RC Competitor

Fast 4s setup, possible?

What would be needed for this boat to run on 4s but be in the 50mph range? What motor and esc would i need. Asking because 2s batteries are cheap and would rather spend money on lots of 2s batteries vs 3s batteries.

RC Enthusiast

4s setup

To be honest, I don't think it's possible, period. On a boat, there is no gearing like a car so while you might be able to get some more speed out of a new prop, I don't think any electronics can get a boat close to 50+ mph on 4s, just not enough power. My buddy put a Mamba Monster and hydra ICE 240 in his Spartan and tried 4s and it was no where near 50 mph. Plus, those batteries would get wayyy too hot. That being said, you could buy a TON of 3s lipos and a new prop instead of new electronics and you'd have your 50+ mph much easier.

RC Competitor
    So doesnt matter if i get a higher kv motor like 2650 or little higher amd run 4s with slightly smaller prop than stock?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BburlTM41 View Post
    So doesnt matter if i get a higher kv motor like 2650 or little higher amd run 4s with slightly smaller prop than stock?
    You might be able to get closer but if you're talking about the Castle 2650, finding a cooling jacket would be hard plus, it would be several hundred dollars to get that setup vs keeping stock and going 6s. I guess it's worth a shot to try but I'm not confident it would work. The smaller prop would most likely cavitate.

RC Competitor
    This is a nice boat and have a good bit of money invested. I feel like if i can reinforce the hull with fiberglass and or epoxy it would hold up well. My thing is, i run gens ace batts. Their 2s batteries are cheap. Im thinkin long term, what is the best option. For me 6s on stock setup doesnt quite cut it. I know i have to sink more money into this thing regardless. Upgrade esc and motor for 6s and spend more on batteries.. or upgrade esc and motor for 4s and spend less on batteries. 4s route i think esc and motor would be cheaper too but can it be done without heat issues on the batteries and wires.

Also had visions of dual motor setup in this boat. I only have a set of 3s batteries so each run is less than 10 mins. I wanna be out there for longer on the fastest setup i can be on for the cheapest price. Any advice, insight, etc is appreciated. I still kinda new. About a year or less into rc boat world.

If i reinforced the hull or even the whole boat what setup would be good on 6s for the added weight?

RC Enthusiast
    This is a nice boat and have a good bit of money invested. I feel like if i can reinforce the hull with fiberglass and or epoxy it would hold up well. My thing is, i run gens ace batts. Their 2s batteries are cheap. Im thinkin long term, what is the best option. For me 6s on stock setup doesnt quite cut it. I know i have to sink more money into this thing regardless. Upgrade esc and motor for 6s and spend more on batteries.. or upgrade esc and motor for 4s and spend less on batteries. 4s route i think esc and motor would be cheaper too but can it be done without heat issues on the batteries and wires.

Also had visions of dual motor setup in this boat. I only have a set of 3s batteries so each run is less than 10 mins. I wanna be out there for longer on the fastest setup i can be on for the cheapest price. Any advice, insight, etc is appreciated. I still kinda new. About a year or less into rc boat world.

If i reinforced the hull or even the whole boat what setup would be good on 6s for the added weight?
    If the 4s route is the one you choose to take, then I would interested in seeing how well you can get it to work. I guess if you're willing to spend the money on some new electronics, then it may be able to work. I recently talked to Castle and they said they might be bringing back a marine line next year. I may try that if they do and see if I can get some better 6s reliability because to be frank, the stock setup is best suited for 4s.

As far as your hull, I've heard of people getting theirs up to almost 70mph on the stock hull so I think you're fine with the way it comes. I would just focus on the powertrain+drivetrain and see how fast that puppy will fly!

RC Competitor
    You enjoy the stock setup on 4s? 6s is better IMO but with a 4s setup, batteries are half the cost, if not more than half. This is one of the reasons i want to make a fast 4s setup. 4s was a joke to me on the stock setup. Seeing such a big beautiful boat going so slow across the water, thats nonsense. 4s on the stock setup, for me, the batteries got too hot and so did the wires from the batts to the esc. The motor and esc were hotter than 6s but not by much from the feel or touch, didnt have a laser thermometer, just all by feel.

RC Enthusiast
    You enjoy the stock setup on 4s? 6s is better IMO but with a 4s setup, batteries are half the cost, if not more than half. This is one of the reasons i want to make a fast 4s setup. 4s was a joke to me on the stock setup. Seeing such a big beautiful boat going so slow across the water, thats nonsense. 4s on the stock setup, for me, the batteries got too hot and so did the wires from the batts to the esc. The motor and esc were hotter than 6s but not by much from the feel or touch, didnt have a laser thermometer, just all by feel.
    I'll be experimenting with setups once I get it out to my intended running place (Lake Saint Clair) which has muchhh colder water than anything around me. I want to see how both run and the heat associated with both before I commit one way or another. The only reason I'm not worried about the speed is because Saint Clair is generally much rougher than most inland lakes so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the speed all the time. I'll update whenever I am able to take a trip.