Thread: Traxxas OBA

Traxxas OBA

Im really dig'n the realistic 900hp sound comming from the unit and i'd like to retro fit it to work with my p4de, it might sound a little akward with this truck, but i like it... will i have any problems even though im running my own ESC(HW EZrun WP-SC8 120a) and traxxas standard 2chan only radio?

Thanks
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

it'll work, idk where'd you mount it
    Member of the 100+ post club! Here to mess up!

The OBA unit, on the battery mount bracket with double sided servo tape.... and as for the speakers, im not sure as of yet, or perhaps i'l just go with a slash body and mount where they oringinally go, then to get the mounts for the body, and im set.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Sic 'em on a chicken!

I completely forgot about your thread... thats pretty much what i'd like to do, thanks for the reminder and great job, sounds just like it should.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    I ended up putting this into my little dude's 4x4 vxl but think I'll be removing it. Until I put this in, I wasn't having any heat issues. With it installed, he's hitting temp cutoff within 10 minutes of bashing. The motor and esc are both scorching. Every bearing in the truck has been replaced. The only exception to that are the bearings in the motor.

The problem seems to be the additional weight. From everything I've read, the VXL system is pretty much at it's limits on the stampede 4x4 and the speakers definitely have some heft to them. I'll be popping the speakers off this evening and will see if that helps.

Thanks for the input... i have the XL-5 truck upgraded to VXL diff gears and an aftermarket brushless ESC and MOTOR, hopefully the added weight, which shouldnt be much, wont be a problem for me.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Just picked up a new, and complete OBA unit... now i just need to upgrade to a TQi 3chan radio and a matching 4ch receiver with TSM, im thinking about this radio(pictured), not sure of model number and possibly have TSM active w/o wireless module installed, i dont need it, so will it work like i want?

Last edited by Bige4u; 06-21-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    You can run it without that 3rd channel; you just won't have the "neutral revving".

I realize that... but i like that neutral reving, its part of the package, so why leave it unused.

Im lQQking to order this radio by this weekend... any suggestions on the radio and matching receiver?
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

No matter.. i done ordered that 3ch radio(pictured prior) and the receiver to compliment it, #6533 with 5chan, telemetry and TSM.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

I finally got everything in to get this project going... theres a LHS meet and greet, the last weekend of this month of july, and i look forward to showing it off and surprising a few people.

1. TQi 3ch radio w/multifunction knob, throttle trigger adjustability and bluetooth capable
    2. 5cha receiver w/telemetry and TSM functions
    3. complete OBA kit w/mounting screws
    4. 950ma 30c 2s lipo with JST connector*
    *powers OBA individually

Last edited by Bige4u; 07-01-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Welp... its done, all put together and working, but no road test yet, now all thats needed is to find a place to mount the mini 2s lipo that runs the OBA seperately.

Pic1 - testing
    Pic2 - final assembly

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbU-i538ars
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Thats cool, ive always liked oba too but havent pulled the trigger on it(lol) yet....

93 mph Rustler
    86 mph P4de
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Even cooler that you can basically adapt it to any vehicle and it works as intended.

I decided to eliminate the mini 2s lipo, so now i have the OBA running diectly off the ESC power leads, from the deans plug to a JST connector when using my 3s battery, the max you want to run with the unit... some say up to 6s, but im willing to find out.

Whats next is to mount both speakers like the way it is in the slash body, specially mounted of course... one behind the front windshield and the other behind the back window so that way the engine sound can be heard going away as well and comming back towards you, for now, i just have one speaker thats mounted just under the bed, plenty loud up close, not so much at a distance.

Sorry, no video but finally road tesed... Bige4u approved!

Bashing along @ 30mph...

Lotsa fun, lotsa fun, turning heads left and right, more smiles, more miles.... yahooee!
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

So much for PB picture hosting...
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Finally got an onroad test video made.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRbLTgQE5s
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

FYI... if anyone is lQQking to add the traxxas OBA to their vehicle, the unit can handle up to 6s, i can personally vouch for 4s, another member here in the E-MAXX section installed it in their XO-1 that uses 6s lipos(2x3s).

The power connector from the OBA must be connected directly to the ESC power in leads.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...