RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Typical M41 issues? What mods are "needed" and what to watch for? Consindering one...

So,

I haven't been playing with my RCs as much lately. Have a fleet of off road vehicles and all of them do 50mph+, so I'm used to excessive power and speed. But, I've only ever had 2 boats - the Blackjack 9 (catamaran) and Impulse 9 (deep-V) from ProBoat that I normally just run in my pool. The cat is great and I run it on a 2S pack (normally runs a 5 cell/6v nimh) so it's faster than normal and it's a fun little setup and handles fine even with the added speed.

The V is great when going straight but awful when turning. It has an off-set rudder which makes it turn so well on one side that it'll roll itself upside down (which many times also sucks it underwater/submarines it and fills it with water, so when I do flip it upright I also have to open it up and get all the water out). Turning the other way it turns very poorly and the turning radius is 3-4 times the other direction.

I see the M41 also has an off-set rudder and this drives me nuts. I can't imagine it turning symmetrically. I wanted to get some owner opinions on how it seems to do with this? I imagine it will be a little better as a cat won't lean as much in turns which will help with keeping a more consistent amount of rudder in the water (as it inherently will get more rudder in the water when turning one way, and less when turning the other).

Lastly, what are the typical issues people are having? What upgrades are a "must" or "needed?" I see the common ones are separate pickups and cooling loops for the motor and the ESC and a better cooling jacket.

I used to not have a practical place to run a big RC boat (either no space - or no way to retrieve it - thus why I only had pool-sized ones), but my plan is to bring this with my to Laughlin to play with when I go ride my jet ski (and, of course, I can go retrieve it with said jet ski it I need to).

Also, this is probably my first post on here in almost 3 years, so hey everyone! lol

BP
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Competitor
    In my opinion the m41 turns just about equally in both directions, and it turns on a dime. I got water jacket from offshoreelectrics, its the black one with heatsink fins on it. My motor went from being so hot with the stock jacket that i couldnt touch it for more than 3 or 4 seconds to being really cool to the touch.

But having said that i also upgraded the water cooling. You can probably just get a dual pickup rudder and run seperate lines to esc and motor and that would suffice. If i went that route id drill the holes in the rudder slightly bigger. But what i did was run the stock rudder line to just the esc. I added a water pickup from my feilin ft011 to the piece that comes off the transom and held it in place with a small u bolt about half way between rudder and transom. Id show picks if i knew how to do that. But the water pickup i added works so well and dont notice the drag affecting speeds. The water exit from my feilun pickup stays steady stream out the boat at most speeds except for like 25% throttle and slower. The rudder pickup you have to be going a decent speed to see any water exiting with stock setup and even then it would only trickle out. Now that i have the rudder pickup going to just the esc i notice it spits out more cuz there is less water travel before exiting the boat.

Id get some stainless steel tube from LHS if they havr any, mine does. Just get a decent size inner diameter tubeand cut it a couple inches long and then cut a 45deg angle on the end that will be in the water. U bolt it to the rudder piece off the transom. Works great. Or you can find some kits that screw into the transom, same idea as mine but just located in a different spot
    Last edited by BburlTM41; 05-12-2017 at 04:40 PM.

RC poster
    Here a small list of what I do.

Battery placement is important, there alot variables so you will need to adjust coordinately for you.

-Aluminum water jacket for the motor, as stock one leaks. Aluminum one is the length of the motor offers more cooling.

-Imo I go with dual cooling rudder and drill the holes out bigger.
    -Dual port outlet
    -Bigger cooling cooling lines
    -Rc boat blitz adjustable trim tabs I heard these are the best ones that actually help. They will sit flush with the bottom of the boat.(heard others won't)
    -Replacement metal stock prop that balanced and sharpen
    -Bigger and better connector
    - OSE extra cap

If you feel like dumping more money into it, get seaking 180a esc and leopard 4082 motor combo OSE sells for the spartan.
    -OSE strut/cable system

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BP-Revo View Post
    So,

I haven't been playing with my RCs as much lately. Have a fleet of off road vehicles and all of them do 50mph+, so I'm used to excessive power and speed. But, I've only ever had 2 boats - the Blackjack 9 (catamaran) and Impulse 9 (deep-V) from ProBoat that I normally just run in my pool. The cat is great and I run it on a 2S pack (normally runs a 5 cell/6v nimh) so it's faster than normal and it's a fun little setup and handles fine even with the added speed.

The V is great when going straight but awful when turning. It has an off-set rudder which makes it turn so well on one side that it'll roll itself upside down (which many times also sucks it underwater/submarines it and fills it with water, so when I do flip it upright I also have to open it up and get all the water out). Turning the other way it turns very poorly and the turning radius is 3-4 times the other direction.

I see the M41 also has an off-set rudder and this drives me nuts. I can't imagine it turning symmetrically. I wanted to get some owner opinions on how it seems to do with this? I imagine it will be a little better as a cat won't lean as much in turns which will help with keeping a more consistent amount of rudder in the water (as it inherently will get more rudder in the water when turning one way, and less when turning the other).

Lastly, what are the typical issues people are having? What upgrades are a "must" or "needed?" I see the common ones are separate pickups and cooling loops for the motor and the ESC and a better cooling jacket.

I used to not have a practical place to run a big RC boat (either no space - or no way to retrieve it - thus why I only had pool-sized ones), but my plan is to bring this with my to Laughlin to play with when I go ride my jet ski (and, of course, I can go retrieve it with said jet ski it I need to).

Also, this is probably my first post on here in almost 3 years, so hey everyone! lol

BP
    Welcome! I am in SoCal also and go to laughlin to with our jet skis! I will be taking my M41 there and to Parker AZ for camping soon. I use it mostly at the lake across from me for now.

Quote Originally Posted by BburlTM41 View Post
    In my opinion the m41 turns just about equally in both directions, and it turns on a dime. I got water jacket from offshoreelectrics, its the black one with heatsink fins on it. My motor went from being so hot with the stock jacket that i couldnt touch it for more than 3 or 4 seconds to being really cool to the touch.

But having said that i also upgraded the water cooling. You can probably just get a dual pickup rudder and run seperate lines to esc and motor and that would suffice. If i went that route id drill the holes in the rudder slightly bigger. But what i did was run the stock rudder line to just the esc. I added a water pickup from my feilin ft011 to the piece that comes off the transom and held it in place with a small u bolt about half way between rudder and transom. Id show picks if i knew how to do that. But the water pickup i added works so well and dont notice the drag affecting speeds. The water exit from my feilun pickup stays steady stream out the boat at most speeds except for like 25% throttle and slower. The rudder pickup you have to be going a decent speed to see any water exiting with stock setup and even then it would only trickle out. Now that i have the rudder pickup going to just the esc i notice it spits out more cuz there is less water travel before exiting the boat.

Id get some stainless steel tube from LHS if they havr any, mine does. Just get a decent size inner diameter tubeand cut it a couple inches long and then cut a 45deg angle on the end that will be in the water. U bolt it to the rudder piece off the transom. Works great. Or you can find some kits that screw into the transom, same idea as mine but just located in a different spot
    I was thinking of just adding one of those pick up tubes but everyone I talk to says to just do the dual rudder pick up. I was thinking of these because it would give way more water to the motor and esc. I am not worried about a ton of speed out of mine since in stock form it seems pretty quick and gets my heart racing when I pull the trigger lol

RC Competitor
    I love it. It may be too much but it gives me a better piece of mind when i see a steady stream coming out the side. Plus at the end of my runs the hottest thing in my boat are the batteries and they are just barely warm. The motor stays super cool.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BburlTM41 View Post
    I love it. It may be too much but it gives me a better piece of mind when i see a steady stream coming out the side. Plus at the end of my runs the hottest thing in my boat are the batteries and they are just barely warm. The motor stays super cool.
    That's awesome! Anyway you can take a pic of it? Would love to see how you mounted it. I was thinking of doing 2 of those brass pick up tubes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

RC poster

Upgrades till so far

Hi everybody, this is my first posting. I am going to try to post some pics of the mods I did.
    I am waiting for the trimtabs but even without I can say this is a dreamboat. Sorry cannot post pics.
    Last edited by rob58lovesm41; 05-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.

RC Competitor
    Send me a link or info on how to post pics.