RC Competitor

Replacement Steering Linkage

Hi All

Has anyone come across a good replacement steering linkage (part #7747 - the short rod with the pivot balls) for their X-Maxx? I've upgraded the steering components and now this is the weakest point, even though I've played around with servo saver spring adjustments. The standard X-Maxx part bends, and the pivot ball pulls through the rod end on both the GPM version and the new Traxxas one that comes with the metal servo.
    I keep trying to buy adjustable ones to suit with aluminium rod ends, but when they arrive the pivot balls are too wide (or too narrow). Any suggestions?

MartyB

RC Racer
    Try making a different weak point. I left the stock toe links as a weak point in the steering. They're 4 bucks ea.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

This is what I did, and it has worked very well for me.

The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=ReglarGuy;6389694]This is what I did, and it has worked very well for me.

Thanks RegularGuy, but where can I get the tie rod ends from? (and how can I be sure that the pivot balls are the right size to fit into the servo horn?)

They are the rod ends that Traxxas uses for their Emaxx's and their Summit's, and they come with their own pivot balls in the package. You do have to shorten the rod ends a tad, so what I do is, I use a belt sander to get the length I want.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-31-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    They are the rod ends that Traxxas uses for their Emaxx's and their Summit's, and they come with their own pivot balls in the package. You do have to shorten the rod ends a tad, so what I do is, I use a belt sander to get the length I want.
    Where is that bolt from?
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

(lol) Ace Hardware. Doesn't help much does it. (lol) Anyway, now that you tickled my funny bone, you don't need that exact bolt before you can make your own steering link. If I remember right, I believe any 20mm x 4mm bolt/screw will do the trick. To be sure, though, just take your old linkage to your LHS and compare it to what hardware and Traxxas rod ends they have. Let your LHS know what you're trying to do, and I'm sure they will show you what they have that will work. All you need is the ability (at home) to be able to fine tune the length of your bolt/screw and your rod ends, so that your final effort is the exact same length as your Xmaxx's stock steering link.

...or, I've seen other members here use already made adjustable steering links that they have gotten on EBay. You may want to look up some of the older posts or take a peek at EBay. I, myself, just found it easier and faster to make my own.

Here is my original post that I wrote a while back. It gives you the information I couldn't remember above, and the information from the other guys too.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...e-untold-story

This is part of what is on the post:

This way seems to be the right way. It can still bend, but not nearly as easy. What I did was make a new one that has a steel rod in it for strength. The length from center ball to center ball is 1 7/8 inches long. The Traxxas P/N is 5525, and the bolt is 4mm x 30mm.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-01-2017 at 03:16 AM.