Aftermarket Shocks

Just finish building and installing my GMade 55mm XD Shocks
    Aluminum threaded body and Cap. Easily adjustable.....
    These things are buttery smooth

RC Champion
    I've got a set of the shorty Big Bores from the Nitro 4-Tec I used to own that will be going into mine, eventually. What HPI VTA wheels do you have there and how well do they clear the rotors and calipers?
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

They are the 31mm Stock Car Wheels with 6mm Offset, Plenty of clearance front and rear, in the process of fitting a Hot Rod GT Body to it

RC Qualifier
    those shocks and wheels look amazing. i have been looking for 31mm rims and tires but all i seem to find are 26mm. i have several rims coming in from china with different offsets to test out. i will have to give these rims a shot.
    and now you got me saving up for those fancy shocks...

RC Qualifier
    Did those 55mm shocks drop your ride height a lot? I just put together a set of Yeah Racing 55mm shocks and they are quite a bit shorter than stock. I measured the pin-to-pin of the stock shock to be roughly 63mm. It seems extremely low with these 55mm shocks, but maybe the G-made one are taller.
    I wonder if any of the 1/16 summit or 1/16 revo shocks would work...
    Last edited by SL4SHGT8BASHER; 06-07-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Traxxas Employee
    Someone's got HPI Vintage tires. I sense a classic build coming...

Some of the 31mm wheels are getting impossible to find, unless you are willing to pay $40 for them. I gave up trying to find 5-spoke 31mm wheels with the 6mm offset. I'll stick to the 26mm and use a thicker hex to get the offset right. I'm in the process of building a Bullitt Mustang clone.

RC Qualifier
    Ebay has lots of 5-spoke 31mm rims with 6mm offset. 8 to 10 bucks for two... D-Compound tires running about $20... so i guess you might be right by the time you add in shipping, they set you back about $40... the chrome rims are pretty steep too.
    i have been using the hexes from a 2wd slash to get the added width on the rear, and experimenting with all sorts of tires.

i discovered that Yeah Racing makes 60mm shocks, and at $25 for a set of 4, i think i will give them a shot... or maybe this car benefits from the lower ride height. i am going to test out the 55mm shocks after work today.

I'd like to see some old fashioned nitro 4-tech shocks on a new one!

Drive yours like it isn't

I just measured the stock shocks with my micrometer and they are 56mm. The XD shocks are a direct replacement and did not lower the car from how it came from the factory. I can post a picture later if you would like to see the size difference.
    They aren't nearly as stiff as the stock shocks but I see now that Traxxas has released different spring rates s that will help if you don't want to spend $50 on 4 new shocks.

I like the threaded body for quick easy adjustment vs the C clips and these are buttery smooth under load. I'm also running a bit more weight with the VXL System and a 3S 5000mah Lipo and these shocks handle it with no issues. Car handles great in the turns and at top speeds, Only managed to hit 41 with the 25t pinion but its almost too fast for my small street i run it on

The stock shock was 1mm longer when I measured the total length.

RC Qualifier
    i think i see what's happening... i used a large c-clip on mine to fully extend the stock shocks. i bet you can pull you stock shaft out a little more that what you have. so i inadvertently raised my car when i inserted the large clips. your arms are running nearly parallel to the ground, but mine are angled down a bit. so i guess i will slap them on and see what happens. the YR shocks have all kinds of options from springs to piston caps. i will post up some pics later tonight when i get off work.
    i will probably still get a set of 60mm YR shocks in case i do want to lift her up a bit... heck, $25 a set is pretty good price...

RC Qualifier

Here is a pic. The stockers are much beefier than these YR ones.
    I put them on but it seems like the car is really low. It barely has 2 or 3 mm ground clearance. I have not run it yet, but I wil shortly...

Yeah those might be a bit low unless your running on a super smooth surface. I see you have them maxed out so there is no way to make them stiffer if need be purely based on the length. You may be better off going with a softer spring for the stock shocks. I'm pretty sure Traxxas will be realeasing a set of GTR Aluminum Adjustable Shocks for this car like they did for the Slash 4X4.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Yeah. I ran a 2s pack just now and it was bottoming out all over the place. I will try the 60mm set. I also found some cheapo Chinese shocks that I will try out too. The stock one are not terrible either... Also working on finding some adjustable turnbuckles to adjust the front toe and camber. I discovered there is a velodrome nearby, so I'm dying to get out there and do some laps...

Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    Yeah. I ran a 2s pack just now and it was bottoming out all over the place. I will try the 60mm set. I also found some cheapo Chinese shocks that I will try out too. The stock one are not terrible either... Also working on finding some adjustable turnbuckles to adjust the front toe and camber. I discovered there is a velodrome nearby, so I'm dying to get out there and do some laps...
    By the time you've spent all this test money you could have a nice set of XD Shocks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Already spotted a set of 62mm gmade shocks for $47 on flea bay. Prolly get those when I get paid. i like options though... The Chinese set is like $12 for all four, so not that big a deal, and the YR set is under like $25. I'm already saving up for a second 4tec too. I might be able to make a small bracket to attach to the shock tower so I can use these short ones. This is a crazy addiction. I want to try and get one into some usgt or VTA racing. But vta is not popular around here.
    Heck, I've probably spent a hundred bucks on tire/rim testing too. Good times...

RC Qualifier
    Got the 62mm shocks installed. Also some adjustable turnbuckles... Fancy. Hopefully the tropical storm gives us good weather in Houston to test out the new setup.
    Back

Front

Back again.

RC Enthusiast
    What turnbuckles did you go with?

RC Qualifier
    I used Lunsford 25mm and rc4wd m3, short rod ends. I think I used 27mm turnbuckle for the steering. I popped out the balls from the stock turnbuckles and used them in the rod ends.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank for the info

RC poster
    Where did you get those tires? They are awesome!!

RC Qualifier
    Those are hpi vta rims and tires. Proline makes a set of vta rims and tires now that is very similar.