RC poster

Traxxas Rustler engine/gear box

Hi All,

My son has a standard Traxxas Rustler. It has been working fine. The car will now not move. The remote communicates fine. If you lift the rear wheels off the ground they work fine & whizz round on command from the controller. But put it down & the car does not move forward.

I have tried tightening & loosening the spring on the spur gear to no effect. As you can tell I've taken off the spur gear & everything looks fine.

It seems that when the car has all four wheels on the ground the spur gear & pinion gear do not go round. When this first occurred the pinion gear would whizz round & the spur gear remain stationary with the pinion gear slipping against the spur gear. Now the pinion gear does not slip against the spur gear & the car does not move.

I don't know what the issue is & before I take the whole gearbox apart I wanted to ask whether anyone has experience of this or any ideas as to what the issue might be.

I'm not really technically minded but have looked at you tube posts of how to take the gearbox apart & think I could do this if necessary.

Your help is much appreciated.

Ok if your pinion, or clutch bell spins and your spur does not, then your either stripped the gears, or your engine is to far away and not touching
    If neither gear is spinning, then your clutch is not working. It is inside the clutch bell, or pinion
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    The pinion gear spins when the engine is not under pressure. The car has not been used that much. I'm not discounting having stripped the gears but it seems unlikely given the usage. The pinion span when the issue first arose,but the spur did not. With the pinion wheel slipping against the spur. As the pinion gear will spin the spur when the engine is not under pressure (ie when the rear wheels have been lifted off the ground) are there any alternatives issues?

Many thanks for looking at my post & taking time to reply. I do appreciate it. I'll strip it down further to see if the gears have stripped or engine has moved.