RC Competitor

Upgraded ESC/Motor

Has anyone done this yet?
    Is there a big difference??

Is it worth it?

What motor/ESC combo did you go with?

I see the leopard/sea king available but at 1600 Kv vs the stock 1800Kv motor I dont see how you would get more speed without a higher KV motor in the boat...

RC poster
    It just depends on if you think it worth sinking the money into your boat or not.

The seaking/leopard system going to be more efficient system over all.

The stock motor is a 2 pole vs leopard 6 pole. So you will lose tiny bit of top end. But you probably won't notice it when running. You will gain some torque.

RC Competitor
    I thought the stock motor for the m41 was 1600kv?

RC Competitor
    You are correct, my mistake it is a 1600 KV motor....

I like the way the boat runs now... Now if there was an 8s system.... Yay

RC Competitor
    I kinda feel like a boat this big should be a bit faster out of the box. I like it though bcuz mine is stable, never flipped, never hops or feels like the front end is going to just fly up. But feel like it should be a bit faster out of the box.

RC poster
    I bet your in training mode... mine is absolutly a scream right from box on 6 cell lipo

RC Enthusiast
    training mode? explain

RC poster
    The speed control has 3 modes. 1 of them is training mode it only allows half speed for training purposes. Google how to put it in sport mode

RC Competitor
    There are 8s motor and esc configurations that you can install into the boat. Dinamite makes one you can find it on eBay for around 200$. It is a liquid cooled esc that has a built in BEC (from what I remember) but even if it doesn’t all you would need to add is the castle creations external BEC to power both your servo and rx which isn’t a bad idea anyhow considering the castle external BEC is not only a 10amp output but it also has programmable voltage for those high voltage Servos.

I have a spare cc external BEC laying around I thought about installing it in the boat but I decided to wait until I decide to spend the money on a new servo and to see if I’ll even need it or not (depending on which servo I choose)

The hardest part that I found is finding a motor that is 8s capible, also a motor that is the correct KV or similar and a motor that has a 5mm output shaft because most 8s motors are made for a 1/5 scale and obviously that would never fit.

They are out there tho trust me. People run 8-10 and even 12s all the time in their fiberglass “pro boats” which are the same size as the traxxas in most cases.

I agree that the m41 could be faster, but out of the box you really couldn’t ask for much more on 6s. Mine flys and as long as everything is tuned right it should be plenty fast for 80-90% of the ppl out there.

I deffientely feel that the boat can handle more than 6s tho, I feel that 8s would be the sweet spot on a 1600-1800kv motor. I plan on doing this very soon and when it’s done I will post my YouTube videos of it.