RC poster

Initial tweeks for my soon arriving slash 2wd

So i bought my son a slash 2wd and had just as much fun with it as he did so i decided to get myself one aswell. But what i noticed driving his is that the handling could be a bit better. I looked around for info on this and believe i found some answers but wanted to double check with you fine folks. So once it gets here ( on teusday) im going to move the rear shocks to the outer most setting and likely replace the shock oil in all four corners with a heavier oil. 50 in the front 60 in the back. After that i need to do some shopping. Looking for suggestions on shock spings and tires that will give me better control and traction.

did you get the brushless version? the brushed version in my option needs very little upgrades. Nothing really seems to break. I have never seen the need to change the shock oil on a new unit. Maybe your headed for some big jumps?

RC poster
    My son and i are just bashers not competitive (maybe a little with my brither who has an armma fury). As for big jumps theres a bmx track we plan on driving on at the campground we stay at several times over the summer. that has some good jumping hills. At home though its just ramming around the yard and the road in front of the house.

RC poster
    Oh and no i didnt go brushless but i likely will by the end of summer

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    The changes you suggest will make that Sla2h's suspension a lot firmer to handle better on the tarmac but not on the dirt.

The progressive springs Traxxas uses give a great deal of realism but not the handling you may want. I use Losi Springs on my Sla2h. They fit right on the stock shocks with no hassle.

Roughish terrain:
    Front - LOSA-5130, 3.2 lb., Silver.
    Rear - LOSA-5158, 3.7 lb., Green.

Smoother dirt:
    Front - LOSA-5132, 3.5 lb., Green.
    Rear - LOSA-5160, 4.1 lb., Blue.

Tires will make the biggest change. In dirt, I use JConcepts Carvers #3050 (ribbed tires) up front. This will add a great deal more steering. For rear tires, it really depends on terrain. Everyone and their brother loves the do-all tire: Pro-Line Trencher #1159-13.

For Asphalt, I like four JConcepts G-Locs #3074.

Adjusting the camber angle and toe on the front tires will also change the steering characteristics of the truck.
    Obstacle Magnet

I would highly recommend the LCG chassis. I HATED the way my stock Slash 2wd drove. But after the lcg chassis it has quickly become my go to. I am still in stock Shocks and springs but I did change the tires to proline badlands which provide a TON of grip.
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC Qualifier
    I'd say go with tires . Find a softer compound tire .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    I would highly recommend the LCG chassis....proline badlands...
    Swampthing hit the nail on the head! The LCG chassis is the number two upgrade. Aluminum castor blocks are first because the stock plastic castor blocks flex, allowing the kingpins to get bent, and that ruins steering. The third is tires.

PL Badlands are fantastic for grass and the really rough stuff. They will be ruined quickly on smooth stuff, especially asphalt. As I said, tire choice is entirely dependent on terrain.

My mind is a bit dull; I'm getting old. Swampthing's mind, however, is still sharp as a tack.
    Obstacle Magnet

Lol, thanks bud!
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

RC poster
    Thx to all of you for the feed back! For preparation in getting my own slash i moved the rear shocks to the 2nd tp last hole and topk all the shock spacers out. I have seen an improvemnt. The lcg will likely be my first.major upgrade. Then tires beimg i already have some picked out. Andjust so ypu all kmow where im coming from. This is to keep me a step ahead of my brother who is planning on getting a hpi brushless.

Please don't forget the #1 upgrade: aluminum castor blocks.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Please don't forget the #1 upgrade: aluminum castor blocks.
    yeah they always break ! if I upgrade these to alloy whats next on the list that breaks? the A-Arms ?

The stock castor blocks don't usually break. They bend. After that, it really will just depend on how you run it into the tree.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Ive had my Slash 2wd for about 3 weeks now and have bent 2 stock shocks, wrecked the rear driver's side A-arm, aaaand, i think thats about it. I run it about 4 hours a day on 2s Lipos (not 4 hours consecutively, of course).

Shocks were replaced with Pro-Line Powerstrokes (front 2 leak) :/ ... theyve held up well under some pretty bad wrecks.
    Just recently went to Velineon brushless and went with the Traxxas steel driveshafts. Have some hexes on order and aluminum castor blocks on order.

A arms were replaced with RPM, havent had any issues. Oh, and i got the STRC Hardened steel pin kit.

I would go LCG to improve handling for sure, but the grass in my yard is pretty tall so i dont think itll work well for me.

mogallo, please be careful running in tall grass. This is one of the top ways to overheat (destroying) electronics.

Take it from an old-timer, mow.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    mogallo, please be careful running in tall grass. This is one of the top ways to overheat (destroying) electronics.

Take it from an old-timer, mow.
    Ty for the warning!! Will heed. I learned my lesson about not listening to old timers.

Quote Originally Posted by mogallo View Post
    Ty for the warning!! Will heed. I learned my lesson about not listening to old timers.
    Sure thing. Never forget. Old age and treachery beat youth and skill.
    Obstacle Magnet