RC Competitor

Impressed with my first Traxxas vehicle. The GT is Bonkers !

Hello from Northern Illinois , I've had my blue GT for a couple weeks now and have been out a few times with it and I can truly say I am VERY impressed with my first vehicle from Traxxas. Never used TSM before and was blown away with the performance, I am still rocking the 12T motor... for now. I was out for a while yesterday and ran 2 packs through it, came home and installed the optional 25t pinion. I can't wait for the rain to quit so I can see the speed increase moving up from the 21t.

The body is absolutely bonkers, Traxxas did an amazing job with the attention to scale and detail with it. Its the little things like the brake calipers and rotors being larger in diameter in the front just like the real car.

Anyways thats enough rambling for now, just wanted to say thanks to Traxxas for knocking this one out of the park...Its my first Traxxas and I'll be back for more (TRX-4).
    I am planning on picking up another one this time in red and use that one for drifting.

Scott.

Welcome! Glad to hear youre enjoying it. I kind of want one too, Ive been on the fence about it. Throw a VXL setup in it!! Thats what my plan would be
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    It's a fun little car. I upgraded mine with a vxl system. It was to slow for me out of the box. It's better brushless in my opinion. Oddly enough I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. This is my first on road car and I thought I would enjoy it more. Once aftermarket parts start coming in I will put more power to it but as it sits this will be the first on the chopping block to sell. Don't get me wrong it's a cool car and is fun to drive.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

How fast does it go with a brushless system? And do you run the stock battery, a 2s lipo, or a 3s lipo? And how does it handle with the brushless upgrade?

RC Qualifier
    I have only run it with stock gearing. Brushed I got 25.7 mph on 2s lipo. With the VXL I got 24.5 mph on 2s lipo. I was surprised to lose 1.2 mph. On 3s lipo with stock gearing I got 37 mph. I have not had a chance to run it with the optional speed gear yet. With the vxl I can gear it higher and be okay. It really didn't effect the handling to much. It is a little easier to spin out do to the increased torque. It will actually do doughnuts now which is fun. My goal is to try and get 50 out of this thing. It shouldn't be hard but it's gonna take some time. Going to wait till repair parts are easier to get as well as aftermarket upgrades to handle the increase of power.

RC Competitor
    Looks like Hot-Racing is about to drop some aluminum goodies soon ! http://hot-racing.com/index.cgi?c=1098

RC Qualifier
    That's a good start. I'm hoping a smaller spur, a better driveshaft and shocks come out soon. If the aftermarket is as strong for this as it is the Slash there will be some awesome builds.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    Welcome! Glad to hear youre enjoying it. I kind of want one too, Ive been on the fence about it. Throw a VXL setup in it!! Thats what my plan would be
    I've been looking around reading and watching some videos on brushless systems that people are putting in. I'll prolly give it a month and see what others are doing as for the gearing and the KV. I would be happy topping it out about 50 mph, I'll gladly give up crazy amounts of speed for driveability. I'll leave the high speed for my Arrma Typhon 6s.

Can you control it at high speeds and not just spin out all the time And, does it flip over easily? I saw a video of a ford gt with a 3s and a brushless system and it spun out a lot and flipped over a lot. Though, the guy had a crazy big pinion in and he did some other stuff to have crazy stupid power

RC Qualifier
    At 40 it still handles well. I think the one you saw is of one doing 60. That's a bit much for stock set up.

RC poster
    I have the same Blue GT. I installed the VXL system and used a 7.2 but like the 11.1 3s much better. I did find it eats through these tires pretty quickly and I have been having issues with the glue that keeps the body together is loose now. The bottom of the front windshield also had the adhesive come loose and it opened but did not break off thank god.
    This car is pretty darn quick at least 45 if not faster with no GPS or anything.
    Has anyone else had this issue??

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetydave44 View Post
    I have the same Blue GT. I installed the VXL system and used a 7.2 but like the 11.1 3s much better. I did find it eats through these tires pretty quickly and I have been having issues with the glue that keeps the body together is loose now. The bottom of the front windshield also had the adhesive come loose and it opened but did not break off thank god.
    This car is pretty darn quick at least 45 if not faster with no GPS or anything.
    Has anyone else had this issue??
    the double sided tape holding the roof wings down failed on mine, so I drilled a couple holes and fastened them down with 2.5mmx5mm button heads and locknuts. You could do the same and also add a couple to the base of the windshield. parts used were 2.5mm locknut traxxas 5158 and 2.5x5mm button heads traxxas 3347

imo this should have been done instead of using tape. when i get ahold of a clear body i will be doing the same mod and not using the tape.

Last edited by ScoJac; 08-01-2017 at 07:56 AM.

RC Competitor
    Well I went and did it, picked up a brushless motor and esc yesterday. Hopefully I get a chance to run it this afternoon.
    I went with the Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Waterproof Combo w/Sensored 1410 Motor (3800Kv) and a Robinson Racing 29t pinion.
    When Traxxas drops the new 55t spur gear (tra8358) I'll get that and a Robinson 34t or 35t pinion just to see what this baby XO-1 can do. I was originally thinking of going with the 5700 but decided that handling and stability is the first choice for me, sure 70mph would be cool to do but if I end up staying between 40-50 thats even better.

RC Competitor
    When I was trying to decide on which motor to go with I did some math to see the rpm ranges on different voltages. I decided the 3800kv was a better choice for me. Besides that leaves me room for playing with gearing and voltage rather than being stuck with a out of control missile.

In my original plan I was to pick up a 5700, but seeing that a 5700 on 2s is the same rpm as a 3800 on 3s, well I decided to just go with a lower kv and gear/voltage up if I need or want to later on.

Anyway, hope the #'s below can help some of you out on your decisions.

KV_________2S__________3S calc'd @4.2v per cell

550 12t_____25,200***____37,800***
    3500 VXL___29,400_______44,100
    3800_______31,920_______47,880
    4600_______38,640_______57,960
    5700_______47,880_______71,820
    6900_______57,960_______---n/a---
    7700_______64,680_______---n/a---

***from what i had found and read, a 12t brushed motor is in the neighborhood of a 3000kv motor. (rpm only, I do realize that brushed and brushless motors and not easily compared.)
    Last edited by ScoJac; 08-01-2017 at 09:06 AM.

RC Competitor
    I have the 3500 velineon in my gt with stock gearing, will put the gps in it once the parts come in Thursday! With the stock 21-70 gearing I'd guess around 40mph.....my xmaxx bone stock hits 41mph on gps....hits 39-40 super easy. It seems the gt is about as fast.

I had issues with over heating motor, but it was its first run with zero fans. I installed a motor and esc fan it ran perfectly cool. I'm gonna try the 25t pinon to increase speed....see what that does. Right now with the 21 it's hard to launch due to excessive wheelspin.

Forgot I run traxxas 3s lipo

RC Competitor
    Last night I did get a chance to get out and run her, IMPRESSED I must say !
    The handling and drivability was unaffected by the speed and torque increase. I ran her with the 29/70 gearing using a Gens Ace 2s 50c 5000mAh battery and was surprised with the speed increase, no idea how fast it ran so I ordered a SkyRC GPS unit that should hopefully be here on Thursday or Friday.
    My goal is to get a reading on this setup. My Brother is still on the brushed 12t motor and 2s, I want to get a reading on his GT with the 21 and the 25t pinions.
    Next time I go out I'll have the temp gun with me, if it's too hot I may back the pinion back to a 27t. I did pick up the Castle Motor fan, no idea if those the motor fans actually work that well ? I've been toying with the idea of making an air scoop that I can fasten to the inside of the body (similar to the air scoop in the bottom of the XO-1 chassis) this would be attached to the body and sit between the body and chassis and direct air on to the side of the motor. I've been collecting empty plastic bottles (milk, oj, laundry soaps) I'm thinking of using the handles as a scoop and air tunnel ?
    We'll see ?

RC Competitor
    I installed the 25t pinon last night.....WOW....huge increase in speed with the velineon 3500 and no loss in acceleration....I'd say it accelerates faster since there is less wheelspin. The 21t you had to roll into power or it would spin out. Now with th 25t you can almost floor it right off the line and it's gone.... I'm gonna buy the 29t tomorrow when the telemetry parts arrive so I can get some gps speed data.... I'd guess the 25t is around 50mph on 3s.

RC Competitor
    when you get the telemetry installed be sure to post up gps speeds on the different pinions and battery sizes.

also did you purchase the telemetry expander module, if so check out this video, looks like they used some stand offs and used the mounting holes on the rear diff housing where the links would mount if using the upper position.

RC Competitor
    I plan on mounting the telemetry expander in the same spot....close enough to get the temp sensor on the motor and voltage on the esc. Then I'll have full data on my phone and can record it.