Question Hobbywing sct pro esc, Mamba Max Pro, Or different esc?

Im currently looking for a sensored esc to run my new sensored castle 1410 motor. As usual money is always a factor, in this case I would like to keep the total below $100. The hobbywing Xerun sct pro has caught my eye due to the price point, @ $76 multiple places it seems really nice. Everything that I have found so far suggest that is is a great esc for the price. The next option that I am considering is the castle Mamba Max Pro, Although it retails fo $100+, I have found it new a couple local places for around $80-$90. I like the idea of the smart sense to run more efficiently but have heard that it has BEC issues(Im running a Savox 1258 btw). To me it makes sense to run castle+castle but the hobbywing is temptimg because of its promising specs and price point. Are there any other options out there for less than $100?

This would only be ran on 2s lipo on road and light dirt surfaces, if that is a factor.
    its not fun until something breaks

I don't know if you can find it for less than $100 but the new Mamba X is an excellent ESC. I have the new Mamba x with the censored 2400 motor has been a dream to run in my new Ultimate Edition
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

+1 on the MMX ESC. Just got mine installed in my Slash paired with a CC 2200kv sensored motor, smooth as butter.
    "Gone racing"

You'll find people that are partial to one or the other, I'm a castle man myself but will say the MMP has a so-so BEC. I run a separate BEC's with all my MMP's as a choice not always necessity, this however will raise the price point about $20 but you'll never have to worry about it again and the BEC can be used on anyother rc project as well.
    I cant comment on HW as I've never even owned anything with there name on it.
    I have heard there products have improved but there customer service was nonexistent, I've heard a few people say if you buy from the right merchant they will be better at standing behind them.
    My personal choice would be the castle product.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    If you purchase the mmx on tower it ends up at $125 when you use the $15 coupon. If you're a member. If you're not a member add $5. If you use easy pay at checkout it works out to be 3 payments of $41.66

Get the mmx. Customer service is top notch and most members on here can help too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I've been seriously considering getting the HW sct (which as far as I can tell is the "new" SC8) I've ran the old version on many cars for almost a decade without a single problem. New one says it has a 4A bec and adjustable voltage. I'll probably end up picking one up sooner or later,.

Customer service is spotty but at $60, half the price of the CC you can buy 2 and if it ever malfunctions just pretend HW sent you a backup.
    Proud member of the 10+ post club

I have the newer Hobbywing ESC, called the XR8 SCT.

It's a beast, BEC goes up to 7.4v, 6A, so you can drive some ridiculous servos. Does up to 4S. Awesome ESC, and more adjustments than you can shake a fist at. It's basically an 8th scale ESC. It's not waterproof though, really the only downside.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Racer
    Im in the same boat, im going to get the mmx only for future proofing. I have the ET-2400 motor which is sensorless so the mmx will not help me, but one day I do want to go sensored.

RC Racer
    Skyline, what’d you end up with and how do you like it?

RC Qualifier
    I did run a Mamba-X/1410-3800kv setup, switched to the Hobbywing XR8 SCT Pro 140Amp ESC/3660SD G2 4300Kv setup. The Hobbywing setup is much better and smoother in my opinion.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

Skyline, I hope you don't mind me asking an ESC question on your thread. I know it is outside your $100 threshold but I just saw tonight that Hobbywing USA itself has a sale on the EZRUN Max5 for $155 shipped. I have never seen it anywhere near that cheap except for on a China site.

What about the Hobbywing EZRUN Max5? Everything that I have seen or read about indicates it might just be a beast. Anybody put one in a Slash?

-Shack

RC Qualifier
    The Max5 is a very large ESC and is designed for Sub 1000KV motors. I don't know how well it would fit into a Slash Chassis

Yes indeed sir, it is large! But from the specs that HW supplies, it should fit... barely. You can use higher Kv motors with the Max5 as well. Many X-Maxx owners with the stock Traxxas 1200Kv motor have had great results. I could not pass up the deal that HW was directly offering so I will be trying it out in my CC2028 (800Kv) Slash to see how it fares compared to the XLX. Might try one in the latest Slash speed rig mated up to a TPP motor. One thing that I really like about this ESC is its compatibility with the Wifi Express module that HW offers. It allows quick & easy wireless ESC management from a cell phone app which is something that I would actually use.

-Shack

HobbyWing is the most underrated electronics company in all of RC. Give them a shot. You'll be happy.

I typically buy from HobbyWing Direct. They're in the US and have fast shipping and it's often free or reasonably priced.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...iant=270012966
    Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 12-21-2017 at 08:20 AM.

RC Racer
    What are your thoughts on this Hobby Wing model vs the EZRUN WP Sc8?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbp6us View Post
    I'm glad I bought mine. I'll
    Just say that

Quote Originally Posted by Vbp6us View Post
    The XeRun SCT Pro is the better ESC. It can do sensored motors. The SC8 cannot.

I always say buy the best ESC you can afford. That way you'll never outgrow it. And if you're like a lot of others you might put it on another rig at some point.

RC Qualifier
    I run the XeRun XR8 SCT Pro 140A Sensored ESC. I also use the WiFi Express module and Hobbywing is really Underrated and their WiFi Module makes tuning very easy.

The XeRun is their top Level Stuff

I ended up buying the Hobbywing xr8 sct pro. I've been running it for a few months now and it has been fantastic! It has never gotten past 120-130ish for me and those were longer track bash sessions. I would recommend this esc to anyone!
    its not fun until something breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I ended up buying the Hobbywing xr8 sct pro. I've been running it for a few months now and it has been fantastic! It has never gotten past 120-130ish for me and those were longer track bash sessions. I would recommend this esc to anyone!
    I knew you'd love it. More people would love HobbyWing if they simply gave them a try.