Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Pictures and Info!

Hey guys, we finally got our demo TRX-4 at my LHS, and I spent most the day tinkering with it and checking it out! I'm amazed at how well built it feels, I really like the little details Traxxas put into this beast.

What I found interesting is that the fake winch Traxxas put on the bumper is attached to it from the back, so when you remove it, there's no sign it was there at all beside the fake fairlead in the front of the bumper.

Overall, I really, really can't wait until I get my personal one in, I've got big plans for it.

EDIT: Looks like Big Squid has plenty more pictures up too.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/the-eagle-...traxxas-trx-4/
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-22-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Competitor
    Great pics..you kniw what battery it comes with

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

^ The TRX-4 doesn't actually come with any batteries, or a charger for that mater.

Driving it around was great, I've never really noticed just how limited having permanently locked diffs were until I drove the TRX-4 on carpet with the diffs unlocked, it turns on a dime! I first drove it on a 7 cell NiMh, and it was actually not that bad. The two speed is what makes it usable, having two speeds gives a better low gear for more torque and power, and switching it into high gear is great for better wheel speed and more trail speed. The locking diffs are great too, It's fun driving it around with the diffs unlocked, it's amazing how well it handles.

Overall, it's awesome, but it has a few limiting factors. First, the body as suspected, weighs a ton. You can feel, and literally see the body's weight throwing the truck around while you drive it. The TRX-4 will benefit greatly from having a body that weighs less. The front bumper is slightly too low, and it's way too wide. It hits on a lot of stuff that you try to crawl over, and it stops you from getting a good approach angle on stuff. A narrower front bumper would help greatly to reduce that. On that note, the rear bumper is the same way. It sticks out too far, just the the SCX10 II's rear bumper does. While it looks great, it's tough to get up steep objects without it catching on stuff.

Lastly, the shocks. The shocks themselves are great quality; they look and feel amazing. However, I feel that they're quite limiting to the truck. IMHO, I feel they're too short. They're 100 mm long, but I feel that the TRX-4 would benefit quite a lot from using longer shocks, like 105 or longer shocks. It's amazing just how much more axle drop you get once the shock is removed. Using a shock like the RC4WD superlift's that are 110mm long would be better IMO.

That all being said, it's a fantastic beast, Traxxas really put a lot of work into it, it's very well done. I can see this thing really taking off, it really puts the SCX10's to shame for how much better this is. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for this thing!

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-22-2017 at 09:49 PM.

cool. thanks for the new pics and info.

this one won't become yours like the x-maxx did when your LHS got the demo in?
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    cool. thanks for the new pics and info.

this one won't become yours like the x-maxx did when your LHS got the demo in?
    Ha ha ha no it won't; when the X-Maxx first came out Traxxas didn't have any rules in place to what LHS's did with their new X-Maxx demos, and that's why so many ended up on ebay right after, and that's also why I was able to buy my LHS's X-Maxx.

This time around, Traxxas has put strict rules in place from prohibiting dealers from selling their demos, even the box has demo on it. This one will stay firmly planted at my LHS.

Nice!! Way to dig right in!!
    Great pics and info!!
    Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; 05-22-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

More pictures for the curious.

Here's ones next to my personal SCX10 II

If anyone wants me to check anything out for you or take more pictures tomorrow just let me know, I'm more than happy to help out.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-22-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Did you see anything on the adjustable wheelbase?
    I am going to have to shorten it up a bit to use my Jeep body...

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    Did you see anything on the adjustable wheelbase?
    I am going to have to shorten it up a bit to use my Jeep body...
    Yes actually, there is plenty of mounting spots to move stuff forward, it should be plenty adjustable thankfully.

I agree, it's going to be tough to mount my Jeep body on it too. The frame itself is too long for the body and you would not only have to remove the rear bumper and mount entirely, I would have to cut about 3/4 inch off of the rear frame rails to have the rear clear. The rock sliders also stick too far out to the side when compared to the Jeep body, so they would have to be removed also. I'm going to do my best to get my Jeep body to fit, but I'm going to make it happen one way or another.

Wolf - awesome write up and photos, as always, great post!!

I'd really like to get your thoughts of running the TRX-4 on any 3s lipo, in both gears. Low for slow slow crawling in particular.... Is it too fast on 3s? And how is it in high gear on 3s vs the NiMH your tried it on already?

Wolf what is the black item on the left of this photo , a tool or spare part?

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Wolf - awesome write up and photos, as always, great post!!

I'd really like to get your thoughts of running the TRX-4 on any 3s lipo, in both gears. Low for slow slow crawling in particular.... Is it too fast on 3s? And how is it in high gear on 3s vs the NiMH your tried it on already?
    Thanks!

3s was quite a bit of power, it's crazy fast in high gear; it's at least in the 10-15 mph range. In low gear it's considerably better, but it still feels like a bit much to me honestly. For me at least, I see the sweet spot being 2s, so you still have a decent amount of punch, but yet you have still controllable power. I'll admit 3s was fun, but I don't think I'd use it for anything other than flat area driving, or possibly on a long stretch of trail.

As for what the black thing is in that bag, well I actually have no idea. I was too excited to see the truck to even really notice that part... I'll find out what it's for first thing tomorrow.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 05-23-2017 at 12:41 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

RC Qualifier
    Wolf what is the black item on the left of this photo , a tool or spare part?

Adjustable body mount I believe.

Just out of curiosity , are the diffs the same as the summit? Wondering if I can drop my spare set of aluminum LEM diffs in there.

With the portal axles whats the overall gear ration in low?

Can you take some measurements of the battery box?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Just out of curiosity , are the diffs the same as the summit? Wondering if I can drop my spare set of aluminum LEM diffs in there.
    No, the TRX-4 has much of its gear reduction in the portal axles, not the differentials. This is what eliminates the torque twist. Consequently the gearing and differential itself are different.

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post

Can you take some measurements of the battery box?
    I don't have the exact measurements but it is designed to fit a 2872X 5000 3s or a 2869X 7600 2s.

It also has an indention to hold the 2200mah 2s or 1400 3s, but you'll need to put some foam under the battery strap to keep the pack in place.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Yes actually, there is plenty of mounting spots to move stuff forward, it should be plenty adjustable thankfully.

I agree, it's going to be tough to mount my Jeep body on it too. The frame itself is too long for the body and you would not only have to remove the rear bumper and mount entirely, I would have to cut about 3/4 inch off of the rear frame rails to have the rear clear. The rock sliders also stick too far out to the side when compared to the Jeep body, so they would have to be removed also. I'm going to do my best to get my Jeep body to fit, but I'm going to make it happen one way or another.
    Doing some rough measurements from the specs I was afraid of the same challenges. I am struggling with the thought of changing things enough that I cannot use the stock body. As I think it looks great. But I have always wanted to make a replica of my 1:1 TJ only black and white rather than chrome and white.

I either need to fully commit right out of the box and save the stock body for down the road or run it till it looks shabby and make the changes then.

What I found interesting is that the fake winch Traxxas put on the bumper is attached to it from the back, so when you remove it, there's no sign it was there at all beside the fake fairlead in the front of the bumper.
    I am a little disappointed with this, I have heard several people say that this rig was winch-ready, so I assumed that there would be mounting holes under the fake winch. Makes me wonder if Traxxas will be coming out with their own.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    I don't have the exact measurements but it is designed to fit a 2872X 5000 3s or a 2869X 7600 2s.

It also has an indention to hold the 2200mah 2s or 1400 3s, but you'll need to put some foam under the battery strap to keep the pack in place.
    Can you indicate if the battery hold down bar can be removed and maybe Velcro be used for bigger packs? ie: 6400mah 3S?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I am a little disappointed with this, I have heard several people say that this rig was winch-ready, so I assumed that there would be mounting holes under the fake winch. Makes me wonder if Traxxas will be coming out with their own.
    Some folks have confirmed there is space for a real 1/10th (maybe bigger) winch there.

I guess it is just a matter of drilling 4 holes to mount say a Warn 1/10 Winch from RC4WD?

Wondering if the plastic fairlead can be cut off or used with the Warn?

I'm not sure why that's disappointing to you. It's soft plastic. Drill your own holes.

Traxxas Employee
    Can you indicate if the battery hold down bar can be removed and maybe Velcro be used for bigger packs? ie: 6400mah 3S?

Thanks.
    There is only one screw holding down the battery strap. I'm sure you could remove it if you wanted, but I cannot imagine needing that much power. I'm just guessing, but you are probably looking at 3+ hours of run time on a 6400. Personally, I would run one 4000 and carry a second in my pocket so you are not weighting down the rig with so much battery weight.

RC poster
    What do you think the timeline is on Proline releasing TRX specific bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
    They're dumb if they're not already working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    I'm not sure why that's disappointing to you. It's soft plastic. Drill your own holes.
    Just an eyeball evaluation here, but it looks the chassis posts are in the way of where the holes need to go for the winch. Might need to make a transition plate to mount it up, or RC4WD will likely make one.

Quote Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
    Most likely they are already working on it. I am guessing that "adjustable wheelbase" means it can be adjusted to that of the SCX10.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 05-23-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Wolf what is the black item on the left of this photo?

I think me and Wolf figured this out when I stopped by for lunch. We believe it is for the adjustable wheelbase. Don't ask me why we didn't pull out the manual and actually figure it out...probably because we both couldn't take out eyes off it or wipe the grins off our faces!

The spare part looks to relocate the body post mount when you use either of the forward two wheelbase positions.
    It looks to me that you swap the upper rear shock mounts from side to side to achieve the 12mm difference between the stock 324mm wheelbase and the optional (Longest) 336mm wheelbase. For short wheelbase move the shock mounts to the holes with the arrows below and swap side to side to achieve the 300 & 312 mm wheelbase(s)

The spare part looked to screw down to the circled area below.

What we didn't figure out was the lower links? Do you just buy/make different lengths?
    Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; 05-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    There is only one screw holding down the battery strap. I'm sure you could remove it if you wanted, but I cannot imagine needing that much power. I'm just guessing, but you are probably looking at 3+ hours of run time on a 6400. Personally, I would run one 4000 and carry a second in my pocket so you are not weighting down the rig with so much battery weight.

Thanks, sounds possible, I like it. Yes, I have two 6400mah 3S packs and I don't want them to go to waste and I'd love to have that much run time on long trail runs I'm already planning on doing.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Its amazing to see traxxas put alot of work and thought into it. Hoping to score on for myself later in the year hopefully. I've said it before, but wonder what else traxxas has up their sleeve. I'm curious what axial thinks about it. I know axial is a completely different market somewhat, but traxxas is onto some possible much better out of the box than a scx10.

RC poster
    I compared it with a SCX10 that has about 2k into it. The margin between that and the stock TRX is not that far off. The ground clearance in the TRX is phenomenal.

Just an eyeball evaluation here, but it looks the chassis posts are in the way of where the holes need to go for the winch. Might need to make a transition plate to mount it up, or RC4WD will likely make one.
    Get a longer drill bit...

Regarding mounting a winch... I did see somewhere in a video that the front bumper posts are in exactly the same location, distance from each other as the Axial SCX10 and these bumpers are interchangeable.

The manual is now available in support.
    If you have read a Summit manual then there is not much more to see/learn.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    The manual is now available in support.
    If you have read a Summit manual then there is not much more to see/learn.
    Can't seem to find it.... Link?

ah not in usual support area, it is available from TRX-4 linked site under support.

Direct link here :

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R00.pdf

Sorry. I should have put link...

No problem thanks for sharing!

I have a copy already printed that I will be going though...

Thanks

The way the RC4WD winch lines up would intfer with the bumper mount posts underneth that bumper's mount spot. Using a self tapping screw, or a longer screw with a nut/bolt would fix it however, so it's no a big deal.

More pictures for the curious.

Here's ones next to my personal SCX10 II

In Comparison of the SCX10 II and the TRX-4 which one looks better built? I eventually want to buy a Crawler. After all my upgrades are done with my other 3 Traxxas'.
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

TRX-4 hands down by the look of things.... Also note plastic parts vs metal out of the box. This was explored in a video I don't have the link to from youtube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast