. Take 4 to 27 and go south. I work on Idrive

RC Competitor
    I had a buddy that lived in lake whales. He's since moved up north. I live in hunters creek on John young over by 417. We should get together and bash sometime.

RC Competitor

Truthfully, I think you made the right decision. There are better options for the Slash than what comes with the Platinum. They just kinda point us in the right direction.

RC Competitor
    I had a buddy that lived in lake whales. He's since moved up north. I live in hunters creek on John young over by 417. We should get together and bash sometime.

Heck ya! That would be sweet. I live on a bunch of property and am considering building a "track". But for now the only obstacles are those darn oak trees.

My wife and I go to HC often....usually to eat at the Loop

RC Competitor
    Well I purchased the oba from tower because they were out of the regular 4x4's. For what I spent I could have bought a platinum and a tx/rx off ebay. Then when I purchased my son's 4x4 when they came back in stock and that one has the HCG chassis. I didn't know the HCG chassis came with any of the slashers anymore. Either way I would have preferred to platinum's. The Oba body was never even used it sitting in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by yellowhorse7 View Post
    As some may have read I have recently gotten back into the hobby with a new Plat 4x4. After having 10 packs ran through it here are my observations...
    Let me say that the truck is STOCK, minus the following:

-2.2 Badlands
    -Savox Servo (1258TG)
    -STRC Bell crank (mixed with stock arm)
    -15t pinion (up 2 teeth from stock) and stock 54t spur
    -Runs only on Gen Ace 2C 5000 mah batteries
    -Traxxas ESC fan
    -RPM front arms

I live on a few acres of hard, loose sandy soil. Mix that with the lack of rain that Florida has had and throw in a bunch of dead grass. The stock tires with the STOCK suspension settings made for okay handling but more often than not it would spin out as I let of of the throttle. I played with the sway bars as well as the shock placement on the arms/towers. Wound up turning the spring collars half way down on all 4 corners, and moved the top shock mount to the outside hole. I left the bottom in the factory location as they tend to rub the sway bar mounts with the RPM arms if I moved them in. The rear shocks I have yet to move. Much better but wanted to see what the hype was about regarding the Badlands. I picked up a set of the 2.2 SC size (stock) and away we went. Much better!! In Fact I am working of taking some bite out of the front end because as it sits, it will roll as soon as there is a drastic throttle transition. Worked on the sway bars more and it's improving. Ultimately I'll put Vg or Losi springs on it and change the oil

With the 15t pinion I am running on the edge of what most think is too hot at 175 degrees on a 95 degree florida day. That's with an old clip on heat sink too. My finger is buried 75% of the time with the other part feathering the throttle. The speed change from the 13t is rather impressive for only 2 teeth. The plan is to upgrade (I had another thread going) and put the Traxxas stuff in a vintage RC10T build. I am certain that in a light, 2wd truck, the VXL combo will fly! Anyway, I can't see going to a 3c anytime soon. The truck is almost (i said almost...) too fast for what I want to do,which is still bash but do it without thrashing the thing. I will also race in a local Slsh 4x4 Class. BUT....I'm still going to pick up an 1/8th scale setup just for giggles. And maybe just one 3c pack lol....
    I'll pick up a lower KV SC 1/10 scale motor as the truck IMO needs more torque as well.

On that 15t pinion I get about 18-19 minutes of hard running. On the stock gearing I'm at 23-24 minutes, and that may be stretching it. Not sure if that's good or bad but it's what I get.

I never ran the truck with the stock servo or the stock bell crank. Thanks to this forum I read about the short comings of the factory stuff and upgraded before I ran it. I can't believe how well the thing turns! Reminds me of my old Yokomo YZ10 (yes I'm that old lol). That thing was literally point and shoot and this Slash is close to being the same.

To say that I'm pleased would be an understatement. I'll be adding hop up parts as I break the stock ones i.e MIP X Drives, battery hold down, etc.

Off to clean it up....

Tony
    I am happy that you are enjoying your truck! They are a lot of fun out the box. When you get the need for speed we will be here to help you in spending your money
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!