The wait is finally over.......VXL System Installed!!!!

Its finally here and it looks way better in person. I already have the new VXL Combo in it and the Traxxas 3S 5000 pack fits with no problem, actually feels like there is a bit of room for a slightly thicker pack.
    I also installed the Savox SC-1251 Metal Gear Low Profile Servo in it. Had to shave a hair off the linkage ball as the screw was touching the servo at full lock.
    Stock 21 Pinion installed for now because I think its going to be plenty fast on the VXL 3S Setup
    I wasn't able to bolt down the esc like the stock one was because the holes on this are slightly bigger than the Xl-5 so I just used outdoor 3M Tape.
    Probably going to run a different body while I dial it in because this GT body is insane!!!

Pics for your viewing pleasure....

Last edited by djmaincheese; 05-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks really good, that system looks as if it were meant to be there!
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait till I get mine to do the same thing. I was planning to use machine screws with the head on the bottom of the chassis pointed upwards and using a nut to hold the esc down. Of course without one in hand that's just a plan. Hopefully mine will be in soon. Looks good though. How do you like that servo over stock?
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

How does it handle with the brushless system in it and a 3s lipo? And, how fast does it go

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    How does it handle with the brushless system in it and a 3s lipo? And, how fast does it go
    Handles great on 3S with stock gearing, the high speed gear may be too much for the tires. I did upgrade the suspension with G-Made 55mm XD Shocks which seemed to help the car from spinning out a bit.

Not sure of the top speed yet but it absolutely hauls, If I were to to guess I would say at least 45 but haven't had a big enough area to run it in yet.

RC Qualifier
    Where did you get the shocks? What weight oil are you using?

If you are getting mid 40s out of yours something must be wrong with mine. I only got 37 out of stock gearing. I agree though much faster and I don't think the tires will hold.

http://www.rcmart.com/diaphragm-shoc...?cPath=389_390

I just used the stock oil that comes in the kit.

I could be totally wrong on the speeds so until i get a gps/speed gun I wont know for sure but it was a huge jump from 2S with the brushed motor to 3S and the VXL System.
    Im not looking for break neck speeds, that's what the XO-1 is for. I would be happy with sub 40's and have it handle great. Guys try to make this thing do insane speeds but need a 1lb weight up front, belted tires and other tricks just to keep the wheels on the ground.

RC Qualifier
    I missed the guess part lol. The 3s Vxl is a pretty big jump. I'm trying for 50 with mine. Like you said anything to extreme might as well get an xo1.

You can find the speed without a GPS.

First you need to measure off a very accurate 100 foot distance and mark it at both ends.
    Get a stop watch and a buddy to time your run.
    Get your car up to full speed and then time how long it takes to travel the full 100 feet from mark to mark.
    Make a lot of runs and take your best time.
    Divide 68.18 by your best time to get MPH.

Example --- 1.5 seconds is your best time. 68.18 divided by 1.5 = 45.5 MPH
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Does it flip over easily at high speeds? I saw a video of a brushless ford gt and it spun out and flipped over quite a bit. It looked painful because the ford gt looks so good. And, how is it on a 2s?

RC Qualifier
    Stock the car handles well. What you might of saw was on doing 60+. That's a bit much for a stock set up. Personally 2s is to slow but it handles and drives well. It really needs a vxl on 3s. It will easily handle 40 no problem. It doesn't flip very easy as long as you don't push it to fast. So far the only time I had a flip was when I was full speed on the sidewalk. I clipped the edge of the grass and went flying end over end.

The guy in the video had a crazy stupid big pinion and was going hard on the throttle.) How do you like the ford gt?

RC Qualifier
    I like the GT for the most part. It drives well. I'm not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. It's by no means the cars fault. I'm just more of an off road guy and this is my first every road car. I'm going to tweak it and get it to run faster. I may feel different about it.

Looks good! Time for some speed runs now.
    "Gone racing"

RC poster
    Honestly I might just put my good old rustler vxl system in there, hopefully most of the parts are interchangeable. The body reminds me of a slash?

Just did a quick run with some foam Tires and hit 34.7 on Stock Gearing with 3S Lipo, will install the High Speed Pinion that comes with the kit and see how much faster it will go. Handles great with these tires, a lot more bite and doesn spin out as easily.

Installed the included Pinion (25T) and managed to hit 40.1
    I think im just going to leave that combo in there because its just manageable and the car is absolutely hauling when it passes you. In a bigger parking lot I may go with a slightly bigger pinion (27) but for a narrow 2 lane street its plenty to handle

RC Enthusiast
    You are going smoke your spur gear real fast with your motor out of alignment,remove the rear cover to fix this issue or modify the cover to fit

Not sure what to tell you smok but the motor is secured to the provided plate and the plate only goes in one way. I have perfect gear mesh and pinion alignment with the spur. No binding what so ever.
    Do you have a GT that you can post a picture of what your motor looks like?

RC Enthusiast
    You can literally see your motor out of alignment, remove the motor shield that covers the wires it will sit flat in the chassis, yours is angled and you do not have perfect gear mash , no I can't post pictures because of the archaic picture posting rules good one for that traxxas

Next, you gotta try a castle system.

I really hope you don't break anything, though. I don't see that many spare parts yet online...

RC Qualifier
    ebay has tons of spare parts/ i already picked up an extra foam bumper so i can chop it to fit under my new body.

Quote Originally Posted by smok3dog View Post
    You can literally see your motor out of alignment, remove the motor shield that covers the wires it will sit flat in the chassis, yours is angled and you do not have perfect gear mash , no I can't post pictures because of the archaic picture posting rules good one for that traxxas
    Maybe you should take it up with the designers because Im have absolutely zero with this car on 3S, No mesh problems no binding and I have run several pack through thing already and the spur gear still looks brand new.

Really, your'e going to sit there and blame Traxxas for your struggle with the rules. They couldn't be any more simple in my opinion. Upload pic to flickr, copy image tag into your thread (640x480p) done!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I just use Tapatalk to post pictures. Makes life easy. It does look like the motor might be tilted some but I think it's just an illusion.

RC Enthusiast
    No it's not an illusion haha bet you didn't even try it with the cover removed haha

RC Qualifier
    a picture may tell a 1000 words, but they are not always true... i would trust he knows what he is doing, as experienced as he is... and after running several packs with no issue, my money is on a photo illusion...

RC Enthusiast
    Ok guys believe what you will , but his gears are not in perfect alignment , I have installed it different ways with 3 different pinions , currently running a 28 tooth in holes J , the rear motor cover hinders proper gear alingment because it doesn't allow the motor to sit parallel in the chassis as you can see from his pictures it's not that hard to figure out

RC Enthusiast
    I have the bigger optional gear they supply with car in mine and it wont bother the tires.

I wouldn't worry about DJMaincheese, I have seen far too many of his builds and everyone of them turn out perfectly! He is an absolute perfectionist and I'm sure he would catch if the gears weren't aligned properly.

Love the wheels and tires. When are you going to post a video?!?!?
    "RED"

RC Enthusiast

Ok here is your proof, with the cover removed, his is misaligned, i will post a pix of it with the cover on if you want

I took the time to mount the esc correctly as a perfectionist would I even made my own convex screws in my dremel to fit and when installed as intended there is no room for the rear cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    And another thing the driveshaft is very close to the esc and I bet will flex enough to hit the esc under vxl power

RC Enthusiast

Smok3, You clearly stated your position in your first post or two. The rest is just about proving that you are right and is not necessary. If his gear strips, then it strips. If it does not strip, then he did it correctly. That is all that needs to be said...
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    There is a legit point in there about the drive shaft being close to the servo screws. When I switched out to xo-1 diffs, I noticed a thin groove cut into my drive shaft where the screw has been rubbing. I wonder if I could use some different screws on that side, or maybe Dremel down the existing ones...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by smok3dog View Post
    You can post pictures on your first post if you prefer. What rules are you talking about?
    You can use Tapatalk on your phone on host pictures on any site and link them.