RC poster

T Maxx 3.3 Direct replacement engine

Hi guys I just joined but I've searched and searched and only find discontinued engines. Only replacement that is recommended is a OS .21tm but I don't have that kind of money. I'm looking for something within the same price range as a 3.3 $140 but that is a little more reliable. I got my 3.3 rebuilt but its only been half a gallon and the pinch is almost non existent already.

Thanks in advance, Josh

If you are losing pinch at 1/2 gallon then there is not much care for the engine from beginning to this point. Is this your first nitro? Did you break-in properly? Did you store the piston at BDC when you were done for the day? After-run completed? Tune was fine/temps in check? If all but the first was "yes" then I find it hard to believe. And if you get something else you will have the same results.

The 3.3 should last 4 gallons or so if your first-ever nitro and near double that if you have tuning down and care for it. The 3.3 is really not that bad of an engine; throw a Losi carb and THS pipe and it will haul. Or you could go with a Dynamite .19 or Picco P-Max .21 if you can find them. Otherwise it will be the 3.3 or 21TM.
    The Super Derecho

Sounds like your running it kind of hard/hot or something if that's all the life you got out of it.

Granted, pinch feel is subjective and I don't notice a lot of it in my 3.3 or 2.5 engines after they are broken in.

I notice it more in my big block LRP28's and LRP30's after break-in though. Thats with a cold engine and the glowplug out while turning the crank with your fingers. I also notice it quite a bit on my 21TM engine even after 1+ gallons.

When it starts flaming out for no reason, that's when it's wearing out on you.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies,
    Well the guy who put the new sleeve and piston in, is really to blame. It seized on the first run(no needle adjustments) after breaking in, which he supposable did. Took it back to him and he took it apart and said it was a faulty bearing, after filling in the piston again it just doesn't run right. This is my very first nitro but I've been in the scene for awhile now and driven and helped adjust lots of nitros. My brother has a Revo 3.3 and a Slayer pro 3.3 and they usually run great with a few micro adjustments. This one is very temperamental requiring quarter turns to run right also it will not run at factory needle settings. So it may have just been a bad job done but I was mainly looking to see if anyone has purchased a comparable engine that is around the same price point. I'll more than likely end up getting another 3.3 but was hoping there was a better engine that could be had without breaking the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCoolDude View Post
    Hi guys I just joined but I've searched and searched and only find discontinued engines. Only replacement that is recommended is a OS .21tm but I don't have that kind of money. I'm looking for something within the same price range as a 3.3 $140 but that is a little more reliable. I got my 3.3 rebuilt but its only been half a gallon and the pinch is almost non existent already.

Thanks in advance, Josh
    No matter which engine you run, if you didn't tune it properly it will fail. Just turning the HSN to get some performance is NOT tuning the engine. The LSN is just as crucial as the HSN.

Losing pinch already? Are you checking this when the engine is warm or cold? Supposed to be cold.
    Filling in the piston??? Huh??

The only thing you can do with a worn sleeve is have it re-pinched by someone who knows what they are doing (no pipe clamps involved) or have it replaced...

A faulty bearing?? If it was never properly tuned (something you do practically every time you run it) I can see a possible bearing failure... Then again when I rebuild my engine I put in new bearings.. $35.00 for a full set of ceramics...

So not 1 thing points to the problem being the engine yet you want to get a different motor, treat it the same way you will get the same result...

I suggest before going any further in your Nitro engine decision go over thee tips along with the owners manual. Many parts of it work with all nitros like the tuning order, tuning with 1/2 a tank of fuel, the pinch test *however longer count for a BB"...

I use the 3.3 and have since it's existance, I've raced for 3 years, also always rebuilt and modd'd my internals. I get 6-8 gallons before I really start losing power. When racing, after 4 gallons I would freshen it up.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Dynamite has direct replacement for TRAXXAS as do a few others. Your starting system bolts right on. Use good fuel.